Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carryon Medical Devices

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Carryon Medical Devices

I will be traveling on AB next summer with AA award miles leaving ORD to FCO via Berlin.

What are AB's rules regarding carrying on medical devices (CPAP). Does it count as the carry on, or is it exempt like in the US?

Cheers.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by ScrapAddict
I will be traveling on AB next summer with AA award miles leaving ORD to FCO via Berlin.

What are AB's rules regarding carrying on medical devices (CPAP). Does it count as the carry on, or is it exempt like in the US?

Cheers.
A CPAP is exempt from carry on requirements in US? I didn't know that. However, the CPAP is clearly listed on airberlins website.......

Transporting medical equipment

Special baggage for medical purposes (ventilators, inhalers, walking aids, etc.) is transported free of charge on presentation of a medical certificate. Medicines can also be carried free of charge if accompanied by a doctor’s prescription. Free baggage for medical purposes may only contain medical equipment or medicines prescribed by a doctor, otherwise the normal baggage regulations come into force.

Each passenger is limited to one item of baggage for carrying medical equipment.
If transported as checked baggage the maximum weight allowance is 23 kg.
Medical baggage is not calculated as part of the free baggage allowance.
For safety reasons, all medical equipment must be registered in advance via the airberlin Service Center.
It is obligatory to register medical equipment in writing (by post, fax or email); passengers who are in possession of an appropriate severe disability pass can register by calling our Service Center.

The following types of special baggage for medical purposes are transported free of charge under the above-mentioned conditions:
• ventilators, asthma equipment, inhalers
• CPAP devices
• catheters
• materials for dressings
• walking aids (crutches, walking frames)
• wheelchairs incl. accessories (with the current restrictions)LINK?
• sanitary products (nappies), stoma
• shower/WC-seat, transfer board for wheelchair users
• protheses
• doctors' emergency cases
• dialysis machines, defibrillators, lymphatic draining devices, electrotherapy devices
• suction equipment, irrigators
• medicines and injections

Medical aids and equipment (e.g. respirators, inhalers and walking aids), as well as medication, are carried free of charge on presentation of the appropriate medical certificate.
We recommend packing medical baggage separately. Please also note the
EU cabin baggage regulations »

Further information can be found here: Safety regulations for the carriage of passengers with reduced mobility »

If you plan on traveling with a respiratory assistance device such as a respirator, ventilator, Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC), or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine, we encourage you to contact a reservations agent well in advance of your flight. Please note, passengers traveling to or from the United States may be required to provide enough batteries to power the device for at least 150% of the maximum flight duration and in some cases, the number of spare lithium ion batteries you can bring with you in the cabin may be limited for safety reasons.
http://www.airberlin.com/en-GB/site/...ies_reisen.php
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was looking under AB's baggage policy, but only found their comments re: wheelchairs, canes, etc.

This is good info. I will make sure I bring my prescription from my doctor. As to in the US, I guess exempt might be too strong a word. I just know that when it's in its bag, it doesn't count as a carryon when traveling in the US. And I never needed to show a prescription.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:01 am
m44

Programs: USAir
I hope you read their rules -- watch out for the key words which in some locations have more meaning than one thinks: "on presentation of a medical certificate", "if accompanied by a doctor’s prescription", "It is obligatory to register medical equipment in writing (by post, fax or email);".
The meaning will be given by the locals, mostly without sufficient training, based on their local customs of how medical certificate or prescription looks like (more rubber stamps the better), and based on individual demeanor of the day. And if you think you wrap your CPAP in a sweatshirt for protection - think gain - I can name some airports where there is high likelihood that they will use the rule:"Free baggage for medical purposes may only contain medical equipment or medicines prescribed by a doctor, otherwise the normal baggage regulations come into force."
Good luck.
My last experience with Airberlin (or some European airports employees) was that they simply refused to check in luggage through because USAirways issued two connecting tickets (one on USAirways and the other on Airberlin - they were unable to do a single ticket because of some glitch) and USAirways place a remark in the itinerary but airport checkin counter for Airberlin and their representative (also airport employee) refused. And be prepared to shlep your stuff through airport in Berlin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.