Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Is EY or QR gold card more useful on AB?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi

Next month I’m flying LAX-DUS on AB in economy. From the AB website it says “The selection of complimentary drinks has been extended to include a choice of aperitifs, wine, sparking wine, beer, liqueurs and spirits.” Does anyone have a list of which drinks are offered? Can you get a gin and tonic? Are drinks free throughout the flight, or limited to meal times only? Is the sparkling wine a nice champagne, or a cheap sekt/Prosecco?

Also, I have an Etihad Gold card and Qatar Gold (Oneworld Sapphire). Which of these cards is more useful on AB? I read somewhere that I can’t get into the LAX lounge (the designated lounge is the OneWorld lounge) with an EY card.

Finally, I’m planning on self-connecting onto Etihad Regional (F7) in DUS to STN. Is F7 handled by AB in DUS? Does F7 use the AB lounge in DUS?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:29 pm

I would say Qatar gold because it is part of the Oneworld alliance which AB is part of. You should be able to get into the LAX lounge with Qatar Gold.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:08 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
champagne in Eco? no way! you need to fly AF for this. In business they have indeed champange, but in Eco I believe it´s a prosecco.

I just flew DUS-LAX-DUS, they indeed have a couple of liqueurs and spirits on board and I believe including a gin and tonic (not 100% sure). To my experience they are also happy to serve it after meal service.

Qatar gold will bring you in the newly renovated OW Lounge in LAX TBIT.

F7 is not part of OW, so I doubt you will get lounge access in DUS, especially with a QR card
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
For the reasons already stated I'd use QR on the longhaul. However, I think F7 honors the EY FFP and therefore I'd use that program for F7. I dont know if itmgets you into the lounge, but at least there is a chance ...
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Since I posted the original question, i've made it to Emerald (QR Platinum) so will keep the QR number in the booking. I should be able to get into the LAX OneWorld First lounge this way. Following a conversation with Etihad Regional, an Etihad Gold card bascially does nothing for you. No lounge access in DUS
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Congratulations on achieving OWE!

Generally, AB is more generous to EY Gold than to OWS - I have AA Platinum and OWS, so only entitled to check in 1 bag free of charge - no additional allowance for OWS. However, they do allow EY Golds to check in 2 bags free of charge. In your case, that is mooth point since you now have OWE status. If you didn't, I would have entered my EY Gold number on the reservation and showed my QR card at the OW lounge at LAX TBIT for lounge access.

Since you just made OWE and may not have the actual card in hand yet, I would just stick to the QR Platinum.

Not sure what benefits you may receive flying Etihad Regional with your Etihad Gold card but you certainly won't get any as QR Platinum. I think that you'll definitely be able to get lounge access at DUS with the Etihad Gold card. AB shares a lounge with Etihad in Terminal C but Etihad Regional flies out of Terminal B - thus, you may try the Hugo Junkers lounge. It's fairly decent. Worst case scenario, you won't get in. Good Luck!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:23 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
in case you don´t make it into the Hugo Junkers lounge in DUS, check out AB´s exclusive waiting-area in Terminal B level 1. Your EY Gold card gives you free access to those waiting areas. It´s not a real lounge, but better than nothing, free coffee/tea/drinks, some nice seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.