Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Current process for transiting through LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints - Jade

Hi folks,

The last time I traveled to the States was in 2013, and I believe AirNZ have changed terminals at LAX since then.

What is the current process now for transiting through LAX? I will be going from a NZ flight to a United Airlines flight to EWR. How much has changed? Easier, harder? Longer walk between terminals etc?

Thank you very much,
Sherman
Old May 20, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Nothing much has substantially changed. You will do a lot more walking as TBIT is a much larger terminal.

You may be able to use the Automated Passport Control machines, I believe the criteria is at least one ESTA entrance on the current passport since 2008.

Otherwise, usual process. It was fairly quick for me the last few times. Collect bags and drop them off - or carry them to the UA terminal if you're more paranoid.

Outside, turn right, go upstairs, walk around to the United terminal (6/7/8) and re-clear security.

The walk is shorter if you used to walk around the U, if you used to cut across the parking buildings then it's probably about the same, maybe fractionally longer.
Old May 20, 2015, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints - Jade
Thank you!

My usual gap between international travel (2 years) is just enough time for things to change if one is not constantly keeping watch of these things.

Last time I flew, my connecting flight was with AA (on a different ticket). I haven't flown with UA in a long time. I'm only flying with them this time so I could have my connecting flight on the same ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.