Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB Flight Cancellation, EU 261 Compensation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Silver, SPG Preferred Plus

I have questions regarding EU 261 compensation from the cancellation of an Air Berlin flight -- mods, please move if there is a more appropriate location for this. I appreciate any insights the FT community may have.

Situation:
  • Booked an award flight from TXL-JFK on Air Berlin, using BA Avios.
  • Air Berlin flight was cancelled on the day of the flight approximately 4 hours before scheduled departure. Only found out about it via a TripIt alert.
  • When I asked our hotel's concierge to call Air Berlin regarding alternative flights, the response the concierge received was that it wasn't Air Berlin's problem.
  • British Air thankfully put us on a flight that connected in London to Newark, arriving a couple of hours (at Newark) after the original JFK flight would have landed.

Questions:
  • Given this set of circumstances, do I have a valid EU 261 claim against Air Berlin?
  • If yes, is there a specific time period in which I have to file such a claim?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Depends on reason of cancellation and how many hours is a "couple of hours?"
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: TopBonus, Miles&More
indeed, you may have a claim but it depends on a number of factors, I would read over the regulations to determine exactly what sort of claim you might have,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004

I once filed for a delayed flight with AB under EU261 and, though it took a while to wend its way through their system, I was eventually awarded the claim.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:32 am
Original Poster

No reason was provided for the cancellation at the time. I am fairly sure it was not weather -- conditions were good in Berlin and New York.

Arrival was about 2 hours late into Newark, about 3 hours late into JFK-area. Did not affect connecting flights (overnight in JFK and flew out the following morning).

I might just use a service like EUClaim and have them sort it out.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Originally Posted by nightmarch
No reason was provided for the cancellation at the time. I am fairly sure it was not weather -- conditions were good in Berlin and New York.

Arrival was about 2 hours late into Newark, about 3 hours late into JFK-area. Did not affect connecting flights (overnight in JFK and flew out the following morning).

I might just use a service like EUClaim and have them sort it out.

Thanks again for the responses.
It would be great if you could report back on what you ended up doing and achieving. This is an interesting case... you got to the destination in less than the "allowed" delay, but it should have been AB making arrangements not BA. Maybe if you had been at the airport or called AB they might have ended up arranging the same thing. Interesting how that part of the rule would be interpreted...
Old Jul 1, 2014, 6:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

I don't think BA changing the flight makes a difference. They are acting as agent. I think what is relevant is when OP arrived vs original scheduled arrival.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Just to update this with our result: I gave EUClaim our details and their interpretation was that we didn't have a good chance of winning a claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.