Spaceseat axed from Boeing 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
couldnt agree more , times up on the BP cabin, hot debate surely
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by djsflynn
I actually like AirNZ's 787 premium economy seat – found it quite comfy on a very long flight, and decent legroom also.
I flew PE to HKG last month just to try it out. I'm a huge Spaceseat fan so wanted to see what was going to replace it.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Is it is good as the Spaceseat? In my view, no. But others don't like the Spaceseat so will think otherwise.

I went into the flight wanting to dislike the seat, but can't say anything bad about it.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
My preference is the Space seat. Anyone has done PE on the Dreamliner will find lack of space for personal items.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by dadig
My preference is the Space seat. Anyone has done PE on the Dreamliner will find lack of space for personal items.
With the 788/772 you have the ability to place an small bag under the seat in front of you.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:30 pm

This is a huge bummer. The layout of the current PE cabin is amazing for our family travels, and I have been paying extra to fly Air NZ. Now this frees me up to fly with whoever, and Virgin Australia has a very nice revamped premium product.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:38 pm

Maybe the compromise should have been 2-4-2 on the 77W with the outer seats remaining as the Spaceseat and the Zodiac in the middle.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I didn't like the Space Seat, and the cost of the product lead to NZ pricing it non-competitively (~$4500 ex-US to AKL rt - I can fly UA/AA business for far less).

I am happy about this change.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
I didn't like the Space Seat, and the cost of the product lead to NZ pricing it non-competitively (~$4500 ex-US to AKL rt - I can fly UA/AA business for far less).

I am happy about this change.
I can't see prices dropping though. 2x economy for PE and 4x economy for BP is the standard pricing model NZ use for most routes.

The issue right now is with heavy discounting of BP to $4k return on NZ it's cheaper to book BP than PE on many flights!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF Bronze
I'm sad to see this go
I had my first chances to sit in it just a few weeks ago, and after flying back to AU in one, and managing to enjoy 7hrs or so of sleep, something I never do in regular economy, I will miss it.

Also reading how high some of you were charged is making me gasp. Booking SYD-AKL-LAX return, with one leg in PE only cost me A$1600, and I managed to get an upgrade for the other direction.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by VelAU
Also reading how high some of you were charged is making me gasp. Booking SYD-AKL-LAX return, with one leg in PE only cost me A$1600, and I managed to get an upgrade for the other direction.
It's not really that unusual, I get AKL-MEL-PER for nzd$1300-1400 one way in J yet Aussies MEL-PER or east coast are ~ $2000 one way.

Your example is NZ trying to grab Aussie market share and mine is QF trying to grab NZ share.

It's not an uncommon practice on airlines.

The one thing I would love to try out on the space seat is putting your feet up when in the middle seats with partner. Some of those positions look good for sleeping! Unfortunately I like the window and have been flying solo so have chosen the outties.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Aug 29, 2016 at 10:54 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Very happy to see it go.

Now... if we can only see the back of the dated herringbone BP offering as well...
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by ruff00
Very happy to see it go.

Now... if we can only see the back of the dated herringbone BP offering as well...
Those VS seats are as cheap as chips compared to other alternatives and the delays for seats from companies like BE and Zodiac at present are well known. For those reasons I can't see anything changing anytime soon.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I asked someone at NZ about whether they would put the Spaceseats on the TT A321 and sell them as Business Class. Answer was no as the A321 are supposed to be all Economy with more Space+ seats than the A320.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I asked someone at NZ about whether they would put the Spaceseats on the TT A321 and sell them as Business Class. Answer was no as the A321 are supposed to be all Economy with more Space+ seats than the A320.
That's disappointing.

I presume that this means that Luxon has made up his mind about this:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...w-Airbus-A320s
The A321neo has an extra 38 seats which allowed for a business class cabin and Luxon said that was a possibility on routes from Auckland to Sydney or Melbourne.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I can't see prices dropping though. 2x economy for PE and 4x economy for BP is the standard pricing model NZ use for most routes.

The issue right now is with heavy discounting of BP to $4k return on NZ it's cheaper to book BP than PE on many flights!
With their revised COGS and the competitive pricing in better cabins, I don't think they have much choice but to adjust pricing in U.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.