Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher Instead of Cash for EC261 Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, AAdvantage, Hilton/Hyatt/Marriott
As I'm going through old unclaimed delays, I'm wondering if anybody's got any recent experience with the vouchers issued for the balance of the original voucher. Back a couple of years ago these were refundable I would get the €800, buy a dirt cheap one way and get €750 refunded on my cc.
Also you can get a more redemption options (e.g. DL coded non operated) if you call the North American call center as people over there do not seem to know the voucher's fine print.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Don't talk too much about that workaround, it might get cracked down on.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Ended Up with a DL Voucher - For Better or Worse

I made a claim through the US version of the KLM website - and, in the claim, I said I would opt for an 800 Euro voucher if available (I live in the US.)

The claim was handled by Delta, and the voucher turned out to be a Delta ecredit. Crappy exchange rate, according to xe.com I should have received $870 in value, instead got $849.

I suppose the DL voucher is more easily usable than a KLM one as it can be used to book DL flights or KLM flights as a codeshare on the DL site.

An interesting sidelight - the outbound flight on KLM was delayed by about 2 hours. I didn't make a claim, because there was no claim to be made legally. However, I noticed a mysterious $100 voucher in my Delta Skymiles account, issued the same day as the outbound flight. Presumably some sort of a goodwill gesture, and they didn't bother to send me an email telling me they were doing it.

So, a total of $950 in credit vouchers (each) from this one trip - not a bad outcome.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I made a claim through the US version of the KLM website - and, in the claim, I said I would opt for an 800 Euro voucher if available (I live in the US.)

The claim was handled by Delta, and the voucher turned out to be a Delta ecredit. Crappy exchange rate, according to xe.com I should have received $870 in value, instead got $849.

I suppose the DL voucher is more easily usable than a KLM one as it can be used to book DL flights or KLM flights as a codeshare on the DL site.

An interesting sidelight - the outbound flight on KLM was delayed by about 2 hours. I didn't make a claim, because there was no claim to be made legally. However, I noticed a mysterious $100 voucher in my Delta Skymiles account, issued the same day as the outbound flight. Presumably some sort of a goodwill gesture, and they didn't bother to send me an email telling me they were doing it.

So, a total of $950 in credit vouchers (each) from this one trip - not a bad outcome.
Congratulations! I received 6000 miles as a goodwill gesture but on the other hand they stated I don't have right to compensation as the cause of the delay was a bird strike on a previous flight. I am trying now a different way and I'm claiming to the EASA.

Anyway I'm glad you received what you had to
Old May 10, 2017, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pcsl
I'm claiming to the EASA.
The EASA is responsible for safety. Passenger compensation is not within its remit. It is the national enforcement body that you need to refer to. AFAIK, it is the ILT (Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport) in the Netherlands.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
I have use AF voucher with Delta, and Delta Voucher with AF.

The voucher is NOT limited only to the airline how emit it...
You can use them with partner airlines.
Old May 10, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
The EASA is responsible for safety. Passenger compensation is not within its remit. It is the national enforcement body that you need to refer to. AFAIK, it is the ILT (Inspectie Leefomgeving en Transport) in the Netherlands.
Thank you for your answer. I meant the national agency for that (Spanish Aviation Safety and Security Agency for Spain). They deal with safety but also can give their opinion about this kind of issues if you ask them to do so.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:41 am
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
Just out of curiosity, do tickets purchased with these vouchers count for status (miles/segments)?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by HNS
Just out of curiosity, do tickets purchased with these vouchers count for status (miles/segments)?
The voucher is just a means of payment, like a cc. Miles/segments are based on the fare bucket of the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.