Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ axe HKG-LHR service (from 4 March 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ axe HKG-LHR service (from 4 March 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by NZ_Traveller
Granted, some of CX's aircraft used on the AKL-HKG service using the older, inferior J seats, but how long will that last and does it really override the price differential?
CX is NOT putting the new J seat into the A343 - the retrofit next year will only be for installing Y+ seats and apparently improving the IFE in Economy. We're having to (probably) wait until the A351 is delivered before we see a totally new product from CX.. It's a shame. Then again, it's herringbone for herringbone..

But after reading all this, it seems like this thing is a complete shambles at the moment.. They either need to co-operate more closely and open more codeshares through HKG with CX soon or people will just fly with CX alone or another airline.. You'd think it'd be common sense for NZ to codeshare on at least one HKG-LHR flight.. Which in turn could be expanded to FRA, CDG, AMS, FCO..
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
CX lounges in HKG are just nice, how would you describe KC at AKL?

CX HKG lounges are miles ahead, the fabulous shower facilities is enough said. Not to mention there are three lounges to choose from! (The Pier, The Wing, The Cabin an G16)
To me the KC at AKL International was as good as the Wing and the Pier, and probably better in terms of food outside very set hours. WiFi also worked there whereas as the lounges in HKG fill up, it drops dead. I don't think I've ever showered in AKL International so don't have a comparison there.

Yes the wing/pier are pretty, but the food (for me) is borderline worthless. Last time I found myself with ~10 hours to kill in HKG I bounced around the lounges, including the then-new QF lounge.

Originally Posted by craver
Good to see NZ still has some loyal customers left then
Hardly. Perhaps "more experienced in airlines IRROPs/schedule changes/reroutes".
I was asking them to honour a confirmed booking in the ticketed service class or to be reaccommodated.
Airpoints Terms 3.1.7, 3.2.3.1.3, 3.2.3.1.4, etc make it clear that upgrades are not guaranteed in the way a ticket is, not that a ticket itself is guaranteed. You could possibly argue that they are not honoring COC 9.3 however I suspect that the law would be vague around the concept of the upgrade. They did refund (I assume) the Airpoints involved; and presumably you could have had the whole itinerary refunded if their proposals did not meet your preferences.

But in any event LAX is a very long way from HKG... What you suggest would only work for people coming all the way from AKL.
That is true. I had assumed this was part of an AKL-LHR itinerary. Which if it is not, you don't really have much in the way of alternatives beyond refunding the NZ fare altogether.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ANZ787900
But after reading all this, it seems like this thing is a complete shambles at the moment.. They either need to co-operate more closely and open more codeshares through HKG with CX soon or people will just fly with CX alone or another airline.. You'd think it'd be common sense for NZ to codeshare on at least one HKG-LHR flight.. Which in turn could be expanded to FRA, CDG, AMS, FCO..
Yes; I am puzzled by this too after re-re-reading. Without a codeshare on HKG-LHR I don't understand why they would codeshare AKL-HKG. There was an NZ code on SQ285/286 for a couple of years but that quietly went away, and it served no particular help when attempting to get to/from SIN for me.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
To me the KC at AKL International was as good as the Wing and the Pier, and probably better in terms of food outside very set hours. WiFi also worked there whereas as the lounges in HKG fill up, it drops dead. I don't think I've ever showered in AKL International so don't have a comparison there.

Yes the wing/pier are pretty, but the food (for me) is borderline worthless. Last time I found myself with ~10 hours to kill in HKG I bounced around the lounges, including the then-new QF lounge.
There was a thread in the CX forum a few months ago about the wifi speeds in The Wing and the OP concluded that it was just as easy/quicker to use the HKIA wifi network.

AKL KC has nothing on The Noodle Bar in terms of cooked in front of you food. There are toasted sandwiches in The Cabin - yet to try one as I had already eaten before leaving The Wing for a lounge crawl. But yes, the buffet options didn't really appeal..
Old Nov 5, 2012, 2:54 pm

There was a thread in the CX forum a few months ago about the wifi speeds in The Wing and the OP concluded that it was just as easy/quicker to use the HKIA wifi network.
HKIA network has issues with some VPN clients due to proxy ARP behavior. It can be worked around but it also is not perfect.

AKL KC has nothing on The Noodle Bar in terms of cooked in front of you food. There are toasted sandwiches in The Cabin - yet to try one as I had already eaten before leaving The Wing for a lounge crawl. But yes, the buffet options didn't really appeal..
True on the cooked in front of you food; however for me it has rarely worked out usually due to the presence of shellfish.

Good business lounge (food, drinks, wifi) would be BA T5.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:06 pm

HKIA network has issues with some VPN clients due to proxy ARP behavior. It can be worked around but it also is not perfect.

True on the cooked in front of you food; however for me it has rarely worked out usually due to the presence of shellfish.

Good business lounge (food, drinks, wifi) would be BA T5.
Right, must be a pain with the whole VPN issue.. I just use my phone in the HK lounges as I can't be bothered getting my laptop out.

I'm sure there are other options, such as beef noodle soup or something? And yes, BA T5 is on the wishlist.. Next time I go to London, I'll find some way to use it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E
re-booking instructions

http://www.airnzagent.co.nz/assets/a...ess-HKGLON.pdf
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by highpeak1
The revenue from the leased slots at LHR will come in handy (I can't imagine they would just hand them back). Useful for an Asian service expansion. Wonder if CX wants more LHR frequencies?
How do such slot leases usually work? What is the length of time on a lease? Could be an indicator of whether this is a suspension until the 789s arrive or a permanent withdrawal.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:14 pm

AIR NEW ZEALAND ANNOUNCES CHANGES TO HONG KONG AND LONDON SERVICES
Air New Zealand has today announced that effective 03 March 2013 services between Hong Kong and London will be withdrawn with the last services operating the route as follows.

NZ35 Sunday 03 Mar 2013 HKG/LHR (as an extension of NZ35 / 02 Mar 2013 ex AKL)
NZ38 Sunday 03 Mar 2013 LHR/HKG (continuing as NZ38 / 04 Mar 2013 to AKL)

In addition Air New Zealand has formed an alliance with Cathay Pacific on the Auckland – Hong Kong route. The changes are part of Air New Zealand’s strategy to return its international network to profitability. A key focus of this strategy is the successful implementation of an alliance based network with a Pacific Rim focus.

The decision to exit from the Hong Kong – London route will enable more capacity to be redeployed onto the popular North American destinations of Los Angeles and San Francisco. Air New Zealand is excited about our upcoming move to the Tom Bradley terminal at LAX where Air New Zealand has been contracted to design and operate a brand new and much improved Star Alliance lounge, making Los Angeles a great place to connect through to London or destinations further into Europe. Air New Zealand remains committed to servicing Europe, via these daily Los Angeles – London services, and our membership of the Star Alliance network.

The Air New Zealand/Cathay Pacific alliance will see both carriers continue to operate the same flight frequency between Auckland and Hong Kong while introducing code share on each other’s flights. The code share services will go on sale from 12 December 2012 for travel on/after 31 January 2013 and present Air New Zealand with more opportunities to expand our network reach, and improve connectivity, beyond Hong Kong. Air New Zealand airfares will be updated over the coming weeks to incorporate new travel options with Cathay Pacific (CX) and Dragonair.(KA).

Air New Zealand operates daily year round services between Auckland and Hong Kong while Cathay Pacific operates daily year round services and up to double daily in the peak period between 12 December and 1 March. Schedule details are noted below.

Auckland-Hong Kong Hong Kong-Auckland
Dep Arr Dep Arr
Air NZ 2159 0605+1 1920 1115+1
Cathay Pacific 1435 2100 2100 1310+1
Cathay Pacific* 0855 1520 1525 0730+1
* seasonal

Airpoints and Koru Benefits from Air New Zealand / Cathay Pacific alliance
Air New Zealand Airpoints members will earn Airpoints Dollars* on Cathay Pacific operated flights between Auckland and Hong Kong regardless of whether they are travelling on a CX or an NZ flight number.

In addition Airpoints Gold/Gold Elite and Koru members travelling on Air New Zealand marketed flight numbers (e.g. NZ4990 AKLHKG) operated by Cathay Pacific will receive lounge access and premium customer benefits such as Status Points, additional baggage, priority check-in, priority baggage and priority seating on the Auckland-Hong Kong route. Airpoints Gold/Gold Elite will also obtain access to Cathay Pacific and Dragonair Business Class lounges in Beijing and Shanghai when connecting to Dragonair services at Hong Kong.

* Subject to Airpoints terms and conditions

Re-accommodation of customers affected by Air New Zealand Hong Kong-London flight cancellations
Customers booked and ticketed on 086 tickets who are affected by the Hong Kong-London flight cancellation must be rebooked onto an alternative Cathay Pacific or Virgin Atlantic connecting service no later than Friday 16 November 2012. The process for rebooking and reissuing tickets is outlined in the attached re-accommodation guideline. There are likely four scenarios where passengers will be impacted by the flight cancellations. i.e.

Passengers who have a single leg booking on NZ35 HKG/LHR in their itinerary, and/or
Passengers who have a single leg booking on NZ38 LHR/HKG in their itinerary, and/or
Passengers who have a multi leg booking on NZ35 AKL/HKG/LHR in their itinerary, and/or
Passengers who have a multi leg booking on NZ38 LHR/HKG/AKL in their itinerary

If you have any problems confirming seats in the required booking class on Cathay Pacific please contact Air New Zealand Agency Support for assistance. Where no suitable alternative to their originally booked travel is available 086 ticketed customers may rebook onto an alternative Air New Zealand service to/from London via Los Angeles in the same booking class as the original ticket. Please ensure that passengers are aware that they may be subject to different visa and entry permit requirements than they were when travelling via HKG. i.e. they must have or be able to obtain an ESTA or other entry visa. Where airport taxes and government charges change no additional payment is required.

Tickets must be reissued to reflect the new flight details. An OSI item noting ‘INVOL REROUTE DUE NZ HKGLHR WITHDRAWAL’ should be placed in the PNR and in the endorsement box on the ticket. Segment related SSRs will need to be reinserted for the new flight segment.

Ticketed Airpoints members will continue earn the same Airpoints Dollars and Status Points that they would have earned with Air New Zealand on their original booking when rebooked onto Cathay Pacific or Virgin Atlantic. Please note – this offer is restricted to the Airpoints program not to other airline frequent flyer programs.

Lounge access for re-accommodated customers

Business Class customers re-booked onto Cathay Pacific/Virgin Atlantic services between London and Hong Kong will have access to the business class lounge of the operating airline on departure.
Air New Zealand Gold and Gold Elite customers who are not travelling in Business Class and who are re-booked onto Cathay Pacific services between London and Hong Kong will have access to Cathay Pacific’s business class lounges on departure. Air New Zealand is still to confirm whether Air New Zealand Gold & Gold Elite customers not travelling in Business Class will be eligible for access into Virgin Atlantic’s business class lounges. An update will be sent once known.
Koru Club members who are not travelling in Business Class will not be eligible for access into Cathay Pacific’s or Virgin’s business class lounges. Similarly Air New Zealand Gold & Gold Elite customers not travelling in Business Class are not eligible for access into Virgin Atlantic’s business class lounges.

Ticket Refunds
Where no suitable alternative to their originally booked travel is available, 086 ticketed customers may be offered a full refund including taxes, regardless of the fare type purchased. Refund must be endorsed ‘FULL REFUND DUE NZ HKG/LHR WITHDRAWAL’.

Connecting Flights
Passengers who hold Air New Zealand connecting flights within New Zealand will be allowed to change if the schedule change causes a misconnection. This applies to NZ travel on the same and separate tickets. Tickets must be revalidated/re-issued showing the new flight details and the original fare calculation and PNR and documents must be endorsed ‘INVOL REROUTE DUE NZ HKGLHR WITHDRAWAL’

Re-accommodated passengers who hold connecting flights on another airline at Hong Kong and/or London will be allowed to change if the schedule change causes misconnection. This applies to travel on the same ticket only. Where connecting travel has been booked and ticketed separately, customers will need to change their travel with the other airline directly. Alternatively customers may change their re-accommodated travel subject to availability if that provides a better customer solution. PNR and documents must be endorsed ‘INVOL REROUTE DUE NZ HKGLHR WITHDRAWAL’
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E
thanks ntddevsys, I got that from wingtips as well, citing an error
NZ35 departs 2359 NOT 2159

but I am surprised to see that bit with the uncertainty with G and GE accessing VS lounges not travelling on J (as highlighted)
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:22 pm

In addition Air New Zealand has formed an alliance with Cathay Pacific on the Auckland – Hong Kong route. The changes are part of Air New Zealand’s strategy to return its international network to profitability. A key focus of this strategy is the successful implementation of an alliance based network with a Pacific Rim focus.
Sounds like NZ has drawn from the QF book of how to spin a route withdrawal. I don't understand how CX fits in to 'an alliance based network' unless NZ sees itself as operating its own quasi-alliance through connections to VA and now CX.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-GB) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.719 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by mmonster
thanks ntddevsys, I got that from wingtips as well, citing an error
NZ35 departs 2359 NOT 2159

but I am surprised to see that bit with the uncertainty with G and GE accessing VS lounges not travelling on J (as highlighted)
The paragraphs are interesting in their contradiction about that. First it says NZ is working to figure out whether NZ*G/*E not in business on VS can access the VS lounges, then it says they can't.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold RIP); Airpoints Gold Elite; Flying Blue Gold; Emirates, Gold; Qantas, Platinum
If you choose not to 'sell' the slot (though they are not supposedly for sale as they do not belong to the airline), you can lease them to another carrier for whom the times may suit. An airline will apply for useless slots so that it can execute the slot exchange.

There was a wave of leasing of slots when US open skies occurred to LHR. The airlines with high frequencies often leased out off-peak slots. They last a few years (Aeromexico has leased LHR slots for its new operation) and are six-figure sums. The use-it-or-lose-it rules almost encourages slot-leasing.

LHR's restricted runway situation also encourages maximising of the most precious asset.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:29 pm

The paragraphs are interesting in their contradiction about that. First it says NZ is working to figure out whether NZ*G/*E not in business on VS can access the VS lounges, then it says they can't.
I thought it was mildly amusing.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I've already had the amusing experience in the past week of asking Air NZ for clarity on the rules for NZ Gold/Gold Elite access to the Virgin Clubhouse on a NZ codeshare ticket on VS metal and was told that NZ Gold/Gold Elites get no access to non-Star Alliance lounges...

even though NZ's website states otherwise for Virgin Australia generally, and Etihad and Virgin Atlantic specifically on NZ codeshare tickets.

QA seems to have slipped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.