Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: AKL Article

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Cool OT: AKL Article

I thought this may be of interest for a few members.
I have seen and spoken to the people who did the Sigma Six project and must say they have definitely improved the International side.
On to the sub-optimal Domestic side.
Auckand Airport is flying high
If you haven't passed through Auckland Airport's international terminal recently you might be surprised at a few changes.

New shops, duty free and catering facilities, a strong Kiwi flavour along the concourses, bold new designs, an increased choice of nearby hotels and even new parking deals and services to soothe the weary and delight the excited.

The airport is even now operating its own lounge for the first time, marketing it to paying passengers and airlines that don't have lounge facilities.

The changes are the public manifestation of a significant shift in management thinking at Auckland International Airport, where the principle of constant improvement is being applied and retail is being diversified along principles chief executive Simon Moutter describes as "good, better, best".

Making improvements that really deliver for customers is about focusing on what you can control. At airports that means "non-border issues", functions controlled by management, not Customs.

Moutter brought a management philosophy called Six Sigma with him when he arrived from Telecom to take the top job at the airport in 2008. He combines that with "Lean" principles developed in manufacturing by Toyota.
Meanwhile, at the domestic terminal, things are a bit more fraught. Moutter said discussions are already under way with airlines about a replacement facility.

While much talk has been about a second runway, solving "sub-optimal" domestic terminal performance is more pressing he said, conceding Wellington provides a superior domestic experience.

Moutter is engaged by the government's ambition to create a hub in Auckland for traffic between South America and Asia.

"It has interesting potential for NZ Inc," he said.
Full article at stuff.co.nz
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
But most of the changes are about revenue enhancement, not improved passenger experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.