Gold Elite Retention

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2016, 2:42 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Gold Elite Retention

Frequent flyers going to extreme lengths to hang on to their air miles

Article in Sunday Star Times on Hilary Barry, TV3 Presenter, requiring 34 Status Points to retain her Gold Elite Status so she came to Wellington for a couple of hours last Monday.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I'd hardly call a day trip to WLG "extreme lengths", especially when you read about people here doing a lot, lot more on mileage runs.

The comments certainly make interesting reading too.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Lol extreme lengths to retain Elite. Going from Gold to Elite 2 months I wouldn't say it would be hard to retain Elite. She just isn't travelling as much as she should. Domestically it would be difficult to retain Elite

Last edited by dadig; Apr 23, 2016 at 4:01 pm
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by dadig
Domestically it would be difficult to retain Elite
Not impossible......
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:21 pm

Domestically it would be difficult to retain Elite
With a peak time AKL/WLG/AKL trip netting about 55SP using fully flexi tickets, it takes about 27 round trips to re-qualify. Credit card SP earn will help.

It is making a banked year that is pretty tough, needing about 44 round trips, which with 4 weeks vacation a year means you can only miss 4 weekly trips without needing credit card SP and holiday flying.

I've qualified / re-qualified elite a few times on just domestic flying and it's certainly a lot easier than it was just over a year ago when the SP got more aligned with $ spend.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
SP is only aligned with $ spend on main trunk jet routes. Everything regional is a combination of spend, route and aircraft type.

Regional pax can spend way more than main trunk jet pax and get a mere fraction of the SP.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:13 pm

My GE status expires on May 8 but I have flights booked the week of the 9th that will cover the 50 point shortfall.

Is there any grace given or will I have to do a Wellington flight before the 8th?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 11:17 pm

I'd give the premium team a call as normally it wouldn't cover it, so you'd need to get to 1500SP to qualify instead of 1350SP to re-qualify.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:44 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by kiwiscott
My GE status expires on May 8 but I have flights booked the week of the 9th that will cover the 50 point shortfall.

Is there any grace given or will I have to do a Wellington flight before the 8th?
Worse, instead of requiring 1350 SP to requalify you will need the usual 1500 to qualify.

It's a false economy not to do a status run, especially if you use your Recognition Upgrades usually.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:05 am

How many years ago did Air New Zealand rename the tier as just 'Elite'? Doesn't seem to have sunk in (admittedly the airline hasn't changed its airport signage either).
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:32 pm

Have been tossing between retaining Gold and supplement with Koru rather Elite and Partner.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Have been tossing between retaining Gold and supplement with Koru rather Elite and Partner.
IMHO the main benefit of Elite is the Elite upgrades. If you don't travel internationally to take advantage of these I see very little reason to want to chase Elite.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:37 pm

Programs: Nz*G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
IMHO the main benefit of Elite is the Elite upgrades. If you don't travel internationally to take advantage of these I see very little reason to want to chase Elite.
100% this is the only reason that makes elite valuable. Buy a sale y fare (not grab a seat) and throw a $220 apd at it and you're in premium ( so long the availability is there) It's excellent. Also gifting is better in Elite . But that's about it.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Patchy availability of upgrades has degraded the value to me. Partly because of the routes I fly where either no better class available (A320 trans tasman and those are short flights anyway) or popular. Means my RUs have once again gone unused this year.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:37 am

Well that was quick - she resigned. I really do wonder how much was attributed to flaunting her status run and putting her shift at risk on that day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.