Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Booked LIN-DUS-JFK , is it really possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Have this flight on hold at aa.com:

AIRBERLIN 8743 Milan
(LIN)
Sat Oct 24
10:50 AM Dusseldorf
(DUS)
Sat Oct 24
12:20 PM Economy X unassigned
unassigned
Snack

AIRBERLIN 7450 Dusseldorf
(DUS)
Sat Oct 24
01:05 PM New York
(JFK)
Sat Oct 24
03:30 PM Business U unassigned
unassigned
Meal

How is this possible with only 25 minutes between flights? Since they allowed the booking I assumed its feasible. Any input from experienced Air Berliners?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
It is a legal connection if travelling on the same ticket (45 mins connection time, MCT at DUS is 35 mins). It's doable comfortably if the incoming flight is on time, but there's no margin for delays.

So it depends a bit on what your plans are at JFK. If there's a major delay they will probably put you in a hotel and on the next day flight, which may be acceptable or not depending on your plans.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I meant 45 minutes in the OP. I assume I don't have to clear customs since I am flying onward? It would not be a disaster if I missed the flight and got back on Sunday. BTW I realize that a checked bag at AB is considered a donation to a great abyss so I would be traveling with only carryons.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Robl
Thanks for the response. I meant 45 minutes in the OP. I assume I don't have to clear customs since I am flying onward? It would not be a disaster if I missed the flight and got back on Sunday. BTW I realize that a checked bag at AB is considered a donation to a great abyss so I would be traveling with only carryons.
If everything is on time, it works.
DUS is very convenient for connections.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I assume I don't have to clear customs since I am flying onward?
You will have to go trough customs at some time as you are leaving the Schengen area on a US-bound flight.

Most likely you will arrive from LIN in Terminal B and the JFK flight will be going from Terminal C. No huge distances involved though, so you should be OK
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
As Alien said, you have to pass immigration/customs, but no security control (except the random control at the gate for US bound flights).
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I know there is a dedicated immigration desk for transit coming into Schengen. Not sure if there is one leaving Schengen. If not, the connection is tight. If flight is delayed, alternatives could include a reroute via LHR.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I know there is a dedicated immigration desk for transit coming into Schengen. Not sure if there is one leaving Schengen. If not, the connection is tight. If flight is delayed, alternatives could include a reroute via LHR.
OP doesn't need to worry on this. On the way out he is already in Schengen from LIN to DUS. Only leaves Schengen at DUS. So no pp control until leaving DUS. There will definitely be one there, it's what is known as an external Schengen border. Same on the way back if the routing is identical: pp control at JFK and DUS on arrival, but thereafter no more on routing to LIN, as DUS-LIN is within Schengen.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:27 pm

BTW I realize that a checked bag at AB is considered a donation to a great abyss so I would be traveling with only carryons.
Not entirely sure about the validity of this. Checked baggage can be a kind of insurance policy on connecting flights (esp. to USA) since airlines hate it when bags are on and passenger isn't. If your bags are there, then they will definitely try and get you on the forward flight rather than offload your bags in case you aren't...
Old Nov 28, 2014, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Not entirely sure about the validity of this. Checked baggage can be a kind of insurance policy on connecting flights (esp. to USA) since airlines hate it when bags are on and passenger isn't. If your bags are there, then they will definitely try and get you on the forward flight rather than offload your bags in case you aren't...
Perhaps but threads like this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...nightmare.html scare me. My wife and I generally travel light.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 2:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
OP doesn't need to worry on this. On the way out he is already in Schengen from LIN to DUS. Only leaves Schengen at DUS. So no pp control until leaving DUS. There will definitely be one there, it's what is known as an external Schengen border. Same on the way back if the routing is identical: pp control at JFK and DUS on arrival, but thereafter no more on routing to LIN, as DUS-LIN is within Schengen.
I was referring to whether there is a outgoing immigration control dedicated to transit passengers in Terminal C; similar to the incoming dedicated to transit passengers which I know exist.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Air Berlin Platinum, Lufthansa Silver, IHG Platinum
Yes, but i also see a good chance of overtaking your bags and they don't check for that. With no queues at customs you can connect from any gate in B to any gate in C in ten minutes, your bags will need more time.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:28 pm

I have flown 6 segments on AB and the checked bags have arrived every single time.

On the way home, of course, I don't really care whether they arrive on time or not, but they did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.