Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Multi-pax GE gifted RU/$AP clearing: all or nothing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold

I have had a search but found nothing definitive to this question.

How are Elite $AP upgrades Y->PE cleared in the situation where the Elite is travelling with two giftees (all with Elite $AP Upgrades lodged), but there are less than three (or even 2) upgrade seats available at whatever point these are considered? Are they all declined and offered to those further down the pecking order, or is the Elite offered the option to take what is available?
Old Apr 24, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I have had a search but found nothing definitive to this question.

How are Elite $AP upgrades Y->PE cleared in the situation where the Elite is travelling with two giftees (all with Elite $AP Upgrades lodged), but there are less than three (or even 2) upgrade seats available at whatever point these are considered? Are they all declined and offered to those further down the pecking order, or is the Elite offered the option to take what is available?
When you lodge an upgrade for multiple pax on one PNR, you should get asked whether you are happy for the PNR to be divided should at least one of the UGs be pre-confirmed. This is true when lodging over the phone. I’m not sure if it asks online as I’ve only ever used online as a single pax rather than travelling with giftees.

If you are unable to be pre-confirmed then it will come down to the airport and the giftees will have the same priority as you provided you’re travelling with them. If they can only confirm 2/3 of your party then they **should** have the courtesy to ask you who’s getting them but YMMV…
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I would agree it depends - I can't see an automated system helping in this situation. I'd imagine it would see 3x upgrade requests and if 3x seats not available when it gets to your turn on the list then it would automatically go to the next person on the list. If the team doing the upgrades on the day are under the pump then they might pass it over as well. It could take 10-20min to stop the upgrade process, get the lounge to page you and ask, get back to the upgrade team for confirmation. In that time they could have processed all the upgrades and moved onto to other things needed to get the plane out on time.

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Apr 24, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Old Apr 24, 2023, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unsurprising, and not unexpected. Sigh. Thanks both.

Perhaps the odds will improve if a 77W is used per last year SIN-AKL rather than the 789v1 currently scheduled.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 12:52 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
In my experience (pre COVID, haven’t experienced this recently) you can be asked in the lounge as to whether you would take one upgrade out of the two or whatever size of the group, where only one UG is available. I am not certain this is the default process, due to such a small sample size on this ever happening.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 3:24 am

Programs: NZ *G
I agree with JayKiwi . I’ve only had one experience of this, trying to upgrade my family from Y to PE on the way home from LAX to AKL. At the gate I was called to the desk and offered the upgrade for me only, as there was only one seat. I declined, to ensure marital harmony.

On the plane, a Flight Attendant approached my wife and offered her the upgrade.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Emirates Skywards Gold, Priority Guest Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by gratn
I agree with JayKiwi . I’ve only had one experience of this, trying to upgrade my family from Y to PE on the way home from LAX to AKL. At the gate I was called to the desk and offered the upgrade for me only, as there was only one seat. I declined, to ensure marital harmony.

On the plane, a Flight Attendant approached my wife and offered her the upgrade.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​And did she take it haha?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I have actually done this a lot. It's my main reason for maintaining elite, to upgrade the family.

Pre checking in, it is all or nothing if you lodge online. Nothing online asks you to split up PNRs. I wouldn't do it anyway, since my family members would not get the same priority if split from me.

Once checking in though and upgrades have not cleared, you can ask the agent to consider upgrading just 1/2 etc of you, if space is available, and they will then do that. It's then up to your family to negotiate who gets what!
​​​​​
Edit: Something else you can do if you are closer to the time and want to try to guarantee some get an upgrade, is to call up Air NZ and check to see if there is enough space to clear at least 1/2 of you. They can often do that, but they won't do it automatically for a group booking.
codyc1515 likes this.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Apr 26, 2023 at 2:09 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Related query. With 3 pax on one PNR is it possible for 2 pax to have RUs applied (1 gifted), and for the 3rd pax to have gifted Elite $AP upgrade applied?

Obviously it'd be preferable to have the 3rd pax not split from the PNR and become dis-associated from me (as the Elite).
Old May 7, 2023, 12:30 am

Related query. With 3 pax on one PNR is it possible for 2 pax to have RUs applied (1 gifted), and for the 3rd pax to have gifted Elite $AP upgrade applied?

Obviously it'd be preferable to have the 3rd pax not split from the PNR and become dis-associated from me (as the Elite).
Pretty sure it is one type of upgrade instrument per PNR not per Pax.

Split or not to use two upgrade instrumentsn going to have to ring them.

If don't want to split always the option of 3 APD upgrades.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 2:32 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Yes, you can mix APD/RUs on one PNR. However, I believe you may need to use the contact centre to do this. You should be able to do one type of UG (such as RUs) yourself online first but I don't think the online system allows you to use a different UG type once you've already submitted.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old May 7, 2023, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Yes, you can mix APD/RUs on one PNR. However, I believe you may need to use the contact centre to do this. You should be able to do one type of UG (such as RUs) yourself online first but I don't think the online system allows you to use a different UG type once you've already submitted.
I managed to do RU for 1 passenger and Elite APD upgrade for other online mid to late last year and again last week.
Old May 7, 2023, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drajknox
I managed to do RU for 1 passenger and Elite APD upgrade for other online mid to late last year and again last week.
Cheers. Were both gifted, or were you one of the pax?
Old May 7, 2023, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
I also did this last week. I was one of the pax and the other was on my gifting register
Used voucher and used AP $ value

Both cleared by robot immediately (I had checked R was available)
Old May 7, 2023, 1:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I've mixed them a lot, you just select which upgrade per pax when lodging the booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.