Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Queenstown to Auckland - Which Side For Best Views

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Queenstown to Auckland - Which Side For Best Views

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Note airports rarely "close", it is part of a commercial availability agreement. Instead they state that it is up to the airlines and pilots to decide if it is safe to land. When they do close it is usually due to runways being unavailable eg. runway repairs or damage/inspections due to earthquakes.
I cannot say if NZ pilots are better, less risk adverse or not but from my experience when they do (Air NZ and QF/JQ Jetconnect) do a go around it has been a very unstable landing approach.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I cannot say if NZ pilots are better, less risk adverse or not but from my experience when they do (Air NZ and QF/JQ Jetconnect) do a go around it has been a very unstable landing approach.
Other main reason I've hit, mainly when "landing" at WLG is that the visibility is below the minimum acceptable limits at the end of approach. From memory, this is 300feet for WLG. This will result in a go around and either a hold to give it time for conditions to change or a divert, which is often back to AKL for flights from AKL.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
QF operate on different minimums to NZ. This is why JQ and QF flights into WLG for example will routinely divert while NZ are still flying their while fleet to schedule.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: NZ*S
sbiddle, is this based on a technical/equipment/regulatory difference or a policy decision by the airlines themselves? ie. is this a case of different aircraft capabilities/ratings eg RNP0.3 vs RNP 1 type thing.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
WLG has different minimums for jet and turboprop services.

I'm not 100% sure if it's still the case but QF did operate their jets on the turboprop minimums, meaning they wouldn't fly despite Air NZ flying jets. Even when visibility is fine they seem to routinely divert in bad winds while everybody else if flying.

JQ/QF have a *lot* of diverts from WLG, and typically don't even try a 2nd time now before diverting to their alternate. Even yesterday the QF from SYD diverted to CHC meanwhile WLG was operating as normal with an A320, Q300 and PC12 landing and taking off either side.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice. Changed seats and had some great views on the flight todayD
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:25 am

Last edited by scruggs; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:32 am
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand NZ*S
Originally Posted by Kaid
Just wanted to say thank you for the advice. Changed seats and had some great views on the flight todayD
Great, we once had an ATR do a full circuit of Mt Cook on the way down to Queenstown from wellington.
He then went round again the other way so the people on the other side could see it as well.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by smandkjc
Great, we once had an ATR do a full circuit of Mt Cook on the way down to Queenstown from wellington.
He then went round again the other way so the people on the other side could see it as well.
I've had this as well, on the same route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.