Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

2h transfer time lax currently too tight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2016, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E

I'm flying from Chicago to Auckland next week, and am a little anxious with all the talk about greater than usual delays with poor TSA staffing.

Flying on Virgin America (first class I think as no business class and air nz ticket says business for all the flights rather than mixed), to terminal 3, then need to get on NZ5 from the intetnatioal terminal, in business class.

Only have 2 h.

When I did it 12 months ago, was fine though very tight as flight into la was 30 min late.

All ticketed by air nz.
Old May 21, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
I'm flying from Chicago to Auckland next week, and am a little anxious with all the talk about greater than usual delays with poor TSA staffing.

Flying on Virgin America (first class I think as no business class and air nz ticket says business for all the flights rather than mixed), to terminal 3, then need to get on NZ5 from the intetnatioal terminal, in business class.

Only have 2 h.

When I did it 12 months ago, was fine though very tight as flight into la was 30 min late.

All ticketed by air nz.
What times are your arrival and departure?

If it's busy at TBIT, I would invest the few minutes to walk to T4, go through security there, then use the new T4-TBIT airside connector to get back to TBIT.

Here's a story I wrote about the new connector on AirlineReporter:
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...erminal-opens/
Old May 21, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
What times are your arrival and departure?

If it's busy at TBIT, I would invest the few minutes to walk to T4, go through security there, then use the new T4-TBIT airside connector to get back to TBIT.

Here's a story I wrote about the new connector on AirlineReporter:
http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...erminal-opens/
Departing on NZ5 at 10:30pm
Old May 21, 2016, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
Departing on NZ5 at 10:30pm
You're right at the beginning of the night rush of flights. I'd say you should be ok... TSA hasn't been terribly bad at LAX, and hopefully by then things will have gotten better.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF Bronze
I'm a little worried too. I'm not flying to the US til August, but I've got 3hrs coming off NZ 6, and I have a 3hr window to get to a VX service. I've had no issues in the past but I've only ever transferred from Delta-Delta, so I'm guessing that's not the usual experience at LAX.

Was wondering if it's worth paying the 20 USD for the faster lanes, but I really have no idea how security is right now at LAX.
Old May 21, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I flew out just of TBIT just before Christmas, on LAX's busiest day ever in the pm peak.

It was too bad at TSA, if anything it was better than at AKL
Old May 23, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
IMO TBIT has been much better than other airports. They also have premium passenger lane.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:54 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by NZDavid
IMO TBIT has been much better than other airports. They also have premium passenger lane.
Which is never enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.