Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SP earn rates

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Heads up on Domestic Add-ons to Intl. Fares!

A week ago, I booked a CHC domestic add-on to a SFO-AKL-SFO itinerary in S-Class, making it SFO-AKL-CHC-AKL-SFO. I never realised it at the time, but the rules for this particular S-Class fare allow booking in either S or H for the AKL-CHC-AKL add-on.

Since S<H, the fare routing rules on EF state that S must be used when available, so the default is S-Class. It turns out I'm in S down to CHC and H back up... and the difference in SP is shocking:

SFO-CHC 36APD-66SP
CHC-SFO 42APD-90SP(!)

Both base fares/taxes are EXACTLY the same.

So heads up for anyone booking domestic Add-ons on international fares that allow multiple fare buckets; make sure to pick add-on flights where only the highest allowed fare bucket is not sold out!

#simplicity
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by youai779
Hey guys, so should we be emailing someone after every flight that was purchased prior to the 31st of March?
I decided I simply be couldn't be bothered arguing the toss over, in my case, less than 20SP. That's not going to make any difference to me at all.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kaimanawa
A week ago, I booked a CHC domestic add-on to a SFO-AKL-SFO itinerary in S-Class, making it SFO-AKL-CHC-AKL-SFO. I never realised it at the time, but the rules for this particular S-Class fare allow booking in either S or H for the AKL-CHC-AKL add-on.

Since S<H, the fare routing rules on EF state that S must be used when available, so the default is S-Class. It turns out I'm in S down to CHC and H back up... and the difference in SP is shocking:

SFO-CHC 36APD-66SP
CHC-SFO 42APD-90SP(!)

So heads up for anyone booking domestic Add-ons on international fares that allow multiple fare buckets; make sure to pick add-on flights where only the highest allowed fare bucket is not sold out!

#simplicity
Looks like there is something seriously screwed there - the difference between S and H for a AKL/CHC flights isn't that much!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Looks like there is something seriously screwed there - the difference between S and H for a AKL/CHC flights isn't that much!
Apparently $0 difference!
Old Apr 12, 2014, 6:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some

SFO-CHC 36APD-66SP
CHC-SFO 42APD-90SP(!)

#simplicity
That is ridiculous and shows the lie that earn relates to fare.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

What's very interesting is the fare rules for domestic add-ons, S isn't mentioned

3. Book domestic flights sectors in H class when domestic add-on is sold in combination with International
Economy Global Saver fares. (i.e. P/K/G/S/L/T/W/V/Q)
4. Book domestic flight sectors in Y class when domestic add-on is sold in combination with Economy Global Flexi
(i.e. H/M/B/Y), Premium Economy (i.e. A/O/E/U) or Business Class/Business Premier fares. (i.e. J/Z/D/C)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 9:04 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
What's very interesting is the fare rules for domestic add-ons, S isn't mentioned

3. Book domestic flights sectors in H class when domestic add-on is sold in combination with International
Economy Global Saver fares. (i.e. P/K/G/S/L/T/W/V/Q)
4. Book domestic flight sectors in Y class when domestic add-on is sold in combination with Economy Global Flexi
(i.e. H/M/B/Y), Premium Economy (i.e. A/O/E/U) or Business Class/Business Premier fares. (i.e. J/Z/D/C)
You're looking at the fare rules ex-NZ, whereas OP is ex-USA.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
You're looking at the fare rules ex-NZ, whereas OP is ex-USA.
Correct... Here's the routing rule from EF for domestic add-ons for ex-USA S fares.

VIA NZ S REQUIRED WHEN AVAILABLE S- FARES WITHIN NEW ZEALAND
VIA NZ H REQUIRED S- FARES WITHIN NEW ZEALAND
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:43 am
Original Poster

I just had a look at my flights to Hawaii next month.

Earn table in myairnz shows 46 SP WLG->HNL (S class) and 52 SP HNL -> WLG (L class)

The airnzpoints website shows 31 SP for the S class fare + 8 SP for the domestic connection and 40 SP for the L class and 8 for the domestic connection.

Who am I supposed to believe? myairnz or the airnzpoints site?

If you don't do an advanced search it shows a range of 40-56 for economy smart saver + 8 SP for the domestic connection. If you actually click on advanced and select the seat only S you'll get a measly 29 SP + 8 SP for the connection.

Clearly you can't rely on the basic search, or what myairnz shows!
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot

Clearly you can't rely on the basic search, or what myairnz shows!
No, you can't. I have an AKL-HNL return booked in June. Both legs are in L class, Works outbound and Seat + Bag on the return. MyAirNZ and mPass are showing 44 SPs in both directions, which is correct for the Works sector, but the Seat + Bag leg should be 40.

The basic search appears correct for non-sale fares only. I regularly fly TT on S class sale fares. Had I booked any before the advanced search was added, I would be spitting.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

It doesn't worry me for Hawaii as the flights were booked before the change and I've got an email from Air NZ saying to contact them to get the previous earning rate but the whole system is just a joke. IMHO the fact points junkies can't work out a system should have alarm bells ringing.

I booked flights to the US last night and spent a lot of time last night trying to work out my exact routing, in part so I could get one final 744 flight. There were a few interesting observations which throw the "SP are related to earning spend" out the door including getting more points for flying via SFO or LAX to YVR (logical since there is a AC codeshare) but the cost is cheaper than flying direct, and seemingly different booking class and earn rates for booking a flight via the multi stop tool but paying the same price. As the multi stop tool does show earn during the booking process it made things even harder. I wanted to get enough points for my *G without going too far over and didn't want to book PE home on the 744 as I'd prefer to throw some A$ and take my chances with a OneUp or have an RU to use if it's not accepted to BP on the way over. At least economy in the 744 is relatively enjoyable, unlike economy on the 773 which I would avoid at all costs!

Another thing I found interesting is the high cost of UA connections within the US. There were ~$400 differences between the cost of the VX vs UA flights between LAS and LAX/SFO.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:25 pm

Just looked at my upcoming RAR flight and SP earning "estimate" has changed from 83 to 116 - maybe they going back to old system or have relooked at the PI earning and made it the same as all other flights!!
Could this be a bouquet rather than a brickbat??
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Just looked at my upcoming RAR flight and SP earning "estimate" has changed from 83 to 116 - maybe they going back to old system or have relooked at the PI earning and made it the same as all other flights!!
Could this be a bouquet rather than a brickbat??
So have ours in J, just increased to 189 (including domestic flights) from around 110. That's great.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
On GAS this morning they have AKL-HLZ for $29 and nets 8SP....you can fly return and get (16SP) for cheaper than most of the other O.W fares on the GASsite which also only net 8SP.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by brenrox
On GAS this morning they have AKL-HLZ for $29 and nets 8SP....you can fly return and get (16SP) for cheaper than most of the other O.W fares on the GASsite which also only net 8SP.
The problem is it is very difficult to get an AKL-HLZ same day return due to both the timing of the flights, and the specific flights which tend to have GAS availability. I have never seen it workable in the weekends, but have not looked extensively at weekdays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.