Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G/E free bag

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

G/E free bag

Has anyone tried booking SEAT only and then using the *A G/E perk to get your bag on for free? I have always assumed that you need to book a SEAT + BAG and you get two bags, whereas you book SEAT only you get zero bags regardless of status. Correct?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is nothing to try. You only get a free bag as *G or Koru if you are on a fare that includes a baggage allowance.

If you book a seat only fare you get a seat, no bag. The only exception is if you have Flexitime Flyer membership for domestic which makes all fares flexi and includes a bag.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
The only situation where you could try is if you are connecting from a seperate ticket and the agent is willing to interline your bags. There is no guarantee you won't be charged before the next flight but you could chance it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 5:10 pm

Nope, as I understand NZ got the Star Alliance rules changed so that their base fares do not have to include a bag as a *G/*E benefit. As an aside, it only costs about $10 domestically for a bag each way.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:14 pm

$10...Try $30 on my flight 2 weeks ago!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bub001
$10...Try $30 on my flight 2 weeks ago!
Where were you flying? A bag only costs $10 on any domestic flight. That's either $10 when booking or $10 if added via online or app at a later date.

It's $30 for a 2nd bag, or $30 if you turn up at the airport and pay at the kiosk for a bag on s eat only fare (but only $10 if you add it online or via the app)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Where were you flying? A bag only costs $10 on any domestic flight. That's either $10 when booking or $10 if added via online or app at a later date.

It's $30 for a 2nd bag, or $30 if you turn up at the airport and pay at the kiosk for a bag on s eat only fare (but only $10 if you add it online or via the app)
Checking in a while back it wanted to charge the $30 fee for a bag. I cancelled the check in, sat down with smart phone and added a bag for $10. Then went back over and checked in at the machine. No problem.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:54 pm

For a second bag, having paid seat+bag.

QUOTE=sbiddle;27758206]Where were you flying? A bag only costs $10 on any domestic flight. That's either $10 when booking or $10 if added via online or app at a later date.

It's $30 for a 2nd bag, or $30 if you turn up at the airport and pay at the kiosk for a bag on s eat only fare (but only $10 if you add it online or via the app)[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Checking in a while back it wanted to charge the $30 fee for a bag. I cancelled the check in, sat down with smart phone and added a bag for $10. Then went back over and checked in at the machine. No problem.
I have done the same thing when travelling with family who don't fly often having booked a seat only fare. The price difference is huge when using the kiosk. I don't get why this is the case, especially as the one done online is also using a credit card, etc.

Originally Posted by Bub001
For a second bag, having paid seat+bag.

Originally Posted by sbiddle

2nd bags on Air NZ are always more expensive, although generally if you have some airline status you will get an additional free bag presuming that you are travelling on a fare that includes a bag in the first place.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:25 am

I think the higher cost of extra bags at the kiosk is to encourage passengers to pack at home and be prepared, rather than last-minute hurriedness at the airport when they realise they can't fit anything in their carry ons...

Also, I've always found it interesting how the Elites (presumably business travellers) who travel light are entitled to so much luggage... Usually you find it's the less well off Economy travellers who would try to pack all their shopping into 23kgs, whilst the business travellers travel with a backpack and a small carry on luggage.

Even when I see families fly business class (for a holiday or whatever), where they are entitled to so much baggage, I don't seem to see them carry that much luggage...
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Originally Posted by curioustill

Even when I see families fly business class (for a holiday or whatever), where they are entitled to so much baggage, I don't seem to see them carry that much luggage...
Probably because they fly more often and have packing sorted and don't take stuff they are not going to use anyway.
We only ever take one bag each, even for 3 month stays in Hawaii each year.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by curioustill
Also, I've always found it interesting how the Elites (presumably business travellers) who travel light are entitled to so much luggage... Usually you find it's the less well off Economy travellers who would try to pack all their shopping into 23kgs, whilst the business travellers travel with a backpack and a small carry on luggage.
Its an benefit that sounds huge, but costs NZ very little to offer.

Short-haul I might check an bag in once or twice an year, if only they had an short haul J/PE fare that included check bags?

In theorry if you used the pre-purchased bag costs, your 3x 32kg is worth $255.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I appreciate the availability of an extra bag. For work travel in NZ when I travel I typically carry an extra bag with items used in delivering training.

And internationally I prefer to take a suitcase and have range of clean clothes available, so I typically purchase a bag and use additional bag allowance for partners luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.