Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is getting to Elite worth it if you fly in Economy usually

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Hi

Others more qualified than me will no doubt comment on the differences between programmes and upgrade options (the consensus is they're hard to get in long haul, but experiences differ).

I'll comment on your first question. In my view, yes, it is definitely worth getting at least Gold status. Why? Because flying in Y sucks but having lounge access will make all the time in airports more bearable. You could consider paying for Koru (much cheaper than $3k of extra flight costs) but I don't think it would give you lounge access anywhere in the USA, so the benefit would be outbound ex NZ only.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Will you fly NZ and accrue to UA if your travel dates are outside UA's SFO-AKL seasonal dates?

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11778240
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sarah Chrisp
I'll definitely be getting Gold no matter what. The question is whether I bother for Elite or not, considering I actually only fly Air NZ 6-8 times a year or so and I think the only upgrades I'll really be able to get will be into Premium Economy. If it got me Business Class upgrades I'd probably do it.

On the other hand, I could throw my efforts behind United next year so that I could get more upgrades to Business class (which I think I'll do).
As mentioned in your nearly duplicate thread, UA does not give free upgrades to its elite tier status members (including 1Ks) in longhaul international flights. If you pay for Y, expect to sit in Y or Y+.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:23 am
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
If you fly Y all the time there isn't much difference/benefit between G and GE. Applying Elite upgrades on long haul (while seem cheap) to US and LHR routes should strictly be considered a lottery (both Y to PE and PE to J) to be considered limited availability. Aside, Air NZ's (normal) pricing point for PE at equivalent to other carrier's J class seem intentional.

I seem to think you might be better off with getting Gold + Priority Pass. That would cover most of your needs.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 2:31 am
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
The value of Elite is around spending APD on Elite upgrades, if you travel with a partner then Elite partner status matters little (only really has value if that person travels alone on NZ). You'll get upgraded more frequently as Elite, but that's it. The question would be whether you could fly enough on others to get status with another programme (e.g. QFF or AAA for OneWorld if flying QF, CX, MH to Europe or QF/AA to the US).

UA of course is only seasonally operating to NZ, and going in Y to Australia to fly UA adds a lot of time for little gain.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:01 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I think OP's biggeest issue here is applying the scarce Elite upgrades. Confirmed upgrades are non existent on the routes mentioned. Worse, OP will likely always travel with partner and clearing both upgrades is incredibly difficult. My two cents. You will likely have end up with split class bookings, to increase the chance of upgrade for just one pax, the only good observation is the willingness to travel in Y.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 4:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow, care to tell me where I duplicated this thread before you give me such a snarky remark to a genuine question about a complicated subject? If you mean my previous ones, that was several months ago in-regards to my 2017 travel plans, not my 2018 ones, and back then I was barely traveling enough to hit gold, let alone Elite.
The discussion in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...-i-change.html

Already revealed that United doesn't hand out upgrades to elites on longhaul flights.

And it was again revealed in this post to you in another thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28087238-post486.html

Not a good idea to have so many duplicates.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I think it's a bit difficult to quantify the value of *G (although many try) because of the huge difference in what perks people want out of it and how much they value them...

So now that upgrades have been cleared up (negatively)

I find my *G to be worth a lot, though not $3000 a year (even though I fly about 100 legs an average year). My reasons for *G: non-US lounges which include decent food and more importantly showers, plus the extra baggage allowance.

Also, skipping long check-in lines can come in useful at times as well.

These are guaranteed perks unlike elusive upgrades. I have been upgraded on medium/long haul flights on very rare occasions (IRROPS), and more frequently to "First" on domestic US flights. Much more frequently with my DL Silver than my UA Platinum for some reason...

D.

Hi everyone!

I've calculated my air travel for the next year. If I travel with Star Alliance only, I should be able to hit Elite. In total, I estimate that I'll spend an extra $3000. I'll only be traveling in economy. The alternative is I'll just ensure I hit the Gold limit and then fly the cheapest airlines from there and using my airpoints to pay for some flights (saving up to $3,000).

If I go this route, I won't be able to spend my airpoints on flights to bank as much SP as possible, so it'll mostly go into upgrades. I'll probably bank around 1,500 airpoints or so (probably more?).

I will have a travel partner with me. I'll feel obligated to upgrade them too if I get upgraded. Not sure how many upgrades we'll be able to buy even with the Elite "discount." On the other hand - I know you get to nominate an Elite partner, so would this mean we'd both have Elite?

I usually travel long-haul (USA and beyond) 4-5 times per year with my travel partner, never by myself, the majority of trips being for business with at least 2 return trips to the USA each year. I'll probably do at least 3 return long-haul trips with Air NZ next year (twice to the USA, once to Europe).

Thoughts would be very helpful as it's quite an endeavor - thanks! (I'm also going to look into whether I can join the United frequent flyer program and reach status without a credit card as they seem to have better upgrades, and I could still fly United to the USA).
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As I see it there are two significant benefits of Elite over Gold - APD upgrades, and upgrades clearing up to 350 days out. If you don't see benefits in these then no, it's not worth spending the money on Elite. Getting two upgrades cleared together further decreases your chances.

The open season APD upgrades loophole has been shut down with the OneSmart changes with further clampdowns on this planned.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.