Search

Best credit cards for accruing miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS/ *A Gold
Best credit cards for accruing miles?

Hello all,

I just relocated to New Zealand and am looking to sign up for a credit card for the *sole* purpose of accruing miles. In other words, status/other perks won't matter and something that offers a good earn/burn ratio would be highly valued. From my research the best candidate seems to be the Air New Zealand Airpoints Platinum MasterCard.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Looked through past discussions on FT but the last thread on a similar question was a few years ago.

For more context, I'm mostly planning to accrue miles to use for short haul international flights or just domestic flights.

A second question (and apologies if it sounds really silly!): is it easy to waive annual credit card charges here in NZ? In Singapore, people don't generally pay any annual card fees since you just call in and tell them to reverse it and it's never been a problem for me. Wondering if things work differently around this part of the world since some FT threads seem to reference card fees as a real cost.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Do you understand how Airpoints works? Your questions don't seem to indicate you do because the concept of earning "miles" isn't really how it works in NZ.

On any Air NZ flight or Airpoints branded credit card you earn status points and Airpoints $ (APD). Status points go towards tier status with Air NZ, APD count towards flights with $1 APD equal to $1 NZD as you simply buy reward flights at the normal retail price. Unless you're spending serious coin you're not going to be able to buy many flights.

Most Platinum cards all have their yearly fees waived at present for new customers. I've been an ANZ customer for many years and told them last month I didn't want to pay my yearly fee when it was charged and had it credited back, however I would say this is an exception, not the norm.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Are you an NZ resident? You may have trouble getting a credit card if not.

Best combined APD/SP accrual at the moment is the Kiwibank Platinum.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS/ *A Gold
Thanks for the clarification. Wow, this is definitely an adjustment from other places I've lived in. In the US, the banks practically trip over each other to give you miles for any number of reasons. Good to know that it's probably a fruitless effort. Will also look into Kiwibank Platinum.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Have an look at this page http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airpoints-credit-cards it has all the cards that currently earn on NZ, what you'll earn.

e.g to get an free $69 domestic flight on an card that earns 1/$75 spent, you'll need to spend atleast $5000.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If you care about earn/burn ratio, prepare yourself for the worst programme you can find in the world.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by leigh787
Thanks for the clarification. Wow, this is definitely an adjustment from other places I've lived in. In the US, the banks practically trip over each other to give you miles for any number of reasons. Good to know that it's probably a fruitless effort. Will also look into Kiwibank Platinum.

Thanks again!
If you're used to the US you'll also have to adjust to the fact that if you want to sit at the pointy end everywhere else in the world you'll have to spend your own $$ to sit there - unlike the US where they basically just fill the front of the plane with frequent flyers (and consequently make terrible revenue from the pointy end)
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:49 am

Don't forget AMEX

Hi, the best CC deal by far has the be the Amex Air NZ platinum, for 1 year at least.

https://www.americanexpress.com/nz/content/airnz-credit-card/

Free domestic return flight, no card fee for first year, 200APD sign on bonus and usual other platinum perks. Essentially circa $400 for free.

Amex are rather good at retention offers, just ask. so may be able to keep going past one year.

I would combine it with Westpac airpoints platinum for those other merchants that don't accept Amex. Westpac has no first year fee also.

Cheers
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long do you expect to live in NZ for? A short - medium time or for ever?
What will be you travel & cc spend profile?
How many flights on Air NZ will you do?
Originally Posted by leigh787
I just relocated to New Zealand and am looking to sign up for a credit card for the *sole* purpose of accruing miles.....
Read the below post very carefully
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If you care about earn/burn ratio, prepare yourself for the worst programme you can find in the world.
Air NZ may not be the best ffp for you, even if you are just getting miles/points fron a credit card

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 6, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Nov 6, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
There are cards in NZ that will allow you to still credit to SQ if you wish, AMEX Platinum will do it.
As others have said have a really serious thought whether you think Airpoints is what you want.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:13 pm

FYI updated Amex offer - $800 bonus APD on payment of $395 fee and fairly small min spend, still get the complimentary return flight. So perhaps circa net $600 NZD on offer for all - pretty good deal!

https://www.americanexpress.com/nz/c...zealand-cards/

PS - I've no involvement with amex other than as a customer but I've found them good to deal with and thought you all might be interested

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 12, 2015 at 12:00 am Reason: remove referral ID from llink
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by TraderX
FYI updated Amex offer - $800 bonus APD on payment of $395 fee and fairly small min spend, still get the complimentary return flight. So perhaps circa net $600 NZD on offer for all - pretty good deal!

PS - I've no involvement with amex other than as a customer but I've found them good to deal with and thought you all might be interested
Yeah i just saw this deal - it's the best I've seen from Amex. Immediate ~$600 benefit on signing within a month or two.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Very good deal; just applied online. Had this card until 13 months ago, so hopefully can churn this offer.

Originally Posted by TraderX

Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:23 pm

Programs: Asiana Silver (2012), AirNZ Jade
Yes AMEX offers the $800APD promotion now. Some time ago at least the other major banks here offered $200 or $125APD promotions. In terms of accruing APD all the cards are the same $1APD per $$75 spent. These are the platinum cards.

I mainly accrue points too. What I do is pick your NZ CC and then join maybe a overseas programme that suits you but no CC benefit. With normal expenditure. It's not much but better than nothing.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
And got an SMS approval within 5 hours. Well played, Amex, well played.

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Very good deal; just applied online. Had this card until 13 months ago, so hopefully can churn this offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.