Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Some changes to Airpoints earning on long-haul flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:54 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

Hello WLG Base,

From 1 June 2011, we'll be making some changes to the number of Airpoints Dollars™ you can earn on long-haul flights.

We are keen to ensure all Air New Zealand operated long haul flights, with the exception of grabaseat™ fares and other special fares*, continue to earn Airpoints Dollars. The changes we are making to the earning rates will bring them more in line with the price of the fare paid. We will be offering a more dynamic approach that will see an increase in the Airpoints Dollars offered on higher priced economy, premium economy and business class fares on Air New Zealand operated flights and a reduction in Airpoints Dollars offered on lower priced economy fares.

No changes to the way you earn Status Points.

The number of Status Points offered will not change on any of our economy, premium economy or business class fares. The change to Airpoints Dollars accrual rates will not impact on attaining or maintaining your Airpoints status.

Check online to see what you'll earn.

This table shows the new Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollar earning table for travel booked and ticketed after 1 June 2011.

This table shows the new earning rates for flights on our airline partners taken after 1 June 2011.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Pomeroy
Head of Loyalty

* Please note: Airpoints members cannot earn Airpoints Dollars in conjunction with Airpoints Reward Travel, travel industry (incl. duty travel) classes (N,R), infant fares, any fares booked in F class, and any grabaseat fare, including grabaseat Green Light fares or with Domestic Smart Saver (W,T,L,S) or Tasman and Pacific Island Smart Saver (V,W,T,L,G,K,P).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Angry

It's nothing more than a complete reduction in Airpoints earned for discounted travel.

It is basically a devaluation of the program.

Here are the Oz tables.

http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/airp...nz-from-1-june
http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/airp...rt-from-1-june

Where I would earn 75 for Oz to USA on a K class fare, I'lll now earn 30.

Last edited by serfty; Apr 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:01 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
Given that I fly only in economy (because of my employer), this basically means a huge devaluation in the program for me. Between this and the crappy new economy seats in the 773, I wonder why I should stay with Air NZ?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
This is to say if you fly economy do not join Airpoints. The partner earn rates are just ridiculous. This has officially p*ssed me off. My years of loyalty to NZ is finally over!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Wow, a complete devaluation alright, and even the "dynamic" new changes to premium economy and business are very miniscule-no change to Asian premium economy/Tahiti and Honolulu business and only A$5 increase for North American premium economy and business, Asian business and London PE/business.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:45 pm

perhaps NZ*G/*E should get bones airpoints, eg xx% to keep us happy.

more "promotions" for redemption too. eg xx% off.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: NZ Air Points (Gold Elite), Velocity (Platinum), Emirates (Gold)
I really think this thread needs a new title: "Major Devaluation of Airpoints Program." Otherwise we are just parroting Air NZ's lame attempt to reframe what they have done to their loyalty program.

I wonder how long until the status points drop as well?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
What next? Increase the cost of AP upgrades to make them even more out of reach for the occasional flyer? Like others, this will definitely have me questioning my loyalty to NZ - the more the Airpoints programme gets devalued, the more I will start booking my flights based on cost alone (something Air NZ has no ability to compete with other carriers on the long haul routes).
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:46 pm

Way to go NZ.
Nice to see you responding in a dynamic way and really helping move people to other FFP's.
Very rare to see a company tell its valued customers that you can get a better deal with our opposition.
What next, increase SP's required for status, devalue even further status "perks".

Does it mean that if you book and internal fare with Virgin on the codeshare they have that we would earn APD on a discount fare whereas if we booked directly to NZ we would earn nothing?

Found this though that will help when doing the booking
" Note: Booking class can be seen on your e ticket or on the right of the flight details on the Travellers Details screen while booking.
Taken from near bottom of new earning rates where it tells what each zone means.

Examples from the earning charts for travel on NZ
New Way"Airpoints Dollars earned are calculated on your whole Journey based on the point of departure and final destination (which is the furthest point in your travels from point of origin). For example, if you travel from Palmerston North - Auckland - Los Angeles - London and then back again to Palmerston North in Economy Category 4, you would earn 65 each way (55 plus a Domestic Add-on of 10), a total of 130 for the return Journey.
Old Way"You can earn Airpoints Dollars on a Codeshare Flight operated by another airline and marketed and ticketed by Air New Zealand based on the Partner Airline Earn Chart Airpoints Dollars earned are calculated on your whole Journey based on the point of departure and final destination (which is the furthest point in your travels from point of origin). For example, if you travel from Palmerston North - Auckland - Los Angeles - London and then back again to Palmerston North in Discount Economy, you would earn 120 each way (110 plus a Domestic Add-on of 10), a total of 240 for the return Journey"

Big drop from 240 rtn to 130 rtn.

As NZ seem consistently the highest fare to fly to Europe, this will just push people further away as the reward is a not a lot but the cost is higher. Must now base trips on cost not loyalty to our country.

Last edited by wayoutwest; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:06 pm
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NZ*E, PC Platinum RA
Wow. AirNZ really have gone to the dogs now.

At the same time as destroying loyalty, they're making the Airpoints program even more complex. I agree with other's sentiments here, this is a massive devaluation.

I guess that's the tipping point for me. Bye bye NZ, UA1K here I come.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by NZ*Trout
I guess that's the tipping point for me. Bye bye NZ, UA1K here I come.
Great, another Bay Area 1K - just what my upgrade chances need .
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:42 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Angry

Originally Posted by wayoutwest
Way to go NZ.
Nice to see you responding in a dynamic way and really helping move people to other FFP's.
Very rare to see a company tell its valued customers that you can get a better deal with our opposition.
What next, increase SP's required for status, devalue even further status "perks".

Does it mean that if you book and internal fare with Virgin on the codeshare they have that we would earn APD on a discount fare whereas if we booked directly to NZ we would earn nothing?

Found this though that will help when doing the booking
" Note: Booking class can be seen on your e ticket or on the right of the flight details on the Travellers Details screen while booking.
Taken from near bottom of new earning rates where it tells what each zone means.

Examples from the earning charts for travel on NZ
New Way"Airpoints Dollars earned are calculated on your whole Journey based on the point of departure and final destination (which is the furthest point in your travels from point of origin). For example, if you travel from Palmerston North - Auckland - Los Angeles - London and then back again to Palmerston North in Economy Category 4, you would earn 65 each way (55 plus a Domestic Add-on of 10), a total of 130 for the return Journey.
Old Way"You can earn Airpoints Dollars on a Codeshare Flight operated by another airline and marketed and ticketed by Air New Zealand based on the Partner Airline Earn Chart Airpoints Dollars earned are calculated on your whole Journey based on the point of departure and final destination (which is the furthest point in your travels from point of origin). For example, if you travel from Palmerston North - Auckland - Los Angeles - London and then back again to Palmerston North in Discount Economy, you would earn 120 each way (110 plus a Domestic Add-on of 10), a total of 240 for the return Journey"

Big drop from 240 rtn to 130 rtn.

As NZ seem consistently the highest fare to fly to Europe, this will just push people further away as the reward is a not a lot but the cost is higher. Must now base trips on cost not loyalty to our country.
I paid over $3k for an economy fare on NZ that will net me just that in August Even worse, the partner earning chart pretty much means flying any other Airline and crediting to NZ Airpoints is pointless!

I don't really have a choice but to stay with NZ (For Now)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
My last AKL-LAX flight was in T and got A$80, this will now get me A$40. Miserable enhancement.

As I have to travel economy for work, I will just have to book later and hopefully book into a higher booking class

I find it slightly ironic that the new accruals are to be based on booking class, when they seem to do their best to keep the booking class details hidden when you book on line.

Because I only take 1 long haul a year and a couple of TT (max) but 40 or so domestic flights I really need to stay with AirNZ - but this loyalty is now really a forced choice.

Last edited by jeffrocowboy; Apr 14, 2011 at 1:32 am
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
My last AKL-LAX flight was in T and got A$80, this will now get me A$40. Miserable enhancement.

As I have to travel economy for work, I will just have to book later and hopefully book into a higher booking class

I find it slightly ironic that the new accruals are to be based on booking class, when they seem to there best to keep the booking class details hidden when you book on line.

Because I only take 1 long haul a year and a couple of TT (max) but 40 or so domestic flights I really need to stay with AirNZ - but this loyalty is now really a forced choice.
Likewise, 95% of my travel is domestic, with a few TT trips also (always discount economy) so its pointless me crediting elsewhere :/
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:43 am

Sheesh.... I didn't like Airpoints because of the poor earn and burn although it also meant in many cases if you bought the cheapest fares you could only credit them to NZ and no other FFP. (There are others, I agree, e.g. SQ where even the cheapest fares give you 0 on their own FFP).

Now not only you still can't credit the cheapest NZ fares to other *A FFPs, but the NZ earn rate is lower still. Couple that with creeping fares and it seems that it's gonna be harder to get those awards (except for Discount J awards, where I'm guessing the prices may have stayed the same).

I wonder if NZ rationalised this change as a result of increased Fly Buys and credit card integration. I thought that the rate of earn on such cards would still be fairly small enough not to have an impact (e.g. NZ management sweating, "sheesh, award bookings have skyrocketed since these changes - what do we do about it?!" I don't think that happened...)

Well, at least status points haven't gone the same way. NZ do take good care of their elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.