Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AB Gold for Australians

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
AB Gold for Australians

Hi, I have just been status matched by AB and have since booked 2 x Business Class return tickets Sydney <> Arlanda. Previously I was *A, so these status match programs do bring benefits to the airlines.

My question is : since AB Gold gives you access to both Virgin (AB Partner) and QANTAS (OneWorld) lounges in Australia why wouldn't AB be my program of choice from now on?
Old May 8, 2015, 3:12 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
According to the website, it gives you access to the VA lounge and QR lounge as well. However, AB usually requires you to purchase higher fare with partner airline to earn miles.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:09 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Yes - access lounges to BOTH VA and QF lounges. VA Lounge Reps are sometimes surprised AB card gives access - have a printout of the rules from airberlin.com
Old May 11, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
To answer OP's question: lounge access is not everything. it depends on your priorities, such as
- the program your credit card gives you points for
- the earn/burn ratio of points on your typical flights and for the awards you aim at
- requalification levels given your flight pattern
- other airlines you may fly with (Air Berlin's program does not help for Singapore airlines and Air NZ, for example)
- etc., etc.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is AB in an alliance? If so, do you get all of the alliance (what level) benefits from AB Gold?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
AB is a regular member of oneworld and their silver, gold, plat status translates into the respective oneworld stati ruby, saphire and emerald.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
AB is a regular member of oneworld and their silver, gold, plat status translates into the respective oneworld stati ruby, saphire and emerald.
Also (and importantly for me in Australia) they have an alliance with Virgin Australia. This covers the two airline groups in Australia hence its simplicity is attractive to me.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cityflyer369
To answer OP's question: lounge access is not everything. it depends on your priorities, such as
- the program your credit card gives you points for
- the earn/burn ratio of points on your typical flights and for the awards you aim at
- requalification levels given your flight pattern
- other airlines you may fly with (Air Berlin's program does not help for Singapore airlines and Air NZ, for example)
- etc., etc.
Yes - of course you are right. I started trying to compare different programs and you need a slide rule and a degree in mathematics to try and work it out. I've been loyal *A Gold for about 15 years but it's all getting a bit boring so I'm looking for an alternative, but calculating points, status credits, minimum credits on the "sponsoring" airline all did my head in.

So I think I'll just suck it and see.

I don't travel or spend enough on my credit card to get many rewards. I barely cross the gold threshold each qualification period and of all the FF benefits the Gold card is the most important to me (lounge and priority checkin in particular).
Old May 18, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
I agree with all that has been said. AB is a decent airline, they never let me down in about 150 flights. However two words of caution:

- AB is financially in a very difficult situation. They are making huge losses despite very good load factors and have almost burned their statutory capital. Their main shareholder EY is not allowed to provide new capital, right now, due to EU regulation. Their FFP is a separate legal entity, with different shareholders, but I'm not sure how safe your miles would be in case of a bankruptcy (which I hope will never happen!)

- Online booking of awards ticket is working perfectly for AB operated flights, but I never succeeded with any partner airlines. You may book them by phone, though.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
award booking

Award booking was a pain with AB, I just made a simple booking from SIN to CDG on QR J class, it took the agent nearly an hour, and not all of them speaks English.
Old May 18, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiss_global
- Online booking of awards ticket is working perfectly for AB operated flights, but I never succeeded with any partner airlines. You may book them by phone, though.
Thanks for your input.

I think booking partner reward flights is always a call centre thing. SQ and TK are my previous experiences and they are the same.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:00 am

AB Plat/Gold is one of the most useful tiers around for Australians because of the benefits on EY and VA. Once the Etihad Partners alliance is up and running, there will be further airlines where you will receive the same benefits.

You end up getting benefits on both QF and VA, as well as both EY and QR, which feels a bit weird
Old May 23, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Thanks for your input.

I think booking partner reward flights is always a call centre thing. SQ and TK are my previous experiences and they are the same.
Same with SK (and also with LH's miles-and-more if I remember correctly). So yeah booking partner awards on the phone is pretty common. But still crap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.