Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for improvement to AF operations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Falco Peregrinus
1. Enable the "Choose a booking class earning 100% miles" option
Basically, have a good online booking system, and to be constructive, they could just copy what Malev did:

- 2 dimensions price visualisation on the same window (like AY, LH...)
- for each fare proposed (you really should have a look at Malev booking page), display the rules
- dynamic choice of the fare for each segment, with clear mention of the booking class, and allowing choice of compatible fares for the other segment (like E & Q but not E & C...)
- allow multiple destination online booking
- have a top centralised website rather than many websites that obliges booking necessarly on the website of the country of departure (same for KL)

and VERY important, before payment, display all fare rules (in addition to the fare basis) and conditions for the flights and prices selected. Still now, it is not acceptable to have general crap "it can contains restriction for refund and/or cancellation but perhaps not it depends who knows, vem vet inte du vem vet inte vi et blablablabla... contact AF for more info and please approve these very clear conditions before proceeding with payment".This sounds like a joke but AF old amadeus website, in 2000, did display all these conditions precisely and somehow clearly!

And also, include in electronic ticket receipt all info also present on paper ticket, including fare basis for example.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:44 am
TGV

Programs: FB Life Platinum
Originally Posted by JOUY31
- Improved buses management in CDG: buses are a necessary evil in CDG, but there should be dedicated buses for premium cabin passengers arriving on long-haul flights
I agree of course.
But i am not sure of the exact level of power of AF in this field, compared to ADP management: some months ago I arrived from a long haul flight in J, and there were two Aerobus waiting. Once all J passengers had boarded the front Aerobus, the purser said to the Aerobus driver: "you can go".
This started a discussion that became a heated argument between the purser and the Aerobus driver: the driver did not want to leave saying she (it was a woman) had instructions from ADP to have X (don't remember the figure, but as we were arriving with a NEV 343 we were around 30 passengers in J, and it was X> 30 ) passengers on board the Aerobus, at least. And the purser was arguing that AF was paying ADP for 3 Aerobusses (where was the third?) , and that Premium passengers were paying expensive tickets to arrive quickly…
Finally some Y passengers boarded the Aerobus, and we left, each of the actors (purser and driver) saying it will issue a report to his management.
So I guess the relationship between AF and ADP is not always very good, and as long as there is not in revolution the ADP management, I am not very optimistic on the improvements that could be made.

- Improve passport control management in 2B (departures and arrivals) and 2C (mainly arrivals) at rush hours; it's not that it is as long as it is in the US, it isn't, it's just that it should be organized better.
Very true.
Just arrived at 2C in the morning some days ago, and it was a total mess to enter the queuing system in front of passport control. But the process was quick so if it had been well organized it would not have been noticeable. Another ADP issue here.

Originally Posted by threy

Assuming we stay put with CDG, build a subway connecting all terminals.Would cost a few €, but would help decrease connecting times, you could also reposition the security checks below the surface to have more space in the concourses / terminals...
An automatic metro is currently in construction between T1 and T2 and will start to operate in Autumn 2006.

See
http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...outcdgval.htm?

SNCF operations (Ok, this is remotely connected to AF, but it would be useful for AF to give this information to SNCF)
- accept ALL credit cards in the automats, not just the ones with an onboard chip issued in France
Previously SNCF did accept Amex cards in the automats, at least for long distances tickets. But due to the level of fraud (to pay you just had to swipe you car in the machine, no pincode nor signature), Amex cards are now only used at SNCF counters, where an ID can be asked.
Personally I don't remember having paid with my Amex in automatic machines in other countries, only with staff asking for the signature. Do you have example of automats accepting Amex (or any other card without pincode?) around the world?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 2:54 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by TGV
Previously SNCF did accept Amex cards in the automats, at least for long distances tickets. But due to the level of fraud (to pay you just had to swipe you car in the machine, no pincode nor signature), Amex cards are now only used at SNCF counters, where an ID can be asked.
Personally I don't remember having paid with my Amex in automatic machines in other countries, only with staff asking for the signature. Do you have example of automats accepting Amex (or any other card without pincode?) around the world?
Well, in LHR and at Paddington station I use both my AMEX and my French Visa card without the pincode for the HEX. As for the Underground, I remember using my Visa card without the pincode, I don't remember using my AMEX.

It is quite practical and I can understand why foreign visitors would be unpleasantly surprised.

Last edited by JOUY31; Dec 26, 2005 at 3:03 am
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:25 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by TGV
And the purser was arguing that AF was paying ADP for 3 Aerobusses (where was the third?) , and that Premium passengers were paying expensive tickets to arrive quickly…
Quite true.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:20 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
At least, the advantage of aerobusses over the traditional tarmac coaches is that they pick you up directly from the exit door of the aircraft and they drop you off at a terminal jetway. They must have high maintenance and fuel consumption costs... could that explain ADP's reluctance to use them?
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As for the SNCF, yes in London you can use a US Amex in the underground and other trains. This issue really bothered me in France til I got a CB and now I don't care.

But the BIGGEST problem with SNCF and AF is LYS. LYS is the regional hub for a significant part of France, and it ISN'T POSSIBLE to take the train there!!!! They have a huge fancy TGV terminal, and it only runs to Paris. This is insane! I've been told it's due to politics, but I don't know if the politics are insurmountable or can be fixed by AF. Lyon is building a new tram to LYS which should be ready in 2007 I think, but why can't they just run the TGV there? The TGV runs from Dijon down through Lyon and it could easily divert to LYS. Today I have to take the train to Lyon, then a bus to the airport. This is crazy for a large EU airport.

If AF wants more business at LYS, they should push for the ability to take the train there.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I believe that AF/KL marketing people and management understand that their frequent travelers want a better website, better airport operations, and for me WiFi onboard like LH! Please!

But perhaps they don't understand how important it is. Let them know that I give a lot of business to LH because they have a better website and wifi on board.

Also, I fly a lot of miles on UA, simply because they give me 6 upgrade coupons per year as long as I do 100K miles per year on the Star Alliance. I can also use coupons when flying LH. It would be nice if AF at least started down that road. I think the seat is the number one issue for very frequent flyers.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
why did you all post SNCF issues in a AF thread?
I understand your suggestions, but in this thread they are quite off topîc since AF will never influence SNCF policy
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you sure AF has no control? I think they must have a big say in SNCF operations at their airports. Plus if we are stating reasons why we don't like to fly AF, the SNCF problems are a big part of that for some of us.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Are you sure AF has no control? I think they must have a big say in SNCF operations at their airports. Plus if we are stating reasons why we don't like to fly AF, the SNCF problems are a big part of that for some of us.
other airlines do use same airports and so its a common airport problem which the ADP or CCI for other french airports should handle.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by ranskis
it is not acceptable to have general crap "it can contains restriction for refund and/or cancellation but perhaps not it depends who knows, vem vet inte du vem vet inte vi et blablablabla...
Do you work for N9UF Telecom?

Regarding the use of PIN codes on French automates, I believe it is linked to France being one of the only countries where all credit cards have built-in chips. I actually don't even know/have a PIN code on my US-issued credit cards, never having been asked for one.

Are you sure AF has no control? I think they must have a big say in SNCF operations at their airports.
France and Japan are prime exemples of countries where high-speed rail and airlines are in direct competition for domestic traffic, and won't do anything to help the other gain market share.

Last edited by monahos; Dec 26, 2005 at 10:14 am
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrissxb
other airlines do use same airports and so its a common airport problem which the ADP or CCI for other french airports should handle.
Yes, but AF is clearly the dominant carrier, especially at LYS where they probably have about 80% of the flights. Plus AF used to be fully owned by the government just as SNCF is and I'm quite sure they used to cooperate a lot at these airports. I don't see why that would have changed. AF is still partially owned by the government and I'm sure senior management all know each other.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:50 am

Plus AF used to be fully owned by the government just as SNCF is and I'm quite sure they used to cooperate a lot at these airports. I don't see why that would have changed.
I think the regulatory environment has changed slightly and this would make close cooperation suspect.
Old Dec 26, 2005, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by TGV
Of course asking for ID is potentially a breach of their merchant agreement with AMEX. They are supposed to simply check the signature.

AMEX cards are currently usable in rail ticket machines in many other countries!

Last edited by CelticFlyer; Dec 26, 2005 at 5:18 pm
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
Of course asking for ID is potentially a breach of their merchant agreement with AMEX. They are supposed to simply check the signature.

AMEX cards are currently usable in rail ticket machines in many other countries!
For example in the US(Amtrak).

Returning to topic:
AF could also improve ground services:they could offer complimentary limo transfer to/from the airport to their First Class(even Biz)passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.