Wiki Posts
Search

EU261 compensation advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

EU261 compensation advice

Hello everyone,

This is a 'prospective' EU261 thread (!) - I have a good (non-FT) friend travelling long haul with Air France TNR-CDG-MAN in a few hours, and I wondered if someone with more experience on EU261 would be able to clarify my understanding of the rules.

AF935 is scheduled to depart 01:40 local, but yesterday my friend received a message from Air France that this would be delayed to 04:00 local - it apparently has also gained the suffix "A" to the flight number. This will cause him to miss the connection (1h20) at CDG to AF1068 (arriving MAN 13:25), and he's therefore been involuntarily rebooked onto AF1168 at 18:20, arriving MAN 18:50 - an arrival delay of 5h25. Alas he isn't a frequent flier, so won't be able to access a lounge (he also wouldn't have the first clue about compensation, hence my involvement as someone who 'knows something about flying').

As I understand it, EU261 does apply to connecting flights in this case, and he should be entitled to €600 compensation (given the length of the delay and flight). Furthermore he should be provided with food/drink during the layover in Paris.

Is this correct? Are there any "gotyas" he should be watching out for? If I have misunderstood anything I would be very happy to be corrected - I've fortunately never had to make an EU261 claim.

Thank you!

sdvr
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Info/opinions expressed do NOT represent those of AF/KL or their partners
Smile

<Removed>

Last edited by Machine27; Sep 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Hello Machine27,

Wow - thank you for that very detailed and comprehensive answer. My friend already left for the airport and I can't reach him, so I just have to hope he'll use his common sense and not waive his 261 rights. Hopefully the journey itself will go relatively smoothly and it will just be a case of dealing with 261 post hoc.

I much appreciate your offer of additional clarification should I have more questions - I may be in touch!

Thanks again

sdvr
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Airlines are legally required to inform their pax about EC261/04 without the pax asking for it. AF often fails to do so, so if your friend accidentally waives his EC261/04 rights there may be a way to get them back.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sdvr
AF935 is scheduled to depart 01:40 local, but yesterday my friend received a message from Air France that this would be delayed to 04:00 local - it apparently has also gained the suffix "A" to the flight number. This will cause him to miss the connection (1h20) at CDG to AF1068 (arriving MAN 13:25), and he's therefore been involuntarily rebooked onto AF1168 at 18:20, arriving MAN 18:50 - an arrival delay of 5h25. Alas he isn't a frequent flier, so won't be able to access a lounge (he also wouldn't have the first clue about compensation, hence my involvement as someone who 'knows something about flying').

As I understand it, EU261 does apply to connecting flights in this case, and he should be entitled to €600 compensation (given the length of the delay and flight). Furthermore he should be provided with food/drink during the layover in Paris.
Food and drink - always. Compensation depends on the cause of the delay. If it is "extraordinary circumstances", then no compensation is due.

Originally Posted by Machine27
Hi Machine27 Although I see you had already posted before I had not noticed you and it's great to see you here! Several other fora have many airline employees who always make extremely useful contributions and historically we had fairly few on the AF-KL forum so hope you are here to stay!
Old Aug 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Info/opinions expressed do NOT represent those of AF/KL or their partners
<Removed>

Last edited by Machine27; Sep 2, 2014 at 2:10 pm
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Machine27
I'll try my best. I am not here 'in an official capacity' though so YMMV!
Exactly, that is what I meant - insiders but who only speak for themselves. I have no doubt that all forum members will accept that your opinion is just that and not the official voice of the airline.

Oh, and of course, welcoming one more fellow Londoner is another thing that is appreciated!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Indeed, Machine27, it is good to have you onboard even in a nonofficial capacity.
Bienvenue

Last edited by brunos; Aug 26, 2014 at 2:26 am
Old Jun 13, 2015, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I'm very sorry for necromancing this thread, but I'm finally helping my friend to claim back the money for the flight detailed above. However, I have 2 questions:

1) I notice that Machine27's previous very helpful reply was deleted and I had not thought to save a copy. If they are still active and could help, it would be very much appreciated (or if there are any other AF folks who might do likewise).

2) When checking the details, I also noticed that the original flight (AF935) was actually cancelled, rather than 'simply' delayed. The 'replacement' flight was badged AF935A - which does not appear in the records!

Is it possible that this may have been labelled as a 'cancellation'/'rebooking' by the airline in order to attempt to sidestep obligations under the regulation? Are there any specific issues he needs to be aware of when claiming, if this is the case?

As I understand it, the law still applies so the net result will be the same - my friend was delayed sufficiently to miss his onward connection to MAN, so instead of arriving at 13:25 he arrived at 18:50 (5h25 delay).

Thanks
sdvr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.