Search

Discount F upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Discount F upgrades

Hi all,

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but reading the Holland Herald this morning, I saw that Flying Blue is having a special for upgrades to F using miles. It's half-price (i.e. normal award price instead of flex price) until April 2011.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi all,

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but reading the Holland Herald this morning, I saw that Flying Blue is having a special for upgrades to F using miles. It's half-price (i.e. normal award price instead of flex price) until April 2011.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
???????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! Please give details!!! Thanks!
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
In French:
http://www.flyingbluenews.com/news/7...en_moins_.html

It basically says that you can get an upgrade from Affaires to Première for 50% of usual miles from Oct 15, 2010 to Apr 15, 2011. So to get an award in F you need the normal miles for J (e.g. 160 000 for a RT HKG-CDg) plus 50% upgrade (e.g. 120 000 instead of 240 000). In my example a total of 280 000 instead of 400 000 (a discount of 30%).
While this is better, this promotional rate is still much higher than non-promotional rates at BA. For 240 000 BA miles I can fly RT on the nonstop CX F suites HKG-CDG, and for 150 000 I can fly RT on nonstop CX F suites HKG-JFK (16hours flight). And when BA does a 50% promotion , it is 50%.

Last edited by brunos; Oct 9, 2010 at 3:57 am
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Alaska MVP 75K, HH Diamond
I couldnt see anything F specific but here is what I can see when going in through the AF UK site http://www.flyingbluenews.com/promot...omoawards.html
Old Oct 9, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Oups. Apparently, I was wrong. The upgrade from J to F only applies to paid tickets. The F award levels are unchanged (e.g. 400 000 in my illustration above). So the promotion only applies to upgrade on full fare tickets, not to F awards.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
The good thing, compared to before, is that the upgrade bucket is F and not A. So rather good availability for upgrades from J to F. Perhaps they noticed J was getting full with the economy taking off again, and they had to upgrade too many elite passengers to F for nothing (like they did with me once). Here, elites can pay for an upgrade, and even if 60000 miles for a SIN CDG upgrade to F is still not cheap, if I have a rather long connecting time in CDG, it is absolutely worthwhile for the ground service and the OK flat bed.

I have flown EK F, SQ F, QF F, LH F, OZ F, AF F and LX F in the last 2 months, and AF has actually the best end-to-end F service, LX being quite close though. If seats, screen IFE and food are upgraded for real, and prices get more reasonable, they can be a real competitor on the F market.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by ranskis
The good thing, compared to before, is that the upgrade bucket is F and not A.
A is not yet BC for First since several monthes: it is now Premium economy BC.
F is now the award bucket for First but also a (reappeared) discount First BC on, for the moment, flights from SIN to Europe and (only!) NYC in USA.

Last edited by delanotre; Oct 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm
Old Oct 9, 2010, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by brunos
The upgrade from J to F only applies to paid tickets.
AFAIK, there is no link to know the amount of miles for upgrade from full fare J tickets to First...
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by delanotre
A is not yet BC for First since several monthes: it is now Premium economy BC.
F is now the award bucket for First but also a (reappeared) discount First BC on, for the moment, flights from SIN to Europe and (only!) NYC in USA.
that is exactly what I meant. Before, you could have P7F6A0 thus impossible to upgrade a full J ticket with miles. Now, we get levels a bit higher than what they used to be, but the upgrade bucket is F => much better availability, and a few days before departure, almost guaranteed upgrade if there are still a few seats for sale (like P3 and more) since they open up the F bucket had it been closed earlier.

F revenue bucket has never disappeared, just most F fares have disappeared. But there has always been F revenue fares and F revenue booking code.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:07 am

F revenue bucket has never disappeared, just most F fares have disappeared. But there has always been F revenue fares and F revenue booking code.
Apart from SIN, I can't find any F fare on KVS. And the price is now always above C full fare.
Could you help us to find others outbounds, as you tell?
Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:44 am

AFAIK, there is no link to know the amount of miles for upgrade from full fare J tickets to First...
I find it on the AF website: 120.000 miles for one way.
So with this promo, 60.000 miles for one way.

http://www.airfrance.us/X02/en/local...er_aeriens.htm
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:43 am

Apart from SIN, I can't find any F fare on KVS. And the price is now always above C full fare.
Could you help us to find others outbounds, as you tell?
Thank you.
there is also
BEY NYC FLBRT 12180 EUR more or less

and all the skyteam F round the world tickets that book into AF F.
but indeed, AF prices its P way too high compared to competition.

it is not because there are much fewer F fares that the F bucket became an award bucket: it is a revenue bucket that is also used for flex awards. Normally upgrade awards use the normal award bucket but for F, they need to use the F one, which is better than it used to be with the A bucket.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:45 am

Smile

there is also
BEY NYC FLBRT 12180 EUR more or less and all the skyteam F round the world tickets that book into AF F.
but indeed, AF prices its P way too high compared to competition.
from Beyrouth LH is half price...

Last edited by delanotre; Oct 12, 2010 at 3:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.