Wiki Posts
Search

to bulkhead or not to bulkhead

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
to bulkhead or not to bulkhead

Am flying in PE on Friday evening. The bulkhead marked for bassinet is now available at no extra charge for the two of us.

Anyone have a guess how likely it is that a baby carrying pax might still be put in PE, needing that space?

Should I risk it for the extra leg room? 777-200 so not the space seat.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I normally risk it but obviously be prepared to be bumped by a passenger brazen enough to bring an infant into the cabin
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:31 am

Programs: Nz*G
I am also flying PE Friday and bulkhead is free to choose, if I am quiet tall, is the legroom better elsewhere? Or is the bulkhead better. Thinking about feet under seat in front etc. thoughts team?

Cheers
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
I normally risk it but obviously be prepared to be bumped by a passenger brazen enough to bring an infant into the cabin
My worry is being bumped into 2 horrible middle seats in the block of 4. Would they do that to me?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
But beware of seat width

But if you are a bit more than average width, beware that most bulkhead seats have a fixed armrest with the tray table inside the armrest. That lessens the seat width and can feel pretty pinched if you're a bit wide yourself.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
But if you are a bit more than average width, beware that most bulkhead seats have a fixed armrest with the tray table inside the armrest. That lessens the seat width and can feel pretty pinched if you're a bit wide yourself.
All the PE seats have the tray table in the centre console between seats. This isn't an issue in thse Zodiac regional business seats.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Lpmnz
if I am quiet tall, is the legroom better elsewhere?
Some exit row seats offer even more legroom then the bulkhead seats. (You can try to check seatguru.com plane maps and passengers' comment)
All this doesn't depend on whether you are tall or not.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

We decided not to risk it.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:43 pm

We booked months in advance and paid extra for seat guarantee. Upon boarding the flight attendant tried to move us all the way to the rear of the plane next to the toilets. Her explanation was that we were shorter than some tall man who needed the bassinet seat. When I explained that we had paid extra she backed off. But, I was a little put out by the assumption that because we are shorter (5'4") we should give up Premium Economy and go sit by the toilet.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by alpenrose
We booked months in advance and paid extra for seat guarantee. Upon boarding the flight attendant tried to move us all the way to the rear of the plane next to the toilets. Her explanation was that we were shorter than some tall man who needed the bassinet seat. When I explained that we had paid extra she backed off. But, I was a little put out by the assumption that because we are shorter (5'4") we should give up Premium Economy and go sit by the toilet.
I would personally think this is worthy of a complaint.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by alpenrose
We booked months in advance and paid extra for seat guarantee. Upon boarding the flight attendant tried to move us all the way to the rear of the plane next to the toilets. Her explanation was that we were shorter than her friend who needed the bassinet seat. When I explained that we had paid extra she backed off. But, I was a little put out by the assumption that because we are shorter (5'4") we should give up Premium Economy and go sit by the toilet.
Fixed that for you.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: NZ EP
so, we're brazen enough to bring an infant into the PE cabin, don't shoot us...and it's only for 4 hours : )

question, we're looking at 23A/B or J/K and then one more seat needed (i.e. 3 Pax + infant in total). So I am debating taking one of the middles (D or G) or going back a row, dependant on the leg room in row 23.

I'm 6'1...will I lose leg room with the bulkhead ahead of me (so no room to squeeze the legs under the seat ahead? Will it be noticeable?

cheers
GFL
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
6"7 here. I reckon the normal seats are just fine and very comfortable from a legroom point of view (especially with many painful flights in Y)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Gasfoodlodging
so, we're brazen enough to bring an infant into the PE cabin, don't shoot us...and it's only for 4 hours : )

question, we're looking at 23A/B or J/K and then one more seat needed (i.e. 3 Pax + infant in total). So I am debating taking one of the middles (D or G) or going back a row, dependant on the leg room in row 23.

I'm 6'1...will I lose leg room with the bulkhead ahead of me (so no room to squeeze the legs under the seat ahead? Will it be noticeable?

cheers
GFL
I was on another airline last night (Philippine) passenger behind me just used the tray tables and made a bed for their infant :-)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold
Brazenly taken an infant on PE and Bus - paid extra for bulkhead both times. If your infant is small enough the bassinet in PE much bigger than the one in Bus and far easier to access. The Bus bassinet very high and hard to reach - you end up having to throw your baby into it! Having the bulkhead in PE with an infant gave me a bit more room to let him sit on the floor (when he was of that age and the seatbelt sign off!!) Plenty of legroom (me 5'4 and better half 6'2.) Happy travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.