Wiki Posts
Search

J or PE for morning TT flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

J or PE for morning TT flight?

Please help!

Flying AKL - SYD on a Wednesday morning. Thinking about booking the NZ103, and Can't decide IG I sjoulf god or BBusiness premiere or Premium Economy.
Flight seems to be operatörs by a 777-200 and as far as I understand the PE cabin does not have the space seat, right?

I was hoping you could Tell me mer bott the differenser btw BP and PE when it Comes to inflight service. With a 9am departure
I guess there is Breakfast served? Cooked? Warm? Mutiple choice? (Not a big fan of egg Dishes). Wil PE pax get lounge invitation? Im *A silver.

Is the extra money (no Miles, no awards, just cash) spent on BP worth it?
Thankful for any input,
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I would personally never pay the premium for BP on a TT flight. Neither PE nor *S will give you lounge access, however you can buy lounge access at the Auckland Emperor lounge for $50

You're correct it doesn't have the Space seat, but that's on it's way out anyway so depending on when you're flying there is no guarantee of that even on a 77W flight.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:13 pm

The PE service and food is really quite good and closer to BP than to Y. With the length of flight to Sydney being so short unless money is no consideration it would be hard to justify the extra cost of J on most occasions - of course there are more SP and I have previously booked J TT to earn more SP when needed but on most occasions PE is good. The other option is to book PE and bid for a oneup to J - low bids are frequently successful to SYD so that may be an alternative which saves you money.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Flight is about 6months from now.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
For the return there is a sale on the AU website giving 71 status points for AUD$700 in BP and 36 status points for AUD$400 in PE.

$400 for PE is a great price.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I personally think Y+ is all you need when flying TT. The SpaceSeat was better than the new product (to me) but either gives good space. J food is better but when it's breakfast does it really matter? Likewise, I don't think an hour in Koru is worth the cost differential to J. Flying Y is different - I did that last week on a 773 and an A320 and the step down from Y+ was significant. I am usually prepared to pay the $AP100 Elite upgrade to avoid it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by gratn
I personally think Y+ is all you need when flying TT. The SpaceSeat was better than the new product (to me) but either gives good space. J food is better but when it's breakfast does it really matter? Likewise, I don't think an hour in Koru is worth the cost differential to J. Flying Y is different - I did that last week on a 773 and an A320 and the step down from Y+ was significant. I am usually prepared to pay the $AP100 Elite upgrade to avoid it.
Absolutely.

TT J is with recognition upgrades or for status runs when on sale.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Hijacking this thread. Remember reading something about this but can't seem to find it in the search.

Lodged a long haul upgrade for a TT flight in 2 weeks. J cabin looks full at the moment so unlikely to clear. Will I get a "Soft landing" to PE if available? Or if no J seats then I stay in Y? Currently Gold but will be Elite again at the end of that flight.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
I asked them this on the phone for one next week, apparently not automatic but if you ask at check in and in the lounge they are apparently able to swap to premium economy, even if the RU would have expired by then as in my case. I was lucky, both cleared 7 days out, was maybe 5-6 seats in business left on a dummy booking before?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I fly from CHC so I literally don't have any other option but to fly Y across the Tasman. There is no PE or BP for the planes flying from Christchurch. For a 3 hour daytime flight I really don't care though - kind of glad the option isn't there so I'm not tempted to select it.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
The upside is that the Space+ Y product on the A320s is substantially roomier than the Y product on the widebodies ex-AKL (where you would have that tempting choice to upgrade). If only the food in Works was a bit nicer (and these days the wine could do with an upgrade too), NZ's Space+ A320 product would pretty much tick all the boxes for a 3hr flight.

Having said that, the upgrade cost to PE is pretty reasonable so I find it hard to go past if on a widebody.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by mad_atta
The upside is that the Space+ Y product on the A320s is substantially roomier than the Y product on the widebodies ex-AKL (where you would have that tempting choice to upgrade). If only the food in Works was a bit nicer (and these days the wine could do with an upgrade too), NZ's Space+ A320 product would pretty much tick all the boxes for a 3hr flight.

Having said that, the upgrade cost to PE is pretty reasonable so I find it hard to go past if on a widebody.
I definitely prefer Y on the A320 because of Space +, I almost always book PE on a widebody TT (or upgrade to it) and see it is comparable to QF in C on a 737 TT (given I get lounge access anyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.