Wiki Posts
Search

AIRNZ flight opening times

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
AIRNZ flight opening times

Are Airnz still strict on the flight opening times ?
I recall a few years ago (I was about 4 hours before the flight departure) "the flight had not opened and that they required the supervisor to open the flight so we had to wait a couple of more hours
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I find ex-Aussie they are pretty tight on it, ex AKL they seem to open them all in the morning?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Early opening of flights ex BNE

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I find ex-Aussie they are pretty tight on it, ex AKL they seem to open them all in the morning?
Darn it!

Would you be able to enter the Virgin domestic lounge then and wait till the AIRNZ international flight opens with no boarding pass ?

(But I can show them the Virgin Ticket [I am flying on a VA flight in a few hours time])

The ticket purchased is a Virgin Marketed ticket but checkin is at Airnz as it is a Airnz plane.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:49 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
My experience is Air NZ international flights are opened for check in at departing airport around 3.5 hours before departure, except US-bound flights open earlier.

For remote check-in (i.e. where you have previous connecting flights) this seems to be 24 hours before departure outside NZ and same day inside NZ.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by Beano
Are Airnz still strict on the flight opening times ?
I recall a few years ago (I was about 4 hours before the flight departure) "the flight had not opened and that they required the supervisor to open the flight so we had to wait a couple of more hours
Recently at LAX I managed to check into a NZ flight with baggage at around 1pm for a 10pm flight. I was expecting a fuss but they just did it with no questions asked which I was really pleased about.

- James
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:53 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by KiwiSurfer
Recently at LAX I managed to check into a NZ flight with baggage at around 1pm for a 10pm flight. I was expecting a fuss but they just did it with no questions asked which I was really pleased about.

- James
That is surprising. I've always had issues trying to check in early for NZ at LAX or SFO.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by KiwiSurfer
Recently at LAX I managed to check into a NZ flight with baggage at around 1pm for a 10pm flight. I was expecting a fuss but they just did it with no questions asked which I was really pleased about
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That is surprising. I've always had issues trying to check in early for NZ at LAX or SFO.
They must've changed their policy ex-LAX, especially since the move to TBIT.

Visited/transited LAX 2 weeks ago. My inbound flight was with TK9 which lands at ~4:30pm, while my outbound (back home) was NZ3 at 11:15pm.

When I originally landed at LAX on NZ6 a week prior that around 12:30pm, actually went up to departures (after a 1.5hr queue at LAX CBP/immigration, but that's another story...) and ask the NZ counter staff how early I could check-in for NZ3, was told that they stay open pretty much from when NZ2 departs for LHR until last flight out.

Which is mightily handy for a long transit, you can check-in/dump luggage off then can wander off for a few hours before the evening flight home.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Beano
Darn it!
Would you be able to enter the Virgin domestic lounge then and wait till the AIRNZ international flight opens with no boarding pass ?
If you don't have checked bags, you could check-in online (You'll need the NZ PNR for this, they end with an H if you call Virgin they should be able to give it you)

You could try one of the NZ kiosks, I've used the ones in AKL before they openend the check-in area in the morning without problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.