Search

Retroactive claim and expired miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Retroactive claim and expired miles

My FB miles are going to expire soon, but one week prior to that date I already have booked a Skyteam flight. But, as there are several alliances included in the itinerary I will not enter my FFN at time of travel, so I need to do a retro claim when the miles are already expired.
Once the claim has been processed and the miles have been posted, will I get the full mileage amount which had been expired back?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
This is a bit of a fringe case, so the answer is 'maybe' -- I'd get an authoritative answer from Flying Blue themselves, and get it put in writing.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You are really looking for troubles here...
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
My FB miles are going to expire soon, but one week prior to that date I already have booked a Skyteam flight. But, as there are several alliances included in the itinerary I will not enter my FFN at time of travel, so I need to do a retro claim when the miles are already expired.
Once the claim has been processed and the miles have been posted, will I get the full mileage amount which had been expired back?
Why not have your FFP number added at check-in? You can retro-claim the non-aligned flights later I'd say. What you're intending to do sounds risky at best.

Last edited by CyBeR; Jan 18, 2017 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
No.

Once the miles are gone - they are gone.

As there are several alliances in the itinerary, you lose nothing by putting your Flying Blue number in the reservation. This will NOT affect your ability to retroclaim miles in the other alliances after the fact. (Instead, you could just change the number ahead of these sectors).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:20 am

Just as a data point, I had to manually claim miles for a flight taken in December, I only claimed it in January.
As it was posted with the original flight date of December 2016, the roll-over level miles were not adjusted correctly, but FB didn't blink and manually fixed that, so I suppose they will also fix expiring miles in such scenarios.

I wouldn't risk it though, so better contact them and getting a confirmation, preferably in writing that they would do so, and if not then make sure to add your FB number to the booking.

If it is a KL/AF marketed & operated flight, you can also retro-claim the miles the moment you land, so no need to wait 1 week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.