Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 773 refit seems dissapointing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
There will be flights already with refitted flights due to operational needs. For example NZ2 is currently operated by ZK-OKM with is refitted.
I just had a look at the FR24 data and history and it looks very confused. GDS was supposed to show 77W for the refit and 773 for the non-refit but this seems very mixed up.

I'm not worried if I get a refit on Sunday as I'm in BP. I'll be very disappointed if I get a refit home from London.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
My ten cents so far.....more rushed, less feeling of personal service [compared to Spaceseats config service], especially when you are piggy in the middle of the row of four. Can't imagine that changing anytime soon....
Wonder if they should off re-located the PE LAV's and Galley to the middle of the cabin, splitting it into two cabins.

Had found the service level between the 789 and the 77W to be huge recently, much prefer the 789 in PE now.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: NZ EP
My 2c...

a few years ago SIN-AKL, one of the first refit 772...cracker flight in PE. Great service, managed to sleep. Window seat to be fair, would not buy one of the middles though. Compared to spaceseat a few weeks earlier AKL-LHR, refit PE wins. I'm 6'1, spaceseat was a pain in the proverbial.

More recently and in terms of service in PE, flew PE AKL-RAR and BP RAR-AKL (both 787). Sure, short haul, but service on way over was exceptional and in no way rushed. FSM intro for all, once in air, might as well have been BP (food exceptional).

BP on way back, FSM nowhere to be seen. Pretty casual allround. Catering sub par. Was still lovely being up front, but felt we would have been happy back in PE.

Oh, and to cap it off... we had to hop on a friggin bus!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:47 am

You've pretty much summed up the inconsistency of Air NZ service.. Right now that's the #1 issue the airline faces IMHO.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I just had a look at the FR24 data and history and it looks very confused. GDS was supposed to show 77W for the refit and 773 for the non-refit but this seems very mixed up.

I'm not worried if I get a refit on Sunday as I'm in BP. I'll be very disappointed if I get a refit home from London.
FR24 data is very inconsistent and cannot be trusted most of the time with this kind of subtle variation. 773, 77W... remember that 77W is the general term for 777-300ER and it is just Air NZ who only decide to use 77W now. Same thing with CX calling their 777-300 many names like 77E, 77G etc... FR24 would not really care what it is.

on another note, it is interesting that many airport does not get the plane type correct when they drive the gate to door L2... so much time has been wasted for driving the docking to the wrong place.. lol
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
More recently and in terms of service in PE, flew PE AKL-RAR and BP RAR-AKL (both 787). Sure, short haul, but service on way over was exceptional and in no way rushed. FSM intro for all, once in air, might as well have been BP (food exceptional).

BP on way back, FSM nowhere to be seen. Pretty casual allround. Catering sub par. Was still lovely being up front, but felt we would have been happy back in PE.
On that note...
LAX-AKL in BP a couple of weeks ago, the beef offering was a hamburger, yes you read that right. I was craving beef, didn't believe what I was reading so got the burger. Yes, it was a hamburger and an awful one at that.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by C206
On that note...
LAX-AKL in BP a couple of weeks ago, the beef offering was a hamburger, yes you read that right. I was craving beef, didn't believe what I was reading so got the burger. Yes, it was a hamburger and an awful one at that.
Yes. AirNZ BP food has become very poor.
On seats. Got off AirNZ BP 789 connecting onto Air Canada Business Class on 77W. Air Canada seat leaves AirNZ for dead. AirNZ has failed to keep up with seat advances in business class. And gone backwards on 789 by making the business class seat much narrower.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:24 am

If you want beef on Air NZ you need to fly to Japan. Steak in both PE and BP both ways.

I've never seen steak on North American routes.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: NZ*E
If you want beef on Air NZ you need to fly to Japan. Steak in both PE and BP both ways.

I've never seen steak on North American routes.
flying back from MEL 3 weeks ago on J and there was a choice of beef by PG... it was not edible...
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:11 am

Programs: NZ *G
Same for Brisbane - Auckland a couple of days ago. Very overdone. A burger would have been much better.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Beef TT. I thought it was fine but I am also one of those people that don't like bloodied steak - eegh! It seems that's the way it's supposed to be done but I just couldn't eat it like that so I'm happy it's cooked all the way through.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Catering

Just to stir things up, oh how time flies...

Remember this? January 2010

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1001/S00374.htm

To deliver the new food experience, new oven technology will be installed in the five galleys throughout the aircraft.

“It means we will be able to offer previously unheard of meal options inflight – real crispy bacon and eggs or a steak cooked anyway you like it in Business Premier, a pizza or tapas to share with your companion in Premium Economy or even a classic Kiwi toasted sandwich!”

Within a couple of months, all gone, completely unfeasible in actual operation.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by gratn
Same for Brisbane - Auckland a couple of days ago. Very overdone. A burger would have been much better.
Eh wouldn't count on it. The one I had in BP coming back from LAX earlier this week had a rock hard bun and very dry patty.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:03 pm

I did not get steak.

Originally Posted by libertyuk
Just to stir things up, oh how time flies...

Remember this? January 2010

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU1001/S00374.htm

To deliver the new food experience, new oven technology will be installed in the five galleys throughout the aircraft.

“It means we will be able to offer previously unheard of meal options inflight – real crispy bacon and eggs or a steak cooked anyway you like it in Business Premier, a pizza or tapas to share with your companion in Premium Economy or even a classic Kiwi toasted sandwich!”
Another mirage
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E
How crazy was that initial 773 announcement though back in 2010 -- I was like "woah" at all the innovation, bespoke seats (Spaceseat, Skycouch), themed toilets, inflight concierge, etc.

I even remember they used to have massages available in the AKL lounge for BP/GE flyers. At the time I was just Gold often flying in PE -- and by the time I got to Elite it was all gone

I guess it must have all ended up being a bit bleeding edge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.