Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

787-9 first commercial flight AKL-SYD 9 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787-9 first commercial flight AKL-SYD 9 Aug

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Depending on the number of Elite passengers on the aircraft you may not need to fly WD to get PE seating. Don't request a seat and around 48 hours prior to departure service control will most likely allocate you and other FF's a PE seat, especially considering you are flying out of AKL.

Even if you don't get a PE seat, service control should still allocate you a good seat in Y so either way best just to have no seat allocation. If you are unlucky and don't have one allocated you still may be able to grab one at the airport.

I fly TT a lot and usually don't request a seat online because if I don't a better one will be allocated to me around 48 hours prior to departure.

Good luck!
That's interesting. I have currently selected one...presume there is a way to de-select? and leave it to the seat fairy...
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Biz doesn't seem bookable either...wonder if Biz/PE are being reserved for media/PR/All Blacks etc.?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by brenrox
Biz doesn't seem bookable either...wonder if Biz/PE are being reserved for media/PR/All Blacks etc.?
It is probably fully booked. Don't forget that there is a heck of a lot of through-traffic from the US/Asia/UK on those flights.

I've been on many flights to MEL in J (77W) which have had maybe 25-30 pax all bar me and one/two others have been through-traffic. With the reduced number of J seats (18) it wouldn't surprise me if most, if not all are through-traffic.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by djsteve
That's interesting. I have currently selected one...presume there is a way to de-select?
You will have to call Air NZ to remove a seat request.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
It is probably fully booked. Don't forget that there is a heck of a lot of through-traffic from the US/Asia/UK on those flights.

I've been on many flights to MEL in J (77W) which have had maybe 25-30 pax all bar me and one/two others have been through-traffic. With the reduced number of J seats (18) it wouldn't surprise me if most, if not all are through-traffic.
I also note that now Premium Economy thru traffic pax are booked in Works Deluxe on the Tasman which is a big improvement from the previous Works. The odd thing is if you are not a status holder you will have lounge access for the Tasman sector but not on the long haul.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I also note that now Premium Economy thru traffic pax are booked in Works Deluxe on the Tasman which is a big improvement from the previous Works. The odd thing is if you are not a status holder you will have lounge access for the Tasman sector but not on the long haul.
I think they've been doing it quite awhile now. I know someone last year (about Sept/Oct) who flew SYD-AKL-YVR in U and received WD SYD-AKL. Maybe it is because it opens up the PE seating in wide bodied a/c for consistency in service/seating

I know it's been the case since the inception of S2S. About 18 months ago I had to do TBU-AKL-LAX in J and TBU-AKL was on a 320. Works Deluxe was printed on my BP.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:37 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
It's just like how QF puts those travelling Y+ long haul in J for the trans Tasman leg if there's room... Arguably they may get lounge access on arrival into SYD/MEL with that?
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ANZ787900
It's just like how QF puts those travelling Y+ long haul in J for the trans Tasman leg if there's room... Arguably they may get lounge access on arrival into SYD/MEL with that?
Indeed. However, QF may have an internal policy which bars these pax from the lounge???

NZ would get around it as you have to be departing in J in order to access the lounge.

Slightly off topic (as you mentioned QF), but, out of interest I did see a very, very good F deal on QF to HKG from AKL. It was about $6900 return approx I believe.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Indeed. However, QF may have an internal policy which bars these pax from the lounge???

NZ would get around it as you have to be departing in J in order to access the lounge.
Works Deluxe pax have access to lounges in their own right.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:09 am

Works Deluxe pax have access to lounges in their own right.
Should've been clearer - meant no access for PE pax AKL-LAX (for example) if they arrive in WD on the same ticket.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Should've been clearer - meant no access for PE pax AKL-LAX (for example) if they arrive in WD on the same ticket.
Sure. I did not know QF Business pax had lounge access on arrival.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
That is a good improvement too. Again, surprised that something so simple took NZ so long to do.

Sure. I did not know QF Business pax had lounge access on arrival.
I don't think they do - but it's been a while since I've had to rely on class of service QF lounge access. The QF lounge pages aren't particularly clear for CoS-based access but I'd be surprised if you could get access at SYD on AKL-SYD-LAX where only AKL-SYD was booked in business class.

As far as QF PE fares go, I believe the only way to get Tasman business class is if I-inventory is available at time of booking. You do earn business SCs/miles though which is nice.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by ajnz
As far as QF PE fares go, I believe the only way to get Tasman business class is if I-inventory is available at time of booking. You do earn business SCs/miles though which is nice.
QF PE will book into Business Class TT if you are buying the full fare, usually $300 over Saver. IME you do need to have I and D fares available.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Depending on the number of Elite passengers on the aircraft you may not need to fly WD to get PE seating. Don't request a seat and around 48 hours prior to departure service control will most likely allocate you and other FF's a PE seat, especially considering you are flying out of AKL.

Even if you don't get a PE seat, service control should still allocate you a good seat in Y so either way best just to have no seat allocation. If you are unlucky and don't have one allocated you still may be able to grab one at the airport.

I fly TT a lot and usually don't request a seat online because if I don't a better one will be allocated to me around 48 hours prior to departure.

Good luck!
Took your advice and rather than calling to change seats, I cancelled my ticket and rebooked myself on the same flight whilst saving $200 and locking in a non-flexi seat only fare.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
J class now available on the outward bound leg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.