Search

Another 787-9 due for NZ delivery soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Another 787-9 due for NZ delivery soon

Spotted this while checking flights arrival earlier this evening

Did a search on the flight number along with the usual sources but yielded nothing meaningful.

So it is another 787-9 due for delivery this month:
For July, Boeing has delivered 5 787s so far with an additional 8 scheduled for delivery over the next 10 days. Air New Zealand will receive one of the 787-9 test aircraft that had under gone re-work and rebuilt to production standards. This aircraft, ZB002 (LN133, ZK-NZD) will be the 298th 787 delivered.
Didn't know that NZ also lists positioning/non-revenue flights on public facing sites.
Wonder what's the reason for the cancellation for tomorrow (24th July) morning.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I was just wondering when the next one was due. Aug 11th there's no 787 Akl - perth listed and I refuse to believe the flight's fully booked out and that's why it's not showing. Will have to do some homework.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I was just wondering when the next one was due. Aug 11th there's no 787 Akl - perth listed and I refuse to believe the flight's fully booked out and that's why it's not showing. Will have to do some homework.
Probably just not operating due to lower demand over winter. AKL-PER isnt operating on Tuesdays for the rest of July and August. Same thing happened in May and part of June when the flight was reduced to 5-6x weekly
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
2 new 789's arrive in the coming weeks. These are both the test frames that were reworked for Air NZ and there was plenty of talk that Air NZ basically got given these for a steal as compensation for the delays as launch customer.

Chatting to somebody about a year ago about these both frames were going to be quite different in many ways to the other frames as they were test frames and were going to weight quite a bit more than the newer frames. I'm not sure how much of a difference was made during the reworking.

NRT loses the 763 from mid August as well, which I'm sure nobody will miss.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by sbiddle
That can hardly be considered a loss, as you note. Should be "NRT rids itself of the 763" possibly .
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
That can hardly be considered a loss, as you note. Should be "NRT rids itself of the 763" possibly .
I flew back from NRT earlier in the month on the 763. Despite there only being 11 people in BP I felt sorry for the crew having to give a big apology speech to quite a few who were disappointed they were on it.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

2 new 789's arrive in the coming weeks. These are both the test frames that were reworked for Air NZ and there was plenty of talk that Air NZ basically got given these for a steal as compensation for the delays as launch customer.

Chatting to somebody about a year ago about these both frames were going to be quite different in many ways to the other frames as they were test frames and were going to weight quite a bit more than the newer frames. I'm not sure how much of a difference was made during the reworking.

Considering that they are getting reworked to "production standard", I don't think these -9 will be anywhere near as bad as the -8 "Terrible Teens".

Even if it's not as good and say a 15% diminished range, with the -9 rated at "typical range 15400km" that would mean ~13090km.

If we then factor in another 10% range deficit due to NZ's configuration that's Y heavy (302 Vs 280 for Boeing quoted typical layout), that's still a possible ~11781km range.

AKL-NRT is 8806km
AKL-PVG is 9346km
(AKL-SFO is 10487km)
(AKL-LAX is 10467km)

NZ would certainly have no issues accepting these 2 frames for "a steal" on the routes that they currently deploy the -9s to.

Also found this old Payload V Range chart which some might find interesting.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Probably just not operating due to lower demand over winter. AKL-PER isnt operating on Tuesdays for the rest of July and August. Same thing happened in May and part of June when the flight was reduced to 5-6x weekly
I hadn't noticed that pattern. Guess I've been fortunate until now.

I flew back from NRT earlier in the month on the 763. Despite there only being 11 people in BP I felt sorry for the crew having to give a big apology speech to quite a few who were disappointed they were on it.
It is mean of NZ to market it as BP. I think TT is a good place for the 763 or pacific islands. I still think they should market it as a PE product rather than BP or REALLY reduce the price. Aim for a value for money target. It's not fair on their crews having to explain to unsuspecting passengers, nor does it encourage those passengers to rebook with NZ. They will feel cheated and then they'll tell their friends etc

Originally Posted by Kamadan

AKL-NRT is 8806km
AKL-PVG is 9346km
(AKL-SFO is 10487km)
(AKL-LAX is 10467km)

That's interesting, I had no idea it was only 20km difference between SFO and LAX from AKL as the crow flies. Math and triangles were a long time ago though.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
It is mean of NZ to market it as BP. I think TT is a good place for the 763 or pacific islands. I still think they should market it as a PE product rather than BP or REALLY reduce the price. Aim for a value for money target. It's not fair on their crews having to explain to unsuspecting passengers, nor does it encourage those passengers to rebook with NZ. They will feel cheated and then they'll tell their friends etc
NZ don't market the 763 as BP, only as "Business". The price is often cheaper (I recently saved (my company) over $1000 travelling to NRT on a 763 rather than the 789 on the days either side). What really gets my goat (and why I generally refuse to fly NZ on such routes) is when you book BP and it gets swapped to a 763 - and they provide no refund.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Spotted this while checking flights arrival earlier this evening

Did a search on the flight number along with the usual sources but yielded nothing meaningful.

So it is another 787-9 due for delivery this month:

Didn't know that NZ also lists positioning/non-revenue flights on public facing sites.
Wonder what's the reason for the cancellation for tomorrow (24th July) morning.
I don't know air nz differentiate commercial vs non-commercial any more as they dare to shoot their promotion of business premier live on a revenue flight from Sydney beginning of July.... very disturbing and disturbing to those around with camera and film crew standing/chatting beside you. Also adds loads to cabin crew.. aka actors that need to serve meals several times

but back to topic, good to have new planes but existing 789s already show their age..... was on ZK-NZF and already showing its age
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:04 pm

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the last 2x 763s that they are now keeping (which I've posted on here a few times I've been told are being kept for DPS/HNL and TT flights).

It would be very logical to simply market this as a PE offering on those routes, as part of the reason for keeping them is apparently that a lot of people sitting up the front on these routes are flying on upgrades rather than being full paying pax.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:14 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
How many more 789s are on order?

Singapore <---> Auckland is due to be changed to 787-9 starting 16-November.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie

NZ ordered a total of 12 787-9s. that was to replace 11 767-300ER.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie

12 in total, 3x in service, 3x to be delivered this year. Then the remaining 6x over the next two years.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:25 am

NZ ordered a total of 12 787-9s. that was to replace 11 767-300ER.
Except by the time they started arriving they'd already got rid of a lot of the 763's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.