Search

New AP benefits coming?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 3:35 am
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: A few
New AP benefits coming?

Was talking to an NZ staff member recently who mentioned the roll out of new benefits for G and GE referred to by Rob Fyfe earlier. Something about 'Kingfish' and a new level 'Black'? Any details?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Did they give you a timeframe of the change?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:53 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: A few
July for AKL, and September for CHC - I think this is something to do with checking via mobile phone, or at least something involving mobiles.

Re. Black - it appears this is a status level for which even smart saver fares count.

Anyone have more info?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:45 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Black is the new Gold Elite+ ?

Originally Posted by CHC Kiwi
July for AKL, and September for CHC - I think this is something to do with checking via mobile phone, or at least something involving mobiles.

Re. Black - it appears this is a status level for which even smart saver fares count.

Anyone have more info?
Well, Rob Fyfe has been saying for months that Gold Elite would be further segmented, but this is a crazy way to do it. By definition, the highest elites should be the highest yield passengers, rather than being encouraged to fly deeply discounted economy.

I can tell you though what this Gold Elite would like to see......

The things I miss are:
1) The annual buy one Business Class long-haul take a friend free special.
2) Gold Elite "Confirmed" upgrades into Business Premier are basically unobtainable, as they depend upon non-existent R or Z class inventory, whereas the 777 flights to LAX/SFO/YVR usually only have C loaded, and often not even D class.

I would like the new "Black" top elite category to get:
1) Limo transfers up to 100 km of departure/arrival airports where buying a Business Class ticket.
2) The ability once per year to upgrade using points or annual elite vouchers a U (top fare Premium Economy) ticket into any Business Class seat (C or D or Z or I or R) at the time of purchase, and the ability to upgrade any U class fare into a D or Z class fare at any time.
3) The ability to upgrade Y,B,H or M class Full Economy seats using points or vouchers into O class Premium Economy at any time.
Old May 1, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: AA1MM, QF/NZ/VA/UA/DL, etc...
Originally Posted by DCF
2) Gold Elite "Confirmed" upgrades into Business Premier are basically unobtainable, as they depend upon non-existent R or Z class inventory, whereas the 777 flights to LAX/SFO/YVR usually only have C loaded, and often not even D class.

1) Limo transfers up to 100 km of departure/arrival airports where buying a Business Class ticket.
2) The ability once per year to upgrade using points or annual elite vouchers a U (top fare Premium Economy) ticket into any Business Class seat (C or D or Z or I or R) at the time of purchase, and the ability to upgrade any U class fare into a D or Z class fare at any time.
3) The ability to upgrade Y,B,H or M class Full Economy seats using points or vouchers into O class Premium Economy at any time.
Those are great ideas - I've only been GE fairly recently, so had no idea they used to have a fly one friend free promotion! Reminds me of the days when I used to easily get companion tickets using my AA miles on QF longhaul....*sigh*....

I've been pretty fortunate so far grabbing Z seats for BP for the rest of the year (not that many flights tho), but I've only seen R very rarely, and it seems to disappear when I get around to wanting to use one of my Comps, haha...

So I would second your wish for easier upgrades, as I haven't been able to use my Comps for many, many moons.
Old May 5, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
Airpoints Long Haul Awards

It used to be that a gold elite could get any available seat on a flight, but that was quietly dropped! Now I agree its virtually impossible to get long haul business class seats.

But it gets worse. If you fly NZ Business AKL-LHR you earn 740 airpoints. NZ claim you can book any seat on any flight and you can. But at the $12,500 I often see for a ticket to London it takes over 16 return trips to take a partner. Even the "impossible to get discounted seats" it takes over 6 trips and you just cant get them.

In comparison I can get a business class trip on Singapore Airlines for every 4 business class flights. What it used to be on NZ!

I can also book it on the web (15% discount) and availability is generally excellent if you book a couple of months out!

I'm still NZ Gold Elite but only for short haul, for long haul I support the airline that supports my loyalty!

I lament NZ just simply do not understand this point.

When I recently explained to them they had lost over $70k in the last 6 months their response was yes but if we gave away a free seat we would loose $12k revenue. I said no you have lost $70k, but they just dont see it!

What I have found is often plenty of last minute stand by upgrades available, I guess they figure they would rather give it away for free at the last minute than support loyal customers.

Rant over!
Old May 6, 2008, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi_FF
It used to be that a gold elite could get any available seat on a flight, but that was quietly dropped! Now I agree its virtually impossible to get long haul business class seats.

But it gets worse. If you fly NZ Business AKL-LHR you earn 740 airpoints. NZ claim you can book any seat on any flight and you can. But at the $12,500 I often see for a ticket to London it takes over 16 return trips to take a partner. Even the "impossible to get discounted seats" it takes over 6 trips and you just cant get them.

In comparison I can get a business class trip on Singapore Airlines for every 4 business class flights. What it used to be on NZ!

I can also book it on the web (15% discount) and availability is generally excellent if you book a couple of months out!

I'm still NZ Gold Elite but only for short haul, for long haul I support the airline that supports my loyalty!

I lament NZ just simply do not understand this point.

When I recently explained to them they had lost over $70k in the last 6 months their response was yes but if we gave away a free seat we would loose $12k revenue. I said no you have lost $70k, but they just dont see it!

What I have found is often plenty of last minute stand by upgrades available, I guess they figure they would rather give it away for free at the last minute than support loyal customers.

Rant over!
I agree entirely.

Luckily one does not have to credit their NZ flights to Airpoints!
Old May 6, 2008, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi_FF

This is quite interesting to read - looks like pretty much all the FFPs have been steadily devaluing over the years. Yikes!

The thing that confuses me is that I also read on the SQ forum about complaints of Krisflyer and PPS, but it sounds like it's actually an easier program to book awards? So those free flights you get after 4 paid in J - are you talking about using miles to outright buy an award flight, or an upgrade?

Another question - the 15% discount, is this discount relative to NZ or to booking SQ thru a TA?

As for NZ, I have never had an upgrade request not go through, but I must admit I often go for the Confirmed U/G as I can't stand the lottery approach to Standby U/Gs...usually when I travel solo, I do the former, but am happy to do the latter if I'm travelling with a companion.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by RandyNZ
Another question - the 15% discount, is this discount relative to NZ or to booking SQ thru a TA?
No. Kris Flyer awards have a 15% online booking discount, subject to eligibility.

Originally Posted by RandyNZ
As for NZ, I have never had an upgrade request not go through, but I must admit I often go for the Confirmed U/G as I can't stand the lottery approach to Standby U/Gs...usually when I travel solo, I do the former, but am happy to do the latter if I'm travelling with a companion.
You're lucky, or else don't fly peak-demand flights.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:18 pm

I basically do the AKL-LAX run, very rarely TT, and only once into SFO. Haven't done HKG or LHR on NZ yet. Typically, I depart AKL on a Thurs/Fri, and LAX on a Sat. My trips to SE Asia usually are on SQ or TG, occas QF. But I'm sure I don't fly enough to hit the law of averages - less chances to lose out, I suppose.

Now that I think about it, there was one time last June when I couldn't get a Confirmed or Comp U/G and just paid the fare difference to BP for that one flight, but aside from that, yes, have been very lucky!

I remember one Standby U/G a friend and I got last minute at the gate in LAX, heading back to AKL - we ended up on the upper deck exit row in the old business seat. Leg rest didn't work anymore, but I wasn't going to complain as I was thrilled to snag a good seat. There was an American couple who were very unhappy as their TA had reassured them they'd get the new BP. The stern matronly FA didn't put up with any lip from those two - quite funny to watch!
Old May 6, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
Leg rest didn't work anymore
I have a solid aluminium brief case (raises a few eyebrows with security occasionally). I have long legs and with a blanket over it, it made a great footrest for the old J class seats.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
I dont think rob fyfe gives a toos to be honest

The airline has lost its plot with Premium FF , I agree with all that is said in regards to the airline attitude , they would rather wait till the gate and give low value UG rather than cfm them for you, thats been my experience recently to lax and yvr, i did the nailbite and got both but I spent HOURS arguing with them over the inability to cfm ug to GE.
I think the thread from the flyewr who has changed loyalty to SQ is absolutely correct.

They can teie GE all they like but for my money why dont they enhance it as it stands.............

Originally Posted by DCF
Well, Rob Fyfe has been saying for months that Gold Elite would be further segmented, but this is a crazy way to do it. By definition, the highest elites should be the highest yield passengers, rather than being encouraged to fly deeply discounted economy.

I can tell you though what this Gold Elite would like to see......

The things I miss are:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.