Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM or AF Business Class for AMS to IAH?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by caliform
Some even prefer the non-herringbone seats, though I am not sure why. I am flying on the 787 tomorrow and I prefer that layout (direct aisle access for window seats) but I don't think they're significantly different beyond that.
I am one who prefers the seats in the KLM B777 over the herringbone in the B787. The reason is the feeling of space - the herringbone seat layout means the back of the seat in front of you is quite close. Some prefer that for the added privacy it gives. I rarely travel alone so the single seats and aisle access are less important to me personally, whilst for solo travelers that is obviously a big plus.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Service-wise it doesn't really matter much. Delta is a US airline so you get to deal with some pre-departure interview crap that's mostly just annoying. But since the Delta option will bring you home instead of requiring you find another flight, it sounds like the better option.

No jenever house though :P
Very true. That's too bad - I was looking forward to getting a couple of those little houses

One question though - according to SeatGuru, the Delta One seats on A330-300 is 21 inches wide, where as the KLM 747 World Business seat is 20 inches wide. You had mentioned that you thought the Delta One seat was more cramped. How can that be, if the Delta seat is wider?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Delta is fine and good and consistent in my opinion.

But I always try my hardest to get KLM / AF as I feel they have more authenticity...

But! That is purely opinion!!!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 10:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by hand_solo
Very true. That's too bad - I was looking forward to getting a couple of those little houses

One question though - according to SeatGuru, the Delta One seats on A330-300 is 21 inches wide, where as the KLM 747 World Business seat is 20 inches wide. You had mentioned that you thought the Delta One seat was more cramped. How can that be, if the Delta seat is wider?
That can simply be the layout as some said above. There's more of the other seat in your face in the slanted layouts of the 789 / Delta One planes.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by hand_solo

It's a question of how the seats are laid out. The Cirrus (reverse herringbone) seat puts you in very direct proximity to the back of the seat in front of you, since you're laid out like this: \x\x\x\x\ with x being the pax. KL (non-789) however has you laid out like so:

Code:
|x|x|
|x|x|
So there's a much larger feeling of space when you're sitting down. I find that the KL seat is also a bit roomer when laid flat.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR
It's a question of how the seats are laid out. The Cirrus (reverse herringbone) seat puts you in very direct proximity to the back of the seat in front of you, since you're laid out like this: \x\x\x\x\ with x being the pax. KL (non-789) however has you laid out like so:

Code:
|x|x|
|x|x|
So there's a much larger feeling of space when you're sitting down. I find that the KL seat is also a bit roomer when laid flat.
Ah ok, fair enough.

I actually have to wait til next Wednesday before Delta releases award availability to AF/KLM for the day I'm traveling. It looks like Delta business award for CPH -> ??? -> AUS may or may not be available for that day - seems a bit of hit-and-miss for the previous few weeks. One weird thing is that on some days, AF runs the CPH -> CDG -> DTW route, and it shows 777-200, which has the new business seats, even though the same flight number (AF378) is currently flown by an A340-300. That sounds iffy though - who knows if the plane will change in 11 months.

Worst case scenario, I can do CPH -> AMS -> IAH on KLM. That route seems to have award availability nearly every single day. Then I can catch another short flight back to AUS. I will have to see how it all shakes out next week.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Right now, it's looking like the DL flight, CPH -> AMS -> DTW -> AUS, is not available for award redemption on the day I'm traveling, which is a Wednesday. Its availability seems sporadic. It's available on the previous 2 Wednesdays, but not the 2 Wednesdays before that. It also appears to be have more availability on Tuesdays.

But, it appears that CPH -> AMS -> IAH on KLM is available for my travel date (and widely available in general). Should I just book that flight, then find another short flight for IAH -> AUS? Or should I wait to see if the CPH -> AUS DL flight opens up?

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.