Wiki Posts
Search

NZ to Aus prices in peak summer season

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:57 am
Original Poster

NZ to Aus prices in peak summer season

Hi all experienced fare finders,

I'm currently planning a return trip to MEL leaving a few days before xmas and returning in early jan. As this is the peak of summer holidays, has anyone ever encountered Air NZ releasing cheap flights during this period of time or should I book early before prices go up? Currently sitting at ~$600 return (seat+bag)
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:33 am

Programs: QFF/NZ/
I'm not a regular flyer but my first thought is that the earlier you book the better chance you have of getting on the flights you want rather than having to change plans to suit the flights. As for any airline dropping prices over this period I wouldn't hold my breath

ZK-BEU
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by curioustill
Hi all experienced fare finders,

I'm currently planning a return trip to MEL leaving a few days before xmas and returning in early jan. As this is the peak of summer holidays, has anyone ever encountered Air NZ releasing cheap flights during this period of time or should I book early before prices go up? Currently sitting at ~$600 return (seat+bag)
From personal experience NZ will discount TT flights up to about the 15th, 19th is the latest I have seen, never that close to the 25th of Dec. I would recommend you book now rather than wait. I may be corrected though.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
$600 return is not a bad price. I'd go ahead and book, the chances of you getting a cheaper fare (for the flight over at least) are pretty low, in my experience.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: NZ Silver
From memory they did $150 off return bookings (which were also valid over Xmas/NY), but if it was me I wouldn't be waiting for it as chances are you'd still be paying $600 anyways. It's a pretty good price S+B on NZ for those dates, demand would be very high.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
From personal experience for flights at that time of the year $600 is a bargain - book it now. It won't get cheaper, only more expensive.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Only time I've ever seen it come down, was 12hours before the flight on Christmas eye last year.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the input. It's more like ~$640 because I want some checked luggage but it seems like now is the best time to purchase.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:22 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Have just paid $900 AUD return for my son to return at xmas BNE-AKL 24 Dec AKL-BNE 31 Dec. Ouch!
Off peak, can get 2x return flights + $200 change out of $900.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Ouch

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Have just paid $900 AUD return for my son to return at xmas BNE-AKL 24 Dec AKL-BNE 31 Dec. Ouch!
Off peak, can get 2x return flights + $200 change out of $900.
Yes especially when you can go to Europe return for $1163 in November (etihad)
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Is it possible to buy a flight you searched up online but pay at an Air NZ store with half airpoints/half cash so i can circumvent the credit card fee? BTW, if i pay half of my flight with airpoints how many SPs/APDs am I eligible for?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:43 pm

Credit fees

Is it possible to buy a flight you searched up online but pay at an Air NZ store with half airpoints/half cash so i can circumvent the credit card fee? BTW, if i pay half of my flight with airpoints how many SPs/APDs am I eligible for?
When you buy with airpoints the taxes have to be paid in cash but I am pretty sure you can't split the purchase with cash and airpoints unless you buy one sector cash one sector airpoints

The airpoints sector needs to be done from nz (unless you are australian based)

The other sector you go onto the australian website and book

To avoid the credit card fee you can
1 use poli or
2 use the airnz above and beyond card
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beano
When you buy with airpoints the taxes have to be paid in cash but I am pretty sure you can't split the purchase with cash and airpoints unless you buy one sector cash one sector airpoints

The airpoints sector needs to be done from nz (unless you are australian based)

The other sector you go onto the australian website and book

To avoid the credit card fee you can
1 use poli or
2 use the airnz above and beyond card
oh wow thanks for this - i never knew about that! i thought if I had $300APD and my flights total cost $650 i could just pay $350 in cash.. does this mean I will always have some airpoints ' change' in my account?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: NZ Silver
oh wow thanks for this - i never knew about that! i thought if I had $300APD and my flights total cost $650 i could just pay $350 in cash.. does this mean I will always have some airpoints ' change' in my account?
I believe if you have a one smart card you could buy some airpoints with the $350 then pay all with APD....others here will know more
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:58 am

Still need cash

Originally Posted by brenrox
I believe if you have a one smart card you could buy some airpoints with the $350 then pay all with APD....others here will know more
No Airnz still want cash for the taxes

Its about $160+ per person return you need to pay in cash

Can't pay 100pc in airpoints

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.