Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best deals to use Airpoints dollars for J class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E

I have 7k in Airpoints dollars that aren't doing much and I thought I may was well use them rather that just sitting there.

Will be flying to UK in a few months with partner. I'll be elete again by then (parter will be nominated elite partner).

Want to go Business class. Is elite airpoints upgrade or Discounted Business Class Award Fares the best way to go? I really want confirmation at the time I book cause if they can't guarantee the seat class I'll probably just have to stump up with the money.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:08 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I have the same question - the options are:

- Elite Airpoints upgrade
- Discount Business Award fares
- Companion tickets
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Aother option is a *A business class 'redemption' eg TG (NZ-Europe AP$ 1705+1215=2940+tax oneway biz, unless there is a single flight number)

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Feb 13, 2016 at 12:57 am Reason: lots of fine print...
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
*A business redemption Asia-Europe and use Airpoints dollars to fly NZ to the relevant airport (or nearby). Japan-Europe or China-Europe in J. In fact if you have enough try for First Class *A redemption with LH or LX, as the premium over J is only around 40%.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:48 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by libertyuk
*A business redemption Asia-Europe and use Airpoints dollars to fly NZ to the relevant airport (or nearby). Japan-Europe or China-Europe in J. In fact if you have enough try for First Class *A redemption with LH or LX, as the premium over J is only around 40%.
However, don't be too optimistic as NZ only release extremely limited reward seats on partner airlines. If you use UA or NH to look for availability, you will find only a fraction of these are available with Airpoints. Not sure if it's intentional.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 2:51 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Aother option is a *A business class 'redemption' eg TG (NZ-Europe AP$ 1705+1215=2940+tax oneway biz, unless there is a single flight number)
Not sure if the old TG recliner business seat is worth it.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Perhaps might be easier if we just talked about Air NZ
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by dadig
Sure, though I thought there would likely be a member with some experience and knowledge on the likelihood of seats being available. All options say limited availability. Do they come out of same bucket?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
I have occasionally used APD for a Bus class Companion fare as there is usually only one R class seat per flight. It has meant that my wife has gone from Elite and is heading for Jade!!! Probably better to use the APD for accommodation and just pay for J class so you retain status.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dadig
This forum is "Air New Zealand Airpoints" discussing other carriers in the context of redeeming airbucks, which was the OPs question, is entirely relevant
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Is there a redemption table with the rates for these? have looked on the Air NZ website and cant see one (probably not looking in the right place!)
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Is there a redemption table with the rates for these? have looked on the Air NZ website and cant see one (probably not looking in the right place!)
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airli...rom-1-november

linked from: http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/star-...flight-rewards
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airli...rom-1-november
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:21 pm

Thanks!

Do any star alliance flights exist between NZ and Europe or Australia Europe that have the same flight number?
Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks!

Do any star alliance flights exist between NZ and Europe or Australia Europe that have the same flight number?
That'd be a nice find.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.