Wiki Posts
Search

Opening of new BER airport delayed

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW Sapphire
Opening of new BER airport delayed

The opening of the new Berlin-Brandenburg Int'l airport, scheduled for June 3rd, is to be delayed "until sometime after summer, but 2012." Press conference today at 1pm. Seems the fire protection systems are nowhere near ready.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/sc...r/6604068.html
Old May 8, 2012, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Not good. However, I was almost going to book a flight on AB from BER to LAX on the 4th to "experience" the new place (and the the OW fare was only around 550 USD ^). Now I'm glad that I read this first. Well, it looks like Tegal and I will still be seeing each other for the next few months.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
according to the Tagespiel this morning the date expected is now October 28th, 2012.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Not good. However, I was almost going to book a flight on AB from BER to LAX on the 4th to "experience" the new place (and the the OW fare was only around 550 USD ^). Now I'm glad that I read this first. Well, it looks like Tegal and I will still be seeing each other for the next few months.
Old May 15, 2012, 2:16 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
It seems that Air Berlin has adjusted their schedule and their reservation system. All flights until early August now show as leaving/arriving in TXL.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Is there any option to cancel a flight already booked if the primary intent was to fly out of BER?
Old May 15, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
you can cancel and lose the change fee and bank the rest towards future travel but that's about it. you're still technically going to fly into the city of Berlin so doubt you have an "out"
Originally Posted by Coathanger
Is there any option to cancel a flight already booked if the primary intent was to fly out of BER?
Old May 15, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Coathanger
ON the other side of the coin is what happens to those who booked on the last flight ever out of TXL on AB??? AB promoted that flight for the sole purpose of being on the last flight out.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by berlindave
according to the Tagespiel this morning the date expected is now October 28th, 2012.
yikes.
Berlin airport opening delayed to March
Old May 21, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: Various
I was thinking of trying out the LAX-BER flight this Summer as well....still might do it.

Quite a shame about the BER airport delays. Air Berlin is quite upset about it, claiming they have to contact a million customers and re-arrange their scheduling. Meanwhile, Air Berlin is still moving forward with their expansions in service; as if nothing is going on? Seems most airlines would put the brakes on increasing service if the airport will not be ready and TXL likely not capable of handling the volume of business.

Air Berlin...I think you need to pull back the reins a bit. Otherwise you're creating more work for yourself, and making commitments you might not be able to keep, which could lead to poor guest service that you cannot recover.
"Don't be too proud"
Old May 25, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Robt760
I was thinking of trying out the LAX-BER flight this Summer as well....still might do it.

Quite a shame about the BER airport delays. Air Berlin is quite upset about it, claiming they have to contact a million customers and re-arrange their scheduling. Meanwhile, Air Berlin is still moving forward with their expansions in service; as if nothing is going on? Seems most airlines would put the brakes on increasing service if the airport will not be ready and TXL likely not capable of handling the volume of business.

Air Berlin...I think you need to pull back the reins a bit. Otherwise you're creating more work for yourself, and making commitments you might not be able to keep, which could lead to poor guest service that you cannot recover.
"Don't be too proud"
I think Lufthansa is more in a bind than AB. They were the ones who seemed to be adding a bunch of new service out of BER, albeit on a lot of regional jets. Their 49 Euro flight billboards are all over the city. And since the summer bookings into and out of Berlin are probably quite heavy for both carriers at this point, I don't see any schedule cutbacks until the autumn. So plan on taking the bus to your remote-parked plane at TXL for the forseeable future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.