Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Status Matching Snail Mail

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
[emp. added]

There are? For either programme? I can't think of any tied to the programmes themselves.
F Lounges in SYD and MEL would do it for me...and better earn/burn ration with QF, with the downside that you have to be flexible based on award availability.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
[emp. added]

There are? For either programme? I can't think of any tied to the programmes themselves.
I think the reference was relative to each other, rather than relative to FFPs in general.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
The ability on Airpoints to buy any fare on any flight for me or family is a distinct advantage. As is the ability to buy hotel nights etc, Being a regional Elite means that Air NZ status is much more valuable for me than QF. Regional lounges, seat select and fastbags are all important. For international travel QF Platinum seems much better, first class lounges would be great compared to the overcrowding of some of Koru lounges.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by edmm
The ability on Airpoints to buy any fare on any flight for me or family is a distinct advantage. As is the ability to buy hotel nights etc, Being a regional Elite means that Air NZ status is much more valuable for me than QF. Regional lounges, seat select and fastbags are all important. For international travel QF Platinum seems much better, first class lounges would be great compared to the overcrowding of some of Koru lounges.
In fact, buying any fare on any flight is not unique to Airpoints. QF and VA members both have this ability. What's unique is Airpoints doesn't allow members to buy reward seats. Any seats typically requires much more points than reward seats. So go figure. I can't understand why people would fall for it and think this is an advantage.

Nobody wastes their points on hotel nights unless you have nothing else to do with your points.

But I do understand living in regional New Zealand choices can be limited.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Mar 28, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by edmm
For me, a big advantage of NZ is the 2 RU's each membership year which you don't get on QF
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by pepsi1336
For me, a big advantage of NZ is the 2 RU's each membership year which you don't get on QF
For many people (myself included) they expire unused. They are quite difficult to utilise.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For many people (myself included) they expire unused. They are quite difficult to utilise.
Had to laugh, I have two which will expire tomorrow, not sure of the exact time. Have tried to use them but no joy. Thing is, I have a booking being processed right now so if it comes in time I can apply this years, otherwise I will be using next years!! Which probably won't work anyway...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by macdo
Had to laugh, I have two which will expire tomorrow, not sure of the exact time. Have tried to use them but no joy. Thing is, I have a booking being processed right now so if it comes in time I can apply this years, otherwise I will be using next years!! Which probably won't work anyway...
I for one do not believe Recognition Upgrades are processed before oneup especially if there were not many seats left and there was a high bid. There is absolutely no transparency.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I for one do not believe Recognition Upgrades are processed before oneup especially if there were not many seats left and there was a high bid. There is absolutely no transparency.
I agree.

Would be a pretty big lie for them to be found out though.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by robbau
I agree.

Would be a pretty big lie for them to be found out though.
The oneup algorithm is provided by Plusgrade and I don't believe is shared by NZ as it's the property of Plusgrade.

But Recognition Upgrades are managed by NZ. What if 6 six days out, it was deemed un-upgradeable by NZ but was deemed upgradeable by Plusgrade algorithm, you would lose out to the oneup bidder and have to wait until the gate. Of course this will remain a mystery as Plusgrade will never let you know the algorithm but my theory is sound.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I've been assured by some pretty senior people I know there that this is certainly not the case.

The recent changes to RUs last year (looking and clearing both *G and *S RU's 6 days out and then again 3 days out) was to ensure that these were all looked at before OneUps were processed.

The most recent change to OneUp has seen these now clear right up to the gate, which is to maximise revenue after RUs have all been cleared if there are still seats remaining.

A lot of manual work still has to occur ensuring that both RUs and standby upgrades clear first. OneUp is just the profit icing on the cake for Air NZ.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've been assured by some pretty senior people I know there that this is certainly not the case.

The recent changes to RUs last year (looking and clearing both *G and *S RU's 6 days out and then again 3 days out) was to ensure that these were all looked at before OneUps were processed.

The most recent change to OneUp has seen these now clear right up to the gate, which is to maximise revenue after RUs have all been cleared if there are still seats remaining.

A lot of manual work still has to occur ensuring that both RUs and standby upgrades clear first. OneUp is just the profit icing on the cake for Air NZ.
Are you saying if 6 days out RUs are not confirmed then no oneup bids will be accepted either even if someone has a ridiculously high bid? If you say no then it proves what I said. If you say yes then I don't know how they can achieve that given RUs and Plusgrade uses different criteria. Like you said, there is a lot of manual work.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: NZ*G
Received my Gold pack earlier in the month and was stoked to discover the QF Gold match through until Jan 2017, even better that I managed to use it on an Air NZ ticket with an Alaskan sector with a quick flash of the iPhone app.

Thanks QANTAS.

Last edited by ST14; Apr 5, 2015 at 8:18 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:46 pm

Card arrived - gold through to Sep 2016. The one I used for the match was only to Jan 2016 so pretty happy with that. Unfortunately my flying patterns don't really line up well with any Oneworld offering at the moment.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: NZ *G, Qantas Gold
For anyone that missed out on matching to Qantas, AirBerlin are offering match to their gold tier - giving you Oneworld Sapphire benefits.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...ode=TEE1&cat=2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.