Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
Westpac Air Points Debit Card

Looks like westpac has got got an Debt card that earns points

http://www.westpac.co.nz/bank-accoun...rds/airpoints/

Pretty pour earn rate though 1APD/200NZD
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Those airpoint dollars will expire by the time you get any useful amount at that earn rate! 1APD/$250 NZD.

I know people that still don't like credit cards so I guess its useful for them in a "something is better than nothing kind of way"
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There isn't much you can do about the earn rate. As the interchange fee is so low on Debit cards there is very little margin in it for the bank to fund such things.

With the EU now clamping down on interchange fees it'll be interesting to see what happens to points earn in Europe over the next few years.

Likewise ACCC and Commerce Commission action against AU and NZ banks over interchange fees certainly didn't have the impact they hoped for (and really just ended up making credit card surcharges legal), so I suspect we'll see further action on that in the future as well. The ultimate downside of this will be reduced points earn in the future.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I've signed up... although it's little, something we've never earned it on before. Every little bit helps!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Similar to the the onesmart card rate. Not quite sure what expectations are for people who get these cards. Agree with "something is better than nothing"

You'd have to put an eye watering amount of charges onto the debit card before you can redeem anything - a koru membership redemption for example would be in excess of six digit spending
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

I wonder what happens if i don't transfer the $500minimum/month into my westpac account?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by dadig

You'd have to put an eye watering amount of charges onto the debit card before you can redeem anything - a koru membership redemption for example would be in excess of six digit spending
That probably makes the earn rate a lot better than Flybuys!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:39 pm

Sorry this might not be relevant to Westpac or Air NZ specifically.

I recently completed an online survey asking about my thoughts on loyalty program set up by Auckland Airport Company where rewards points can be earned on duty free purchases, restaurant purchases, airport parking, Emperor Lounge...etc. The loyalty program will have different tiers and the higher tiers (i.e. spend $1000) includes fast track / express Immigration / security, Emperor lounge passes...etc. Similar to Heathrow Rewards(?).

What was interesting was the survey also suggested a credit card associated with "Auckland Airport Points" where you can earn/redeem on a variety of goods and services. Anyone have any idea which bank might offer this? My assumption would be the project is in the confidential stage
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:08 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That probably makes the earn rate a lot better than Flybuys!
At 5.95 Flybuys points to APD 1, and on average you get 1 Flybuys points per $30 spent at major retailers (it does vary a bit, some as low as $20/APD 1)... that's ~NZ$178.50 per APD 1 if you collect via Flybuys route.

So actually... on average I'd say Flybuys actually get you a better return than this Westpac Debit card.

Of course not every merchant are associated with Flybuys, and of course you can double-dip by scanning/using both cards.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Just got the card today, but didn't get the small paytag?

Card pretty is pretty cool, with 90% being see through.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 1:03 am

Paytag comes a couple weeks later for Westpac if I recall
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dadig
Paytag comes a couple weeks later for Westpac if I recall
PayTag came yesterday, looks like the full card department and min size card department can't work together to dispatch together.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
I recently completed an online survey asking about my thoughts on loyalty program set up by Auckland Airport Company where rewards points can be earned on duty free purchases, restaurant purchases, airport parking, Emperor Lounge...etc. The loyalty program will have different tiers and the higher tiers (i.e. spend $1000) includes fast track / express Immigration / security, Emperor lounge passes...etc. Similar to Heathrow Rewards(?).
Please say it is not so.... This is the last thing we need; another loyalty programme with more people allow to pass through fast track/express immgration.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by ZaphB
Please say it is not so.... This is the last thing we need; another loyalty programme with more people allow to pass through fast track/express immgration.
I suspect that the vast majority of people who spend enough to get status on this type of program will already have status with an airline so the impact will be minimal.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:25 pm

I was in hong kong and the queues to Plaza Premium (both arrival and departure halls) are always out the door. Quite a bad image because of the local credit cards offering passes and entry and feels cheap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.