Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best frequent flyer scheme for Air NZ / Virgin Australia flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)

Hi,

Looking for a little advice here please

I'm flying PER-AKL later this year with Air New Zealand in Premium Economy and returning to SYD with Virgin Australia.

I'm a Oneworld Sapphire but have no status with Star Alliance or Virgin Australia. I've had a look at both Air New Zealand's and Virgin Australia's frequent flyer schemes to see who I'd be best signing up with to earn some miles (although I know I won't earn much) but became a bit bamboozled by the whole thing.

Most of my flying is with BA, but I do the occasional flight with ANA in Japan. I can get a status match through work to Virgin Atlantic, but from what I can work out that wouldn't really benefit me in any way on either of those flights.

Am I right in thinking I'd be best signing up with Airpoints as at least I could use that to earn miles on any future ANA or Star Alliance flights? Or is there a better option? Sorry - as a Star Alliance / Virgin Australia newbie I am a bit confused by the whole system. Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:15 pm

As an Air New Zealand Airpoints Member I would suggest you pick the one which you fly more often with

Air New Zealand Airpoints is only a very good program if you fly with NZ a lot

VA is a better program if you fly with them in Australia and with some of their partners
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are you plans with the ff miles earned?
Look at the partners of NZ & VA (eg. Virgin Atlantic, Delta). You may be better to credit to a partner ffp.
Treat flight separately

Air NZ is a &**& of a ffp. Hard to find any ffp that is worse. More so if you do not live in NZ or take a lot of NZ flights.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Stick with Virgin Atlantic, you can earn on NZ and Virgin Australia (and ANA).

Absolutely no point joining Airpoints for such trips. You will struggle to find another Star programme that will earn credits on Virgin Australia, except for Singapore Airlines (another stingy programme). In Europe, UA or LH schemes are logical given location, but unless you're looking to fly enough on *A carriers, I'd stick to Virgin Atlantic. You can always join ANA Mileage Club, but you wont earn on Virgin Australia and it isn't much better than Singapore or NZ.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club (Gold), Marriot Bonvoy (Gold)
Originally Posted by libertyuk
Stick with Virgin Atlantic, you can earn on NZ and Virgin Australia (and ANA).

Absolutely no point joining Airpoints for such trips. You will struggle to find another Star programme that will earn credits on Virgin Australia, except for Singapore Airlines (another stingy programme). In Europe, UA or LH schemes are logical given location, but unless you're looking to fly enough on *A carriers, I'd stick to Virgin Atlantic. You can always join ANA Mileage Club, but you wont earn on Virgin Australia and it isn't much better than Singapore or NZ.
Great - thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.