Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online bookings and travel insurance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That's odd. I tried again now (on a different computer) and Pacific Blue gave me opt-out this time. Jetstar booking engine is down for me right now.

All these checks have been for domestic NZ travel.
As I reported earlier, on another thread perhaps, but JQ had started the opt-out insurance as well.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 4:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
OK so copying other airlines in a despicable practice still doesn't make it a good customer-friendly move.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:27 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Who else got stung by the insurance today? Man it grinds my gears. Am guna have to take up my own time and someones at NZ tomorrow to get it refunded.

Hope the money they make out of it is worth the number of pieved off customers.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
It crossed my mind while looking for a distration while being bounced around Indian roads, does the insurance cover you wanting to change the time of your flight? For example to take an earlier flight on the same day?
Would this make a cheap ticket with the $20 insurance option effectivly a fully flexi?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
It crossed my mind while looking for a distration while being bounced around Indian roads, does the insurance cover you wanting to change the time of your flight? For example to take an earlier flight on the same day?
Would this make a cheap ticket with the $20 insurance option effectivly a fully flexi?
If only it was that good! From http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/domes...and-conditions:

...What the policy covers

Unforeseen events beyond your control

QBE will refund your costs due to an unforeseen event beyond your control...
...What the policy does not cover

QBE will not pay any costs that relate to:

a change in your financial circumstances or desire to travel...
Old Sep 27, 2010, 6:38 pm

Another 15mins spent on the phone trying to get insurance removed from a booking
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: NZ*S & Koru, QF, VA, Accor, Marriot
Originally Posted by brenrox
Another 15mins spent on the phone trying to get insurance removed from a booking
You gotta wonder if whatever extra revenue they get actually pays for the number of calls in to the call centre (quite apart from the irritation to customers!).
Old Oct 8, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Thumbs down even worse for non-NZ residents

This insurance opt-out is also implemented for non-NZ residents who make a booking on airnewzealand.co.nz, but this insurance is not even applicable for non-NZ residents, according to the terms and conditions. Very misleading.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:35 am

My favourite topic

Air New Zealand is being investigated by the Commerce Commission over alleged "drip pricing" tactics that have got its Australian counterparts in hot water.

Customers who book with the airline using the web or a mobile phone are shown a headline airfare, then have other charges added as they click through the process.

One of these is a domestic travel insurance charge, typically $10 for a one-way domestic flight, which is added on an "opt-out" basis, meaning it will be added to the airfare unless customers choose otherwise.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...g-investigated
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Stuff are the only people referring this as "drip pricing". The Commerce Commission themselves have made it very clear they do not consider Air NZ's pricing to be a "drip pricing" issue, which involves costs that can't be avoided - like ticket companies charging a booking fee that is unavoidable.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Stuff are the only people referring this as "drip pricing". The Commerce Commission themselves have made it very clear they do not consider Air NZ's pricing to be a "drip pricing" issue, which involves costs that can't be avoided - like ticket companies charging a booking fee that is unavoidable.
Not that Air NZ hasn't been guilty of "drip pricing" themselves before ...

A couple years ago I noticed Air NZ had a "special" package offer on their US web site that quoted a certain headline price but absolutely wasn't available to customers at that price since a mandatory booking fee was added.

To their credit they did change the page and remove the fee within 72 hours of an email to them. That saved themselves a DoT complaint, a likely fine and consent order. (Apparently we know how to write effective DoT complaints since all have resulted in fines and consent orders)

The travel insurance default practice is slimy, but at least the charge is avoidable.

Around the recent holidays I noticed some other NZ businesses the Commerce Commission should seriously look at slapping around -- hotels. Several hotel chains were advertising headline rates on various sites that 1) included GST but 2) didn't include a unavoidable "special event fee" buried in fine print well down the page. The extra, mostly hidden surprise fee was on the order of $45 a night at some Queenstown properties. The Millenium/Copthorne chain was one of the offenders iirc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.