Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Star Gold on Air New Zealand baggage policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold

Travelling shortly NAN-AKL-CHC on Air New Zealand.
Ticket was bought from Expedia and says no bag.Do I still get 1 bag for beeing star gold?
All information on the web are different.
So far I found: yes one gold bag,no bag at all,no checked inn bag but 2 carry ons.
What is correct?
Can I add bags anywhere before being at the airport?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Unless you buy seat+bag you get zero bags on NZ, even with gold status.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 1:55 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Goto http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/home and then select the find an booking tab.

From here it should let you upgrade to Seat+Bag or if you want food on the NAN-AKL sector 'The Works'
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I thought golds could take 2 carry on bags? 7kg each??
Old Nov 17, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nobody here can give you the correct answer. Ask Expedia or Air NZ if you have a PNR.

If your ticket is a seats to suit product it won't include a bag even if *G

If Expedia are booking the product it could be treated as long haul economy which will book you in Works which will give you a bag and one extra free as *G
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold/MS Elite/LH FTL/HH Gold/Accor PLAT/IHG Plat Ambassador/CC Gold

Checked eticket from ANZ again.Eticket mentioned 2 free carry ons for star gold each 7 kg or one max. 10 kg but together not more than 14 kg.
Also one personal item is allowed in adition.
Checked in luggage 23 kg 1 piece is around 15 euros.
So if i buy one piece of luggage extra i get 2 regarding to star gold benefits?
Really confusing this one...
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by 24Yukon24
Checked in luggage 23 kg 1 piece is around 15 euros.
So if i buy one piece of luggage extra i get 2 regarding to star gold benefits?
Really confusing this one...
Correct,

As an *G: check bags are

Seat Only: 0kg
Seat + Bag: 2 piece @ 23kg each
The Works: 2 piece @ 23kg each
Premium Economy: Seat + Bag: 3 piece @ 23kg each
Business: 3 piece @ 23kg each

Note: The maximum limit on NZ is 3x 23kg bags, e.g. Business class an *G doesn't get any extra bags.

You must pre-purchase your first bag online, otherwise its 2-3x more expenseive at the work.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I got caught in Usa recently. An Airnz upgrade glitch meant *G (Elt) was not showing in system. UA refused to give me 2nd bag free. Small price to pay I guess but annoying. Caused problems at ORD boarding too.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I have a question about *G on NZ and the baggage allowance. I have found conflicting information all over the NZ website. Most particularly it refers to a free extra bag for *G *only* if flying on an itinerary that includes two or more *A flights. In other words, if flying NZ only then the extra baggage allowance for *G is invalid.

Does NZ enforce this? Is their website wrong? The e-ticket receipt I have says *G gets one extra bag of 23kg (I'm on a fare that allows a checked bag). But the website under Checked Baggage says only if flying two or more *A partners on the same itinerary.

I'm just looking for clarification. I currently plan to check one bag and it's under 23kg but you never know what I'm going to buy in Australia before I fly to NZ

Thanks,
RM
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Markhm
I got caught in Usa recently. An Airnz upgrade glitch meant *G (Elt) was not showing in system. UA refused to give me 2nd bag free. Small price to pay I guess but annoying. Caused problems at ORD boarding too.
Doesn't *G on UA just give you the first bag free (since no fares include checked baggage)?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have a question about *G on NZ and the baggage allowance. I have found conflicting information all over the NZ website. Most particularly it refers to a free extra bag for *G *only* if flying on an itinerary that includes two or more *A flights. In other words, if flying NZ only then the extra baggage allowance for *G is invalid.

Does NZ enforce this? Is their website wrong? The e-ticket receipt I have says *G gets one extra bag of 23kg (I'm on a fare that allows a checked bag). But the website under Checked Baggage says only if flying two or more *A partners on the same itinerary.

I'm just looking for clarification. I currently plan to check one bag and it's under 23kg but you never know what I'm going to buy in Australia before I fly to NZ

Thanks,
RM
NZ's wording of the Star rules is actually backwards. What it meant was if a fare consists of 2 or more Star carriers (or when sold as a Star product, Star RTW, Star redemption, etc), then they cannot apply their Seats to Suit structure. It does not mean that when on NZ only itinerary Star Gold benefits will not apply. But you must make sure your fare is not booked as Seat Only as this is the only instance where you cannot check a bag even with status, let alone an extra bag. You will be entiltled to check an extra bag on any other fare types, with the exception of Business where baggage is capped at 3 pieces.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So I am seeing a NO BAGGAGE fare from TBU to AKL for about USD102
The fare, including baggage is abotu USD185.

Can one add a bag after booking to a NO BAGGAGE fare?
And if so, how much is it usually? NZD 25?
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So I am seeing a NO BAGGAGE fare from TBU to AKL for about USD102
The fare, including baggage is abotu USD185.

Can one add a bag after booking to a NO BAGGAGE fare?
And if so, how much is it usually? NZD 25?
What website are you using? I take it not airnz.co.nz?

If you use the New Zealand website site it will allow you to buy an option called seat+bag which is $25 more than seat only.

Note that these fares exclude meals, drinks and movies.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
What website are you using? I take it not airnz.co.nz?

If you use the New Zealand website site it will allow you to buy an option called seat+bag which is $25 more than seat only.

Note that these fares exclude meals, drinks and movies.
Edreams has it for $102, but says no luggage
AirNZ has only one option at $185 - it says luggage included, there is no option for just seat.

Its a 3 hour late evening flight, I ll be fine without a meal
I would book VA - but their flight is at 3am ....
Old Nov 28, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Edreams has it for $102, but says no luggage
AirNZ has only one option at $185 - it says luggage included, there is no option for just seat.
Sounds like you're on the American or Canadian of the website, which doesn't allow you to book short-haul product.

Make sure you're on the New Zealand, website by going to airnz.co.nz

Here is an example of what the New Zealand website will display, prices are in NZD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.