Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Gourmet meals in Y. Are they worth ordering ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat

Flying Lax -dus in 2 weeks. I note that AB offers what they call Gourmet Meals in Y. Does anyone have an experience they can share as to whether I should preorder an upgraded meal? Is it worth the time an effort?
Old May 20, 2013, 6:24 am

It is not worth the effort because the effort will not yield any positive result.
There is no gourmet feed on longhaul operations.
Old May 21, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
as jetlag said - "our service on long-haul flights does not include Gourmet meals".

Check out their offerings here: http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...LANG=eng&cid=2.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

AB website that you can special order gourmet meals in Y

The website has about 8-10 meals they say are gourmet that you can prepay and order 48 hours in advance. This is in addition to special dietary requests. I am curious if anyone has experience with the quality of these special meals.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Srklaw7
The website has about 8-10 meals they say are gourmet that you can prepay and order 48 hours in advance. This is in addition to special dietary requests. I am curious if anyone has experience with the quality of these special meals.
You're referring to the "Sansibar" offerings, right? (http://www.airberlin.com/site/affili...ssen_menue.pdf) The quality of these meals is pretty decent. I had the omelette and some of the pasta dishes a few times and can recommend them.
But, as noted, these are not available on LAX-DUS .
Old May 22, 2013, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Yes those are the meals I was referring to. I was not aware they were not available on the Lax -Dus flight. The website did not make that clear. Thank you for the help.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Gold, IHG Platinum
Flying LHR - DUS - AYT and would happily pay for a reasonable meal on the DUS-AYT sector, but when I try online the option is grayed out?

Booking via TA and BA on the first sector. Guess this is the problem, but any idea if you can still book meals?
Old May 24, 2013, 7:51 am

Yes, when you have booked via travel agent or tour operator, the website for booking meals is different:
https://www.airberlin.com/booking/po...ator/index.php
Old May 24, 2013, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yes, when you have booked via travel agent or tour operator, the website for booking meals is different:
https://www.airberlin.com/booking/po...ator/index.php
Thanks, but it seems like that's for a fairly small list of tour operators?

Mine flights were booked via a corporate TA.
Old May 25, 2013, 2:30 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ultimate, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by stevea1234
Flying LHR - DUS - AYT and would happily pay for a reasonable meal on the DUS-AYT sector, but when I try online the option is grayed out?

Booking via TA and BA on the first sector. Guess this is the problem, but any idea if you can still book meals?
If your flight is in more than 30 days then you won't be able to book your meal.

"We will need to receive your order no more than 30 days and at least 48 hrs. before the flight. During this period you can also pre-order your gourmet meal immediately after you have booked your flight online."

http://mobile.airberlin.com/es/infor...etails/service
Old Jun 8, 2013, 1:48 am

OK, couldn't order online, but no problem with ordering on the flight.

Very good meal as well. I was surprised though as on a full 737-800 I was the only person that ordered? I guess most of the flight was going on vacation, so they considered 12 Euros expensive. For me, it was well worth it when comparing it to the sandwich that was served.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I ordered continental breakfast on the TXL-VIE flight and was very pleased with what was delivered to my seat.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
It is a nice option to be able to pre purchase a hot meal in addition to a limited number of the more popular selections being boarded should passengers decide to purchase one in flight. I ordered a holiday special selection of duck with red cabbage, apple, and roasted potatoes before Christmas a few years ago and found it a good way to have something more substantial to eat than their sandwich offering which was still given to me anyway. I was connecting to another shorter AB flight which was below the time frame to have sandwiches so it was pay for an on board meal, grab something in the terminal during the connection or wait until my arrival to have something substantial. Just as few will pay for the food and drink offering on Ryanair or Easyjet, few on AB will spring for this service, particularly when a sandwich and beverage is included in the fare but it is a great convenience for those interested in springing a few euro.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
I can aboslutely recommend these "gourmet" meals. I tried both the duck with red cabbage and the chicken curry with coconut on my two AB flights last week and they were both delicious. Reasonably priced too. When you have a late flight and just want to find your hotel and go to bed upon arrival, it's not a bad idea to have something to eat on the plane, and these meals are quite filling.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I can't seem to find an order page on my flight reservation. I assume they don't offer these on domestic flights? (TXL-FRA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.