Search

Spacecouch LHR – AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Spacecouch LHR – AKL

Hi,

Finally I managed to get 3 weeks of work for my dream trip to New Zealand (from London) in Dec 15/ Jan16.

As I don’t handle long distance flight that well in terms of sitting and sleeping, I’ve been looking at business class.
But then I came across the Spacecouch and it looks like it could possible work us (a couple traveling) and hopefully be significantly cheaper.

Any views? Is it relatively comfortable to sleep? (I did a search in the forum but can’t find a lot of information – maybe I’m searching wrong)
An if yes, any suggestion on how/ when to book and which row?

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:01 am

I've never tried it, but i read numerous reviews. My take was that it was better sized for an adult and 1 kid or 2 small children. I also read that if both pax aren't fairly slim that it'd be a tight fit.

Lastly, when evaluating our own options from LAX to AKL, the price for the space couch was effectively 50% more since we were purchasing the 3rd seat. At that point, I said...well, might as well pay 100% more and go Premium Economy in the 77W.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I wouldn't rely on the Skycouch as a comfy sleeping option for 2 adults. If you're both short (under say 5"10) and of small build you'll probably get away with it OK, but if you're bigger you may find it uncomfortable.

In the handful of 77W flights I've had I'd suggest it's the perfect solution for kids, but not so great for adults. Economy on the 77W in regular seats is a truly horrible experience anyway with the 3-4-3 seating.

The Premium Economy offering is great but the Spaceseat in PE is a very polarising product. Probably 50% of people on here think it's fantastic and really good for sleeping, the other 50% think it's a terrible seat.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Poster

thank you both for your messages, much appreciated

I guess I’ll go back to the business class idea with Finair and Cathay
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:03 pm

A flight that length I would definitely do biz class.

I fly the LHR - LAX leg fairly freq on Air NZ, and have just done BP outbound and PE inbound. IMO Skycouch is an excellent product and the increment above coach is far ahead what I have experienced on, e.g. BA. Herringbone pattern at window seats provides a sense of privacy, food, wine and service are consistently very gd, you get the same amenities bag as in NP, and I have managed to have solid hours of uninterrupted sleep sitting reclined in the PE seat. Tip: I find a substantial bag or cabin suitcase under the bean bag provided for your feet provides really beneficial extra elevation toward creating your own 'bed'.

But the decider for me is the total flying time. Comfortable as PE is, once at LA I'm ready to get home, lie flat and sleep properly. I can't imagine getting back onboard to sit upright for x more hours.

This is your dream trip - lie flat.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Yes, don't do Skycouch unless you are a petite short couple. It is no substitute for business class by any means. You can go NZ PE, but as you rightly pointed out you can sometimes buy fares in business for the same price on other airlines.

Given you mentioned Finnair/Cathay, that is a good option via Hong Kong (you might find more options if you book to Sydney and buy a separate ticket from Sydney to Auckland, which might be cheaper than the scarcer tickets on Cathay to Auckland, simply because Cathay and Qantas fly much more often between HKG-SYD than Cathay does HKG-AKL). You'll get more than enough to be BA Silver for a year. The other relatively cheap option is Austrian in business, but it does mean going Thai from BKK to AKL and that is an angled lie flat seat. Finnair/Cathay via HKG is fully lie flat.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sunszajn
thank you both for your messages, much appreciated

I guess I’ll go back to the business class idea with Finair and Cathay
I agreee with the other posters suggesting business class for such a journey.

You can read a 'cuddle class' review here http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zeal...-the-777-300er
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:59 pm

We recently travelled from Auckland to London and I did a lot of research into getting a skycouch or not.

We decided to give it a go, so I can give you some good info on it.

I am 5'7 and my partner is 5'3. We are both pretty slim and we could fit in.... just. I had to have my legs bent to stop them going into the aisle. On part of the flight the person in front of us reclined their seat, which takes up quite a bit of your space when lying down. We could still fit ok, but it was very snug and you get very warm and sweaty!

We would definitely do it again, but if you are any taller or wider than us then you will struggle unless you do the sleeping bit in turns (one person sits in the aisle seat as normal and the other lies down with their feet on their partner - we did this for part of the flight and it was quite nice).
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I'd definitely opt for the PE on the newer 777-300s in 2-2-2 it's much more comfortable for an adult couple travelling together. Opt for the center row and you will be able to sit facing each other to share a romantic meal in the sky
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
A flight that length I would definitely do biz class.

I fly the LHR - LAX leg fairly freq on Air NZ, and have just done BP outbound and PE inbound. IMO Skycouch is an excellent product and the increment above coach is far ahead what I have experienced on, e.g. BA. Herringbone pattern at window seats provides a sense of privacy, food, wine and service are consistently very gd, you get the same amenities bag as in NP, and I have managed to have solid hours of uninterrupted sleep sitting reclined in the PE seat. Tip: I find a substantial bag or cabin suitcase under the bean bag provided for your feet provides really beneficial extra elevation toward creating your own 'bed'.

But the decider for me is the total flying time. Comfortable as PE is, once at LA I'm ready to get home, lie flat and sleep properly. I can't imagine getting back onboard to sit upright for x more hours.

This is your dream trip - lie flat.
Just some clarification here - if you were in PE you were in a Spaceseat.

The OP refers to a "Spacecouch" which I assume is the Skycouch. The Skycouch is the lie flat economy seating.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:02 am
Original Poster

thank you all - very helpful!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:57 am

Just be aware the PE Spaceseat offering may be different by then anyway, word is it's being pulled from the 77W later this year and being moved to the 77W/789 PE seats.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Just be aware the PE Spaceseat offering may be different by then anyway, word is it's being pulled from the 77W later this year and being moved to the 77W/789 PE seats.
Why on earth would they pull the space seats and put them onto the 789???? They JUST got the birds!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Oops bad writing!

I mean replaced by the 77R refit / 789 PE offering.. So they can fit even more seats on a 77W.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:22 pm

Bit late to the thread but I can say that ya for two adults it is definitely cuddle class. My GF and I are both 5'9 she is a twig and I am average sized and it was tight with the seats in front up. I dread to think what it would be like with the seat reclined.

We did sleep for 2/3 of the flight the we left the couch up facing each other with our legs crossing and propped up against the wall / seat for the rest of the time. Now that was very comfortable and nice. We sail and are used to tight quarters so it was not a big deal, but honestly I don't think we would do it again. It was great when we were awake but not so much the rest of the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.