Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Space seat or sky couch?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Space seat or sky couch?

For a couple traveling together (we like to snuggle) which will be the most comfortable: one sky couch shared, or two space seats? We have travelled NZ LAX to AKL several times in the space seat. Like any seat, if you are in the front row they are very nice, but if you are farther back on the side--not so comfortable. We have not tried the couch in economy and would like to have your thoughts. Thank you
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
This same topic has come up probably once a month recently on here.

IMHO there is no comparison. Premium Economy wins every day over a Skycouch. I don't regard the Skycouch as being a product suitable for 2 typical sized adults.

The Spaceseat is being replaced from next Feb on the 77W. There are already services most days in the new PE seat on the 77R.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Space seat. Experience it before it is gone. Sorry, Sky (c)ouch is a gimmick.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Skycouch would be cheaper. Plus, assuming neither of you is particularly tall, cuddling would be possible in the skycouch and being able to lay flat could be advantageous if sleeping upright is a challenge.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: Kris flyer, velocity, Air NZ
I always take skycouch when travelling with 2 kids and love it. However, I don't think skycouch will be comfortable if travelling with husband since he is tall.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:01 pm

We are 2 guys traveling together. RT on the IAH AKL non stops.
We bought up to the sky couch, both ways. We are planning to sleep on our sides, back to back.
Do you think the other pax mind ? Has anybody experienced this before ? Help.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:06 pm

How tall are you both? If you're both average size males it'll probably be the worst plane flight you've ever had.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Don't worry about what anyone else thinks--friends, partners, husbands..so long as you're not having sex it's not their business.

Originally Posted by Keller281
We bought up to the sky couch, both ways. We are planning to sleep on our sides, back to back.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
My partner and I just flew NZ5 with a skycouch and we found it quite comfortable compared to usual Y. I'm too tall to lie flat on the 3 seats though (I stick out into the aisle by like a foot) so we tried a few different arrangements before going to sleep. Ours was free though bc nobody was in the middle seat! I think if you pay for it they give you a mattress though, so probably even better than our experience.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
My partner and I just flew NZ5 with a skycouch and we found it quite comfortable compared to usual Y. I'm too tall to lie flat on the 3 seats though (I stick out into the aisle by like a foot) so we tried a few different arrangements before going to sleep. Ours was free though bc nobody was in the middle seat! I think if you pay for it they give you a mattress though, so probably even better than our experience.
Out of curiosity did they give you a belt kit?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Yep. And this was the 3rd time I've done it on flights to the states. In this case somebody was booked next to us but she moved up to a bulkhead seat. In other cases I've just lucked out and been on a relatively empty flight. Now that I have *G I always check with the agent at the lounge; those folks have tended to help me out in terms of finding space. Maybe they feel bad for us little people who earn status on the cheap in Y
Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Keller281
I reckon you'd have to be 'small framed' to make being back to back work - back/front would be more efficient space wise. Im with sbiddle on this - I cant see this resulting in a good outcome.

I would be interested in hearing how it went.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I don't recommend two adults to fit in the sky couch comfortably unless cuddling.

Seriously, if there are no other alternative, other passengers wouldn't mind and if they are still stuck in the dark ages
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: NZ *E
Just do it. If it makes other passengers uncomfortable (and it shouldn't) that's their problem, not yours.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Space Seat.

We've tried both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.