Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to AF: premium economy questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

New to AF: premium economy questions

I'm booked on a Flying Blue rewards ticket IAD-AMS-BER/BER-CDG-IAD, first half is all KLM and second half is all AF.

I'm flying business on KLM but PE on AF and have a few questions I can't find answers to. Any help is appreciated.

1) With no seat assignments available on the BER-CDG route until 30 hours (righ?), does PE on the A321 get any benefits above economy regarding seat choice? Or is it all equal?

2) PE gets SkyPass priority (i.e. boarding) even on these into-Europe flights that don't feature PE, correct?

3) Any tips for our CDG transfer? We have about 2 hours, so should be plenty of time but never have been to CDG.

Thank you!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by sppunk
I'm booked on a Flying Blue rewards ticket IAD-AMS-BER/BER-CDG-IAD, first half is all KLM and second half is all AF.

I'm flying business on KLM but PE on AF and have a few questions I can't find answers to. Any help is appreciated.

1) With no seat assignments available on the BER-CDG route until 30 hours (righ?), does PE on the A321 get any benefits above economy regarding seat choice? Or is it all equal?

2) PE gets SkyPass priority (i.e. boarding) even on these into-Europe flights that don't feature PE, correct?

3) Any tips for our CDG transfer? We have about 2 hours, so should be plenty of time but never have been to CDG.

Thank you!
1) you should nomally be seated at the front of Y section. AF just introduced advance seat selection for medium-haul flights, but it seems it is reserved to Elite members.
2) yes, SkyPriority
3) you should be more explicit about what you're looking for
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
1) you should nomally be seated at the front of Y section. AF just introduced advance seat selection for medium-haul flights, but it seems it is reserved to Elite members.
2) yes, SkyPriority
3) you should be more explicit about what you're looking for
Oops, SkyPriority indeed. My bad!

So does AF automatically assign seats at 30 hours, and when you do OLCI you can switch if there are openings? I ask because we won't have web access until we arrive at TXL the morning of our flight.

Regarding CDG, it appears we will go 2F>2E. We actually have a 1:20 connection so I want to ensure I have everything in place to quickly get to the departure gate.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, SkyPriority indeed. My bad!

So does AF automatically assign seats at 30 hours, and when you do OLCI you can switch if there are openings? I ask because we won't have web access until we arrive at TXL the morning of our flight.

Regarding CDG, it appears we will go 2F>2E. We actually have a 1:20 connection so I want to ensure I have everything in place to quickly get to the departure gate.
If everything lines up, an 80 minute cxn is adequate. But CDG can tip over pretty quick, depending on the number of arrivals besides yours. And of course a 30 minute delay on your inbound flight would put you in jeopardy. But AF is usually quite decent about protecting you should things go pear shaped.
For myself, I book 2.5 hours min cxns through CDG. But I hate rushing through airports and book accordingly.
In fact, I recently had a notification from AF that changed my layover on an upcoming flight (also in PE) to 80 mins. (My TATL - last of the day - got moved up by 90 minutes, reducing my cxn time). I called my TA and she got me re-ticketed on an earlier feeder. I wasn't party to that conversation but there was no charge for the change.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
It depends if you are in auto check-in or not. And yes, you can always change seat until check-in is closing.

yes, it will be 2F to 2E. 1:20 is enough time.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

It depends if you are in auto check-in or not. And yes, you can always change seat until check-in is closing.

yes, it will be 2F to 2E. 1:20 is enough time.
Thank you very much! Is there a way to confirm auto checkin? I didn't see any option under my booking.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Thank you very much! Is there a way to confirm auto checkin? I didn't see any option under my booking.
it should be mentioned in MMB along with a preference for window or aisle seat. If there is nothing, then it should eman no auto check-in.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:54 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
it should be mentioned in MMB along with a preference for window or aisle seat. If there is nothing, then it should eman no auto check-in.
In my experience, auto check-in has not worked if there is connection to a longhaul flight.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
In my experience, auto check-in has not worked if there is connection to a longhaul flight.
that's what I thought too.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
1:20 is only enough if (1) your inbound is on time, (2) it does not arrive at a bus gate, and (3) passport control is not massively delayed. In the event of (3), the staff at the queues will tell you there is no short connections line, which is sort of true. However, if you see different agents pacing the perimeter of the maze, flag them down and they may let you cut to the front of the line.

Personally, I would not book 1:20 CDG connections any more.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
1:20 is only enough if (1) your inbound is on time, (2) it does not arrive at a bus gate, and (3) passport control is not massively delayed. In the event of (3), the staff at the queues will tell you there is no short connections line, which is sort of true. However, if you see different agents pacing the perimeter of the maze, flag them down and they may let you cut to the front of the line.

Personally, I would not book 1:20 CDG connections any more.
Unfortunately due to scheduling it was the only option unless I returned home at 2:30 a.m.

I'll hope for smooth passage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.