Search

RU on Companion Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
RU on Companion Tickets

Long time lurker first time poster..

Does anyone have any experience with RU on Companion Tickets? I have booked my fares in PE and my partners are companion tickets via the call centre. I have applied my 2x Gold upgrades as well as my fathers 2x Elite gifted to my partner.

I was told originally by the call centre these could be stacked. But my interpretation of this page: Companion tickets are not available in conjunction with Airpoints reward tickets, travel industry fares, prize/promotion tickets and upgrades or Air New Zealand ticketed flights operated by another carrier, and are not redeemable on a ‘Seat Only’ or ‘Seat and Bag’ fare. Airpoints Terms and Conditions apply. makes me think it might not.

Both tickets are booked in fare bucket A.

Surely if the system allowed the upgrades to be applied then they should clear? Interestingly I never got an email in regards the the upgrades as I did last time.

I'm also picking my partners will not clear until the airport as she doesn't hold a status. The bookings are linked.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
No you can't use a RU a companion fare. Very first line in the RU terms and conditions says this.

"Airpoints Upgrades cannot be requested for Companion Tickets, travel industry fares, prize and promotional Tickets, grabaseat™ greenlight fares and Flights booked in certain discounted or low cost booking classes, including F class."

Like others who have thought they've been able to double dip or lodge a RU in conjunction with a OneUp in the past you'll simply find the RU will not be processed since this is all done manually.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Companion fare dictates the same class of travel, you could possibly get away with a technicality but the main criteria is if you book for yourself and applied a RU and clear, the companion fare paid must be in the same class
Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dadig
Companion fare dictates the same class of travel, you could possibly get away with a technicality but the main criteria is if you book for yourself and applied a RU and clear, the companion fare paid must be in the same class
I'm not aware of any issues applying an RU to the fare that was used to buy the companion. It's just that the companion fare can't be upgraded and any upgrades won't be processed.

At one point AP/SP earn also used to show against the companion fare which also won't apply as it's a zero earn ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm not aware of any issues applying an RU to the fare that was used to buy the companion. It's just that the companion fare can't be upgraded and any upgrades won't be processed.

At one point AP/SP earn also used to show against the companion fare which also won't apply as it's a zero earn ticket.
It is possibly their system unable to differentiate between a requested companion fare and a fare that was upgraded to R?

I checked this with their call center multiple times which I am just restating my understanding from them. Haven't tried it myself given finding companion fares is like striking gold
Old Dec 1, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
I did it once on companion tickets from Y to PE on a LAX to AKL flight.

I had tried doing it prior to leaving NZ but they told me that it couldnt be done per the rules. So I tried one last time when I was in the LAX lounge- this was the old lounge- the supervisor called Auckland call center to apply my RU's. I was surprised when it came thru.

What happened was that the call centre person was a junior and put it thru- but just before boarding a call centre supervisor spotted the mistake but by that time people had been allocated our seats and the domino effect would have meant lots of unhappy people so they let it go thru and we got the upgrades.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to those who replied. I have kept quiet on this as it has taken a while to sort.

Air NZ originally told me there would be no issue using the upgrades, they also incorrectly made the bookings which allowed me to request the upgrades, but call center confirmed as sbiddle said it wouldn't be processed.

Air NZ finally rang me to day apologising, and have agreed to honor the upgrades subject to availability. Flights are less than a week out and are told they will be confirmed at the airport.

Interestingly she told me due to the notes that have been left, my partner (Jade status) will clear with me at gold level on the return flight.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:41 pm

Companion fares are practically useless due to availability and upgrade options. I'm not even sure how they would entertain refunds/rebookings.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
Companion fares are practically useless due to availability and upgrade options. I'm not even sure how they would entertain refunds/rebookings.
Yeah considering we only saved about $120 there was no way we would have booked knowing the upgrade issue. We had airpoints to burn and this was suggested as the best option on the phone, after a discussion of booking PE to upgrade to J

I remember there being a fee to change ($150) as well as a fee on the linked booking as it had to be done via the CC, all change options were locked out online for both fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.