Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Xmas Gift this year is ........

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Well I'm dissapointed. I'm losing Elite in April so was foolishly hoping for a reprieve. Oh well. I never do short haul only domestic and long haul.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by stick1
Well I'm dissapointed. I'm losing Elite in April so was foolishly hoping for a reprieve. Oh well. I never do short haul only domestic and long haul.
Expiry date not until 31-Dec-17.

Anyone unhappy I'd graciously accept all gifts 😁
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by stick1
You could take a holiday to Oz or the pacific islands and route via AKL. Domestic NZ flights aren't that long and you could use APD or wait for sale fares to get costs down.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 4:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
You could take a holiday to Oz or the pacific islands and route via AKL. Domestic NZ flights aren't that long and you could use APD or wait for sale fares to get costs down.
Routing via AKL isn't always possible. Flights between AKL and Australia on 767 or 777 often don't connect with NZ domestic flights in at least one direction.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
There are so many overnight stays at Novotel that one can handle
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Wow that's of virtually no use at all to WLG based elites. Air NZ elite gifts have been going down the drain for the last five years. Things must be getting tight at the cost control centre. Also shows a distinct lack of imagination on the part of whoever thought up this 'gift'. As everyone knows you don't have to spend a huge amount of money to make someone feel valued.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Routing via AKL isn't always possible. Flights between AKL and Australia on 767 or 777 often don't connect with NZ domestic flights in at least one direction.
Given this forum is about flying surely we are capable of making the most of a freebie RU? Routing via AKL is well within our capabilities.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:01 am

Given this forum is about flying surely we are capable of making the most of a freebie RU? Routing via AKL is well within our capabilities.
Agreed you could fly TT via Auckland if based in Wellington but that's definitely not worth it just to use up a free short haul RU with the amount of time Wellington based elites spend in the air anyway. I believe the RU is very handy if you fly out of Auckland but definitely not if you live in Wellington.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Ellice
Agreed you could fly TT via Auckland if based in Wellington but that's definitely not worth it just to use up a free short haul RU with the amount of time Wellington based elites spend in the air anyway. I believe the RU is very handy if you fly out of Auckland but definitely not if you live in Wellington.
\

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention it costing at minimum of another $100 - $150 each way to fly via AKL. That hardly makes it a "free" upgrade.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:51 pm

Time wise those flights are short! NZ is small, it doesn't take long to get anywhere. Except maybe Invercargill.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
\

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention it costing at minimum of another $100 - $150 each way to fly via AKL. That hardly makes it a "free" upgrade.
You can get pricing better than that. Of course you have to pay to use your gift but we have to pay to get the complimentary meal from the entertainment book but we go out to eat anyway at times. Just like if you want to go to the islands or Oz to see an event, friends or holiday you would have to pay. You could even fly Oz direct back to WLG so you're only transiting AKL once.

If it's the same as other RUs then essentially 2yrs to use (as long as it's applied then it's still valid for the following year).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Elite Upgrade Present

If it's the same as other RUs then essentially 2yrs to use (as long as it's applied then it's still valid for the following year).
My Elite Upgrade present states that the upgrade must be applied for by 28 February 2017.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can get pricing better than that. Of course you have to pay to use your gift but we have to pay to get the complimentary meal from the entertainment book but we go out to eat anyway at times. Just like if you want to go to the islands or Oz to see an event, friends or holiday you would have to pay. You could even fly Oz direct back to WLG so you're only transiting AKL once.

~$100 - $150 is fairly typical for the difference between flying from WLG vs transiting via AKL. The only exceptions would be very busy days out of WLG where you might find the price similar due to the higher pricing out of WLG.

It's also not just about price - as much as I love flying on planes and sitting in BP quaffing champers spending 6 1/2 hours to get from WLG - SYD vs 3 1/2 flying direct won't stack up for most people.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
~$100 - $150 is fairly typical for the difference between flying from WLG vs transiting via AKL. The only exceptions would be very busy days out of WLG where you might find the price similar due to the higher pricing out of WLG.

It's also not just about price - as much as I love flying on planes and sitting in BP quaffing champers spending 6 1/2 hours to get from WLG - SYD vs 3 1/2 flying direct won't stack up for most people.
Totally.

This year's elite gift, for Wellingtonians, if you have to re route through Auckland to get it is like one of those complimentary vouchers for $50 worth of wine I got in the mail from Westpac credit cards - 'valid when spending over $200' - yeah right.
Obviously this year's elite gift was devised by some Auckland based bean counter at air New Zealand that thinks it's not a problem as he/she flies TT out of Auckland all the time and flyers from other centres won't mind at all the extra 2-3 hours connection time even though they are doing this all the time to fly long haul.

The entertainment book analogy isn't in the same category at all - a meal voucher from a discount book vs a supposed end of year gift for high expenditure with an airline are two totally different things.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:25 pm

I am not surprised with the "gift" as the airline seeks to improve the bottom line. TBH, I thought it was just a matter of time. I also guess APD or SP gift at some point in time.

There is only so many sick or "dead" rabbits one can pull out of the hat. One day, all we would get is an email to say "Thanks!" and will reminisce on the free RU.

Many airlines have or will do the same, its a race to the bottom.

Wait till the price of oil increases again, it will get ugly.

Originally Posted by Rebound
Honestly this is more useful to me than the cheap gifts the past few years
The value of the gifts has generally been declining over the years. I think there would be a lot more disappointment if this gift came after the ones we used to get in the "golden years".

Obviously this year's elite gift was devised by some Auckland based bean counter at air New Zealand that thinks it's not a problem as he/she flies TT out of Auckland all the time and flyers from other centres won't mind at all the extra 2-3 hours connection time even though they are doing this all the time to fly long haul.
If I had to guess, I would say the "bean counter" is exactly aware of this and is banking on a significant percentage of "gifts" not being redeemed. The percentage of un-redeemed parking / hotel / etc.. elite vouchers probably gave them a good clue.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:36 pm

Agree with the 'race to the bottom' comments with the increased competition that Air NZ has now out of New Zealand. Just have to look at the share price which is down 27% since the beginning of the year.

I think there are a couple of points being made though throughout this thread:
A. that the value of the gifts is going down the gurgler, which is understandable with the revenue pressure Air NZ is under, but more importantly,
B. that the gift has some value to Auckland based elites and very little to Wellington based elites. Of course this is all a first world problem... As long as they keep granting me the long haul RUs I'll keep using them as my airline of choice out of New Zealand. If that were to change I'd definitely look at other airlines for my long haul travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.