Search

Difficult to utilise upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ANZ, USAir
Difficult to utilise upgrades

I've encountered two issues today:

1) It seems impossible for me to request my Silver recognition upgrade AND put in a OneUp bid for my husband. So, we'll just fly in separate cabins then...?!

2) Looking at the OneUp bids, it starts at $550 ("very poor"), $750 is now "weak", $900 is now "average" (as if!), and it takes $1000 to get to "strong".

I understand that requesting a recognition upgrade and a OneUp (even if possible to do for one person) there is a risk one of us will not be successful. Still, when am I meant to use my recognition upgrade? I only travel with my husband.

Bah!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by LoganNZed
I've encountered two issues today:

1) It seems impossible for me to request my Silver recognition upgrade AND put in a OneUp bid for my husband. So, we'll just fly in separate cabins then...?!

2) Looking at the OneUp bids, it starts at $550 ("very poor"), $750 is now "weak", $900 is now "average" (as if!), and it takes $1000 to get to "strong".

I understand that requesting a recognition upgrade and a OneUp (even if possible to do for one person) there is a risk one of us will not be successful. Still, when am I meant to use my recognition upgrade? I only travel with my husband.

Bah!
Welcome to the useless world of Airpoints. Usually the only way to use these RU is on trans tasman or up to Asia. Usually near to impossible to use up to LAX and LHR unless your are an Elite.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
For the past three years I have had trouble using my RUs. For a start, I tend to fly other airlines overseas, which makes it pretty hard to use RUs. Then, I really only find them valuable in long haul, so I save them for family trips to the US (the family would not want to fly to the US via Sydney on QF - I have no such qualms). Only trouble is, with a school-age daughter, I am limited to the school holidays. The flights are always chocka, so RUs go unused.

Last year, I used my RUs for an upgrade to Works Deluxe on a CNS flight (what a waste). The year before they expired unused. The year before that I used them on a SYD trip on the 763. So far this year, I have not had any flights where I would be able to sue the 3 I now have.

My last six applications for RUs on flights to/from US (LAX and HNL) have all been rejected.

It is ceasing to be a useful benefit for me.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:09 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Smile

Originally Posted by pbl22
For the past three years I have had trouble using my RUs. For a start, I tend to fly other airlines overseas, which makes it pretty hard to use RUs. Then, I really only find them valuable in long haul, so I save them for family trips to the US (the family would not want to fly to the US via Sydney on QF - I have no such qualms). Only trouble is, with a school-age daughter, I am limited to the school holidays. The flights are always chocka, so RUs go unused.

Last year, I used my RUs for an upgrade to Works Deluxe on a CNS flight (what a waste). The year before they expired unused. The year before that I used them on a SYD trip on the 763. So far this year, I have not had any flights where I would be able to sue the 3 I now have.

My last six applications for RUs on flights to/from US (LAX and HNL) have all been rejected.

The wife and I are both G and used our 2 RU earlier this year on HKG-AKD going from Econ to BP.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
I used my silver RU in nov on AKL-LAX (PE-BP) a gold RU in dec BNE-AKL (Y-J) 2nd gold RU went to waste as elite status kicked in straight after BNE flight and my 2 elite RU last month AKL-NRT (Y-J) so I guess my strike rate has been fairly good with them all clearing on the first attempt.

Am still waiting on the short haul RU to clear for Rarotonga flight later this year so will see how that pans out
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G

Guess i got lucky then. Mine cleared no problem 7 days out AKL-LAX in April. That was a Sunday night NZ2, first weekend of the school holidays. Business was only 60% or so full
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond

!
Actually it is completely possible to do so (I've done this several times), if you can't do it online, phone the premium team and ask for it to be done, and make sure you are not deducted a penalty for doing it by phone.

Don't pay too much attention to that, look at this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...-thus-far.html

It is months out of date, but is a better indicator of the sorts of bid ranges that have worked or haven't worked. Of course they are entirely based on loadings, but let that be a better guide to what to spend.

I've only once had a RU expire unused, but then I have some flexibility about dates when I fly usually. OneUps have been erratic though, with about a 50% success rate.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've used 3 in the last year and my 4th in August looks like it'll be accepted as well as the loadings in BP look quite low to YVR.

I've used mine to SFO in PE, to HNL in Business and NRT in Business.

If you're wanting to use a RU flying with somebody who's got no status it's always going to be a problem. Even with other airlines you're going to face similar issues flying with somebody with no status.

A guy sitting next to me in the lounge at HNL last year had an upgrade cleared in the lounge and flew back BP while his wife was down the back. He walked through PE at least 3 or 4 times during the flight to check on her and they were still on talking terms at the baggage claim!
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:22 am

Programs: DL, UA
I've used 4 this year (2 me, 2 another pax I was travelling with) and then kept getting more added to my account (and other people I was traveling with). There's no rhyme nor reason to this - it's just a glitch - so it's been a welcome change to the norm!

In terms of being able to use them as far as them clearing goes - no issues at all. I normally check the flights first to assess availability in the relevant class.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I always get mine accepted (generally at time of booking), often get some gifted (which I also use). Airnz just approved my upgrade from economy to bus (using 2 upgrades) for RUs that I am due to receive on 1 Jul (very happy).
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
My *E expires next month - this week I made an Oz-xAKL-LAX return booking for middle of next year. I was able to confirm my two RU's and the single TT RU on the day of booking.

An Elite needs to book on flights that still have availability in the class needed (R for Business, A for Premium). A shows on Flightstats, E/F and KVS; for R you need to call the premium desk and ask if it is available for your target flight before completing the booking.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Footnote ...

It will be a shame to lose *E, but it is hard to earn for most and harder for an Oz resident - then you are still behind the 8 ball when it comes to those living in NZ. (Purchasing APD for NZ1 each - not possible for me).

FWIW, I also booked a LAX-MEL business class award for 94K and AUD25 - Velocity is where it's at for me currently ...
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by serfty
An Elite needs to book on flights that still have availability in the class needed (R for Business, A for Premium). A shows on Flightstats, E/F and KVS; for R you need to call the premium desk and ask if it is available for your target flight before completing the booking.
And that is how you can get use out of the RUs. Unfortunately, if your travel dates are inflexible, you get left with whatever R (or A) class is available on your travel days. The R class allocations per flight have been reduced significantly in recent years.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... The R class allocations per flight have been reduced significantly in recent years.
Sure have - on transpacific flights it used to be a guaranteed R4 when the flight became available to book just under a year out - it was reduced to R2 as a default in 2012. This was just before AirNZ removed R class from public GDS's ...
Old Jun 27, 2014, 9:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

My experience is similar although some years I'm able to find someone else who is able to use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.