Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Etihad increases stake in Air Berlin to 30%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold

FRANKFURT, Dec 19 (Reuters) - Etihad Airways threw
a lifeline to ailing Air Berlin and gained access to more European routes by raising its stake in the German airline to 30 percent and lending it $255 million.

http://www.lse.co.uk/FinanceNews.asp...den_Air_Berlin
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Extremely interesting. AB also to give up Dubai flights and - logically - focus on Abu Dhabi, as well as lots of code-sharing.

Wondering what this may mean for oneworld membership?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
According to that article above, they will still join OW as planned next year (April 2012 seems to be the planned date - though it may slip to June to coincide with the move to Berlin Brandenburg International airport).

The press release on the Etihad website also states:
"airberlin has signed up for membership to the global airline alliance oneworldŽ and is expected to become a full member by spring 2012."

Edit: you probably meant Etihad joining OW? Etihad is probably still a long way off joining any alliance - I wouldn't think this would have any immediate impact, and might not necessarily sway them towards OW. Besides - if, as has been rumoured, Etihad is involved with Virgin's attempt to buy bmi from Lufthansa, then they may also find themselves dabbling with ownership of a *A airline. Though this deal with Air Berlin might be enough deal making for them for now.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:48 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Talking Airberlin and Etihad

Ethiad

On the 15th of January .. cooperation between both FFPs, topbonus and Etihad Guest, with the following benefits:

* Collect and redeem topbonus award miles on all flights with Etihad Airways
* Collect topbonus status miles on all flights with Etihad Airways
* Priority check-in for top tier members
* Excess baggage allowance for top tier members

^ ^ ^

even on video
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Much more relevant for me that I can now collect Avios (and soon Tier Points) on Executive Club.
My first Avios-earning AB flight will be in a week - yippieh!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 4:29 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Flights between TXL and AUH on AB started on Jan 15, 4x per week

Flights leave TXL at 21:35 on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Sundays and arrive AUH the next morning at 6:35.

Flights leave AUH at 8:20 on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and arrive at TXL at 12:00 noon.

Aircraft is A332.

I checked the flights for the next two weeks and every booking class is open with 9+ seats available.

Fares are very attractive for TXL-AUH, even on short term bookings and even one-way:

AB W oneway: 44 Euro + tax
AB W return: 138 Euro + tax
AB I (biz) oneway: 834 Euro + tax
AB I return: 708 Euro + tax

Similar fares in eco return on the EY codeshare, otherwise much more expensive on EY.

On days without the nonstop, routing is offered with EY longhaul and AB connector via FRA, MUC, DUS, MXP, LHR and interestingly the same low booking classes (and fares) are available for the next two weeks on almost every of these flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.