Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Business Awards in Jan out of AKL... only PVG available...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American

Looking for award seats to get back from NZ out of AKL in early Jan. The only award seats I found are on the AKL-PVG route.

I'm not complaining as they are Business awards on the 787. Just wondering why that route seems to have better award availability.

(I did find out that NZ does not have a baggage agreement with most of the Star Alliance carriers at PVG so it will be a bit of a pain to have to re-check-in after the overnight flight. But still as I got a Biz seat, I'm good).

Anyone have experience on this route with connections? (Routing will be AKL-PVG-NRT)
Old May 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
China is an low yielding market to NZ, we're there is large demand for cheap Y and very little for J.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Yup. Pretty much the only reliable segment for NZ I-class inventory.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by clintonuws
(I did find out that NZ does not have a baggage agreement with most of the Star Alliance carriers at PVG so it will be a bit of a pain to have to re-check-in after the overnight flight. But still as I got a Biz seat, I'm good).

Anyone have experience on this route with connections? (Routing will be AKL-PVG-NRT)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something to do with Chinese regulations?

As far as connections go, MCT is 2 hours for most NZ->other airlines. You will need to go through immigration, pick-up your luggage, clear customs, then check-in with your onward carrier.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something to do with Chinese regulations?

As far as connections go, MCT is 2 hours for most NZ->other airlines. You will need to go through immigration, pick-up your luggage, clear customs, then check-in with your onward carrier.
No, not Chinese regulations. Each airport seems to have different rules. It's often led my the home carrier. MU's international network is pretty limited and PVG is filled with foreign carriers. On the contrary, you can thru check bags at PEK between any airlines within T3 just like any other major airports. Not sure about inter-terminal transfers though.

It's also up to the airport management I guess. Given PVG running near capacity even with O&D traffic they probably don't really care.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
heck, i'd kill to be able to find AKL-PVG on the dates i want to be traveling. as it stands i'm ticketed via BKK then PVG before going onward to LAX.
Old May 31, 2015, 4:45 am

Yeah did this in May en route to Europe. If you are connecting to LX OS or LH NZ will check your bags through. I was connecting to CA so I had to clear immigration, grab bag, go upstairs, check in for CA flight. Annoying to say the least.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:08 pm

I too was able to find only NRT-AKL via PVG in December for I class with ANA and NZ. I have never flown with Air New Zealand and I'm very excited to try. My question is for those that fly NZ a lot, are the service/food/drinks in Business Class form PVG the same level as the other routes? Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wcaldog
I too was able to find only NRT-AKL via PVG in December for I class with ANA and NZ. I have never flown with Air New Zealand and I'm very excited to try. My question is for those that fly NZ a lot, are the service/food/drinks in Business Class form PVG the same level as the other routes? Thanks.
Yes the same.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American
Originally Posted by jawnbc
Yeah did this in May en route to Europe. If you are connecting to LX OS or LH NZ will check your bags through. I was connecting to CA so I had to clear immigration, grab bag, go upstairs, check in for CA flight. Annoying to say the least.
How "annoying"?? Can anyone say how long it takes to go through passport control, customs, walk up, check in with CA and go back through security? Would much rather be enjoying a dim sum breakfast with that time but I guess I'll go through the motions.

Does PVG have a "business fast track" lane for security to get back into the gated area?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:35 pm

It took about an hour because there were a couple of jumbos arriving at the same time--and I'm one of those "run off the plane" types so I was further in the queue. Bulk of the time was clearing immigration: bring a hard copy of your ticket to show you don't need a visa, otherwise you'll be delayed. Bag came out as I arrived at the oracles, approximately 30 minutes after the doors opened. Another 15 minutes for checking and security upstairs.

CA lounge is very nice, though the food offerings are hit and miss. Lovely showers. Shopping in the terminal is meh.

How "annoying"?? Can anyone say how long it takes to go through passport control, customs, walk up, check in with CA and go back through security? Would much rather be enjoying a dim sum breakfast with that time but I guess I'll go through the motions.

Does PVG have a "business fast track" lane for security to get back into the gated area?
Old May 7, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K
old thread but i figured I'd ask here since I'm interested in I space on this route.

so on this route, akl-pvg, does ANZ release business space close in? is there a pattern? I'm interested in getting a seat in early december but there's nothing atm.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
old thread but i figured I'd ask here since I'm interested in I space on this route.

so on this route, akl-pvg, does ANZ release business space close in? is there a pattern? I'm interested in getting a seat in early december but there's nothing atm.
December/January are peak holiday travel periods ex-AKL, PVG is one of the main routes that NZ sells on tickets to Europe. I wouldn't expect to find to many spare seats on these flights durring this period.

NZ is very smart with revenue management, so will only release seats when it knows they wont be able to see them.
Old May 8, 2016, 1:56 am

When I scored my BP seats AKL PVG (en route to Europe) it was 330 days in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.