Wiki Posts
Search

*G on NZ with Virgin Aus flight number.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:31 am
Original Poster

*G on NZ with Virgin Aus flight number.

Hi Everyone,

I had a quick question on how this would work out. I am looking at a flight on Virgin Aus that I can't find on NZ's website. The first flight on this one way trip would be on a NZ flight with Virgin Code out of ChristChurch.

My question is since the first flight is a NZ flight and I would have to check in at the NZ desk would I still get my *G benefits (i.e. free bags, lounge, priority boarding, etc) even though I booked this on Virgin's website and would have a Virgin flight code.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
By the rules, only if your *G status is via AirNZ Airpoints.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Whats the flight number? while NZ/DJ codeshare on the Tasman, there a couple of Virgin branded flights operated by NZ on behalf of Virgin.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Whats the flight number? while NZ/DJ codeshare on the Tasman, there a couple of Virgin branded flights operated by NZ on behalf of Virgin.
Going by this:
Originally Posted by Stiney
... The first flight on this one way trip would be on a NZ flight with Virgin Code out of ChristChurch. ...
... it's a DJ flight number on NZ metal ...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by serfty
Going by this:... it's a DJ flight number on NZ metal ...
What I mean is sometimes NZ is contracted to operate DJ71 on behalf of Virgin on NZ Metal
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
What I mean is sometimes NZ is contracted to operate DJ71 on behalf of Virgin on NZ Metal
Who crew this flight?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understood that - I was pointing out that is unlikely to be the case given the description.

For these purposes DJ71 can be considered DJ "Marketed" on DJ "Metal".
Old Jun 7, 2012, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Its NZ Metal with a DJ code share. It can been flown on a NZ code as well if I was to purchase it separately on NZ's website. But, for connections and cost it makes better sense to buy it on Virgin. I was just hopping that I could still get my *G benefits (with United) on this one flight since it is the first of the trip and I will need to check in at NZ's counters.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

DJ8111 on Oct. 4th

It is also running as NZ0891.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:28 pm

Offically you wont get your UA*G benifit, e.g at check-in/bag allowance. Although you might be lucky and get let into the CHC lounge as you will have an NZ boarding pass. You pass will scan red, but if you should them your *G card they may let you in, but don't have too
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Who crew this flight?
AirNZ employees "crew" it - it's a bit like a "charter".
Old Jul 2, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*G, UA, QF
Its NZ Metal with a DJ code share. It can been flown on a NZ code as well if I was to purchase it separately on NZ's website. But, for connections and cost it makes better sense to buy it on Virgin. I was just hopping that I could still get my *G benefits (with United) on this one flight since it is the first of the trip and I will need to check in at NZ's counters.
DJ8111 on Oct. 4th

It is also running as NZ0891.
I had been watching this thread with interest as I was in a similar situation. Had flights booked BNE-AKL return purchased from DJ (i.e. DJ8XXX number) but operated on Air New Zealand Metal: NZ136 on the outbound and NZ739 on the return. Flew around 2 weeks ago.

At BNE, I did not try premium check-in as there was no line, but I was able to get into the AirNZ Lounge with my *G card and Boarding Pass. I did not add my A3 number to the ticket at check-in, so the lounge agent had to manually confirm my status (BP scanned red), but welcomed me into the lounge, and was nice enough to call the gate to find me an aisle seat instead of the middle I was initially assigned.

On the return from AKL, I used the AirNZ Premium Check-in Room, where the agent welcomed me and added my A3 number to the booking while also working to get me an aisle seat. This allowed my BP to scan at the AKL Lounge, and also afforded me priority boarding, which allowed me to just sneak my bag in the crowded overhead bin near my seat on the A320.

Not saying that this is official policy, but it seems as if (in my experience) AirNZ treats the booking the same as if it were made with them at the airport. The BPs had NZ flight numbers on them, and no mention of DJ anywhere on them. I was flying on the Trans-Tasman Seat Only fare, so I can't comment on baggage.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, Qantas Platinum, Velocity Platinum, Air New Zealand Gold, Hilton Diamond
DJ Gold Staus on Air NZ flights

Just completed a trip to NZ and internal flights. Was able to have access to all Air NZ lounges including regional in NZ, I just scanned my boarding pass through which had DJ gold status on it and then had access. So lounge access should be no problems.

On flights I was able to choose seats up front through seat selection online, no other benefits on board though. From SYD to CH it appeared that all other NZ gold or elites were treated like royalty and the DJ gold’s were treated like the poor cousins. In fact I would go so far to say that the particular crew didn’t think us DJ gold should have any status.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold
I don't think any status shows up on the manifesto if you're travelling as DJ*G, but I could be wrong. My boarding pass on NZ to OOL on Friday that I booked under my DJ status didn't show anything to indicate status anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joepakid
I had been watching this thread with interest as I was in a similar situation. Had flights booked BNE-AKL return purchased from DJ (i.e. DJ8XXX number) but operated on Air New Zealand Metal: NZ136 on the outbound and NZ739 on the return. Flew around 2 weeks ago.

At BNE, I did not try premium check-in as there was no line, but I was able to get into the AirNZ Lounge with my *G card and Boarding Pass. I did not add my A3 number to the ticket at check-in, so the lounge agent had to manually confirm my status (BP scanned red), but welcomed me into the lounge, and was nice enough to call the gate to find me an aisle seat instead of the middle I was initially assigned.

On the return from AKL, I used the AirNZ Premium Check-in Room, where the agent welcomed me and added my A3 number to the booking while also working to get me an aisle seat. This allowed my BP to scan at the AKL Lounge, and also afforded me priority boarding, which allowed me to just sneak my bag in the crowded overhead bin near my seat on the A320.

Not saying that this is official policy, but it seems as if (in my experience) AirNZ treats the booking the same as if it were made with them at the airport. The BPs had NZ flight numbers on them, and no mention of DJ anywhere on them. I was flying on the Trans-Tasman Seat Only fare, so I can't comment on baggage.
Interesting...Would it be worth it to call up NZ to see if I can get a seat assignment?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.