Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

9hrs btw flights (separate tickets) at AKL, stay landside or book Novotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

9hrs btw flights (separate tickets) at AKL, stay landside or book Novotel?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Question 9hrs btw flights (separate tickets) at AKL, stay landside or book Novotel?

Hi!

I appreciate all help I get on this forum.

In flying into AKL from SIN on NZ281 arriving 11.25pm. The. The folieringen morning I have to get myself to SYD.
Would you rekommend spending the night at the terminal or book a Room at the Novotel? A few moment of shut eye and a shower Would be nice after Travellink from Germany. I'm thinking about the NZ103 to SYD which depart 9am.

How loong approximately Would you say customs and immigration Will take near midnight on a weeknight. When can i expert to be airside with checked bags? O have a European union passport But not one that qualifies for smartgate.
How far is the Novotel? And when Would I have to be back at the airport? Would 7am be enough?

IF I decide to stay at the airport. What should I expect? It days its 24hrs But is there anytjing open in the check in area landside btw maybe midnight and 5am?
Somewhere to dit down? Have a coffe?

Also, since this return trip AKL-SYD and then SYD-AKL a few days later Will be on a Separate ticket. Is that risky concidering the Sin -AKl might be late or Cancelled? Should I Perhaps book My TT segments as 2 separate one way tickeys? In tjat case IF the Nz281 is too late I Will at least not be a no show and have My return from SYD cancelled due to that.

Read somewhere you can req an airline to connect PNR so they know you have a connection even though not sold as one Ticket. Will that be Helpful?
You who pass through AKL, is it generelly bothered with manu delats and cancellations?

Sorry for all My stupid questions!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
1125pm arrival and 9am departure. Any mishaps should be covered by your travel insurance as its well in excess of 6hrs. I think you'll be fine though barring any one in a million disasters.

I wouldn't spend the night in the airport I would go landside and sleep. Either Novotel if you're not worried about budget or Jet Park (they pick you up), ibis budget walking distance (not favoured at midnight), or holiday inn. Novotel is just across the road from arrivals area, maybe 50 metre walk. NZ has lots of flights out you could take a later one if you wanted.

I would keep your TT segments at whatever is cheapest for booking. If you miss your onward flight due to a 10hr delay then insurance should cover you and if you look at the NZ website you'll see there's a number of flights a day.

If you're flying business class then they may look at checking your bags through, or some other *A status? With 10hrs layover I'd be happier seeing my bags than checking through but we're all different.

Check in with NZ the next day is easy. Go to the kiosk, push a few buttons, some tags come out and dump it at bag drop.

I can't give you an exact time frame but my midnightish arrivals have been fine for collecting bags and exiting the airport. You could get through in 10 mins or 30mins but I wouldn't expect it take an hr.

I like having the app of the airline I'm flying as well to keep an eye on my flight. NZ gives notifications of when boarding etc or delays.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you! NZ Butterfly, lots of helpful information in your post!

I travel business class from FRA-SIN-AKL and then I probably Buy a premium economy ticket for the TT segments. Do you think they Would check the bags through at My Stattin point? I know there are always the one in a million chance for heavy delays and cancellations or force majeur causes. I Will keep My fingers crossed.

I know there are multiple Flights to SYD. Id just like the 9am departure since it Would men a noon/early afternoon arrival at Sydney CBD.
No real need to travel AIr NZ either, But being *A silver it feels natural
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:13 am

All I can say is it never hurts to ask.
Who are you flying the FRA-SIN segment with? *A? If so then I think you've got a better than average chance of having bags checked through.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The Novotel is extremely popular for what you want to do. It's also priced accordingly ($$$) due to to the convenience of it being literally 20 seconds walk from the international terminal.

There are plenty of other far cheaper accommodation places but you'd need to weight up the extra 45-60 mins you'll lose getting to or from them.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
All I can say is it never hurts to ask.
Who are you flying the FRA-SIN segment with? *A? If so then I think you've got a better than average chance of having bags checked through.
FRA-SIN is SQ and SIN AKL is MZ so all * A
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by LadyBell
FRA-SIN is SQ and SIN AKL is MZ so all * A
SQ is pretty good at through-checking. You might need to ask the (contracted) check-in agent to call for the SQ manager or customer officer on duty but I would say your chances of getting bags checked all the way through to SYD are on the better side of not.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Remember to set up alarm or wake up call at Novotel.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
I would stay at the Novotel. It's perfect for your requirements.

I would also look at a slightly later flight to Sydney if possible.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:40 pm

How long approximately Would you say customs and immigration Will take near midnight on a weeknight. When can i expert to be airside with checked bags? O have a European union passport But not one that qualifies for smartgate.
How far is the Novotel? And when Would I have to be back at the airport? Would 7am be enough?
I'm curious about this as well, as I have a flight from the US arriving around the same time. How much time for customs/immigration around this time typically?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
I'm curious about this as well, as I have a flight from the US arriving around the same time. How much time for customs/immigration around this time typically?
Check arrivals for other flights - usually midnight arrivals clear pretty quickly unless there are incoming flights from Pacific Islands, that queue will be snaking around as pax are often returning on holiday or by that route have a lot of checked luggage.

Novotel can be seen from the airport terminal itself. Cross the road are you are literally there. If you take any more than 60 seconds from exiting the arrivals into public area you need to look at your overall fitness level
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There are many international flights arriving near midnight - particularly Australia, South Pacific and Asia. I'd allow 30-60 minutes to clear immigration and customs.

Landside there is a foodcourt (1 level up from customs exit or check-in). Otherwise not a lot (no activities and no views from inside the terminal on landside).

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Which flight from USA arrives near midnight?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: NZ *G
I have flown in late ex SYD a couple of times recently. Around midnight the arrival process is super quick - last week (with no checked luggage) I got from plane to taxi in about 12 minutes.

Staying overnight in the terminal is doable and I often see people trying to sleep in the banks of chairs near the Koru car park end of the terminal. It looks grim. I would stay at the Novotel and not give it a moments thought. I've stayed there and the rooms are small but nice. It is literally 1-2 minutes walk from the landslide exit to the international terminal. In the morning you can stay in bed till 7.30 and still check in before 8am for the 9am flight.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for great input!

Just tried to book the SYD flights on KAYAK website. Says Air New Zealand Will charge me extra for checked bags i premium ecobomy? Doesnt sen like that on the Air NZ website.
IF I dont pay the extra 25 € Will I be Denise to check in My bags?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:52 am

Thank you all for great input!

Just tried to book the SYD flights on KAYAK website. Says Air New Zealand Will charge me extra for checked bags i premium ecobomy? Doesnt sen like that on the Air NZ website.
IF I dont pay the extra 25 € Will I be Denise to check in My bags?

I generally book via the airlines website I am flying. IF there are any issues you can deal directly with the airline staff. If you book via 3rd party eg Kayak or any other then you generally get sent back to them which is a pain in the back side. I would book via the Air NZ site if I were you and you can manually input your other F*A F # into the booking also to save you the hassle of changing it at the airport.

We booked via either webjet or expedia or something years ago ......... NEVER again!! Work wise I've booked via the travel agent and they charged me for a change even though the airline wouldn't have charged me!!

Just go straight through Air NZ's website. It's pretty good IMO. You should receive an email which you can forward onto kayak if that's how you keep an eye on your trips.

Is there a massive price difference why you're booking via kayak vs the Air NZ website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.